Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
A #68 pick has about a 15% chance of making the NHL and playing more games than Beaulieu has played just so far in his career.

It's NOT a good return, pantoute.

Closer to 25% chance. Top 100 picks are good picks - the Habs definitely want more picks like that.

I like the return because I don't think the Habs want him back at the price you would need to sign him. #68 is a good solid pick, and picks are convertible to players if the Habs choose to go that route.

But I hope they use it if they have guys they like.

You can always fault a draft pick for being uncertain, but you need to draft and develop players so these are the types of deals that help that to happen.

If you really like Beaulieu you can argue this move, but most on the board didn't like him much and on top of that the Habs needed to pony up a raise for him. Personally I think Beaulieu will do fine in the nhl but I understand that the Habs would rather spend money elsewhere so I'm fine with this move. Unless you are ready to pay the big bucks you have to walk away and that's what the Habs did and picked up a nice #68 pick.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If Beaulieu progresses it's because maybe he got the wake up call to stop acting like a teenager looking for house parties.

Or maybe he progress because he's gonna be 25+?

People need to stop with that wake up call. It's the perfect excuse to justify bad moves. The fact is kids progress once they mature and reach their prime years. 90+% of the time it's the reason a kid will progress.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Closer to 25% chance. Top 100 picks are good picks - the Habs definitely want more picks like that.

I like the return because I don't think the Habs want him back at the price you would need to sign him. #68 is a good solid pick, and picks are convertible to players if the Habs choose to go that route.

But I hope they use it if they have guys they like.

You can always fault a draft pick for being uncertain, but you need to draft and develop players so these are the types of deals that help that to happen.

If you really like Beaulieu you can argue this move, but most on the board didn't like him much and on top of that the Habs needed to pony up a raise for him. Personally I think Beaulieu will do fine in the nhl but I understand that the Habs would rather spend money elsewhere so I'm fine with this move. Unless you are ready to pay the big bucks you have to walk away and that's what the Habs did and picked up a nice #68 pick.

#68 pick since 2000

2000 - Joel Lundqvist (C) 134 gms
2001 - Grant McNeill (D) 3 NHL gms
2002 - Brett Skinner (D) 11 NHL gms
2003 - Jean-François Jacques (LW/C) 166 NHL gms
2004 - Adam Berti (LW/D) 2 NHL gms
2005 - Evan Brophey (C/LW) 4 NHL gms
2006 - Eric Gryba (D) 258 NHL gms
2007 - Jake Hansen (RW)
2008 - Shawn Lalonde (D) 1 NHL gm
2009 - Jamie Devane (LW) 2 NHL gms
2010 - Jérôme Leduc (D)
2011 - Nick Cousins (C/LW) 107 NHL gms
2012 - John Draeger (D)
2013 - Niklas Hansson (D)
2014 - Rinat Valiyev (D) 10 NHL gms
2015-2016 too early to tell

So it produced 2 NHLer in 14 years spam, and a lot that played a sniff in the NHL.

So 15% chance to produce a NHLer and 78% that he plays at least a game in the NHL.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Can't wait for next year's discussion points.

"Beaulieu developed into a top 4 D under Housley. That never would have happened with us. We don't have a Housley. Good trade still."

"Galchenyuk develops into top centre under Doug Weight. We don't have a Doug Weight. Still a good trade."

"The team is fine how it is. Maybe some new coaches but I trust Julien."

and you might read Buffalo is near last place AGAIN next year....and misses the playoff for another 2- 3 years after...

Let's say they bridge Nate B 1 year on his contract....he goes gets 30-35 pts on a team that won't make the playoffs
....You ready to give him 4-5 million long term? ;) Good luck with that...

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
The off ice stuff must be worse that we know. It's the only reason a team would give away a young talented defenseman for almost nothing.

28 points with limited PP time... not bad for a 23 year old. There has to be something more to it, much more.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
#68 pick since 2000

2000 - Joel Lundqvist (C) 134 gms
2001 - Grant McNeill (D) 3 NHL gms
2002 - Brett Skinner (D) 11 NHL gms
2003 - Jean-François Jacques (LW/C) 166 NHL gms
2004 - Adam Berti (LW/D) 2 NHL gms
2005 - Evan Brophey (C/LW) 4 NHL gms
2006 - Eric Gryba (D) 258 NHL gms
2007 - Jake Hansen (RW)
2008 - Shawn Lalonde (D) 1 NHL gm
2009 - Jamie Devane (LW) 2 NHL gms
2010 - Jérôme Leduc (D)
2011 - Nick Cousins (C/LW) 107 NHL gms
2012 - John Draeger (D)
2013 - Niklas Hansson (D)
2014 - Rinat Valiyev (D) 10 NHL gms
2015-2016 too early to tell

So it produced 2 NHLer in 14 years spam, and a lot that played a sniff in the NHL.

Well I'm not concerned about who was picked exactly at that spot (#68). I'm not superstitious about the number. But in that range there will be quality prospects available. But looking at that list you can see that pick has about a 25% of producing an NHL player of 100 + games.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The off ice stuff must be worse that we know. It's the only reason a team would give away a young talented defenseman for almost nothing.

28 points with limited PP time... not bad for a 23 year old. There has to be something more to it, much more.

I don't think so, really. Kid was really partying hard all the time. It's just a matter of him realizing he had to change his life a bit. And from his comments made yesterday, I don't think he sees it that way.

I don't think it's THAT bad. He's just a headcase who needs to take account for his actions. It's always been that way with him. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, TBH. Jacques Beaulieu wasn't exactly seen as a sweet angel when he coached in the Q.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
So, the question isn't whether or not Beaulieu's worth a third or not, it's, why was Benn protected and not Beaulieu ...

As soon as we knew Beau was traded for a third, we all knew it was because he wasn,t going to be protected and thus would've gone to LV for nothing in return. Now, they get a third round pick instead, not bad IMO.

The discussion would be why choose Benn over Beaulieu. I guess his off ice anthics are worse than we think.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Code:

They were gonna lose him for nothing. They got a third instead. Clever move by MB.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
So, the question isn't whether or not Beaulieu's worth a third or not, it's, why was Benn protected and not Beaulieu ...

As soon as we knew Beau was traded for a third, we all knew it was because he wasn,t going to be protected and thus would've gone to LV for nothing in return. Now, they get a third round pick instead, not bad IMO.

The discussion would be why choose Benn over Beaulieu. I guess his off ice anthics are worse than we think.

rather have Benn than Beaulieu IMO.

if Las Vegas picks Emelin it's 100% sure that we are trading for a top 4 D. Beaulieu was probably asking for 3 million a year or maybe more, he's not worth the money.

he's terrible defensively too

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I don't care what the 3rd rounder is traded for... it's a dumb trade.

Yeah, lose him or Benn for nothing is a much better move. You guys just don't get it ... Explansion draft year is chaotic but when you consider that it was either protecting Benn or Beaulieu and risk losing one of them, and you choose to get a third instead, making the loss a little bit more reasonnable. All teams risk losing good, young players who are paid peanuts, when teams can only protect 1G, 3 Ds and 7 Fs.

On a side note, the debate should be why Benn and not Beaulieu. To me, young kids that are party animals can get back on the right track eventually. Beaulieu hoozes talent and it sucks to see him go but Benn has his head at the right place.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Off ice issues ?

One of the things I thought was a positive about MB's hiring is he came from Chicago, home of bad boy Patrick Kane. I had seen enough of our dainty team trading top players away with some rough edges and figured MB would be much more tolerant since obviously the Hawks had not run Kane out of town.

Not so much ?

If Patrick Kane had been a Hab he would have been long gone from this team. Bank it.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Off ice issues ?

One of the things I thought was a positive about MB's hiring is he came from Chicago, home of bad boy Patrick Kane. I had seen enough of our dainty team trading top players away with some rough edges and figured MB would be much more tolerant since obviously the Hawks had not run Kane out of town.

Not so much ?

If Patrick Kane had been a Hab he would have been long gone from this team. Bank it.

is Beaulieu a talent like Kane?

Btw Boston did the same with Seguin.

Flyers did the same thing with Richards/Carter.

Beaulieu is not an established player, yet, if he's a problem to the team, has to go. Most reports says him and Galchenyuk we're always partying together, so you get rid of the lesser talent and try to work with Chucky to improve things and his commitment to the game

E82

Feb 3, 2015
It's not just the veteran players. There is a clear issue with the organization starting from the top. You can't just be trading first rounders like its candy. Something is clearly wrong with this team. Failed development is hurting us a lot.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Were you guys ever babysat when you were 24 years-old?

The difference between generations. The older generations were raised if you want something you have to go get it yourself. Millennials think it should be given to them and if not you must help them get it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
At some point, the Habs need to figure out how to handle players like this. They can't just continue moving them and hoping for a team full of saints.

I'm sure there are a ton of players in the nhl who are both successful on-ice and party hard off the ice. It just seems like this is a repeated problem for the Canadiens. At one point, they're going to have to solve it instead of hoping to find 23 choirboys.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
The difference between generations. The older generations were raised if you want something you have to go get it yourself. Millennials think it should be given to them and if not you must help them get it.

BEtween Pierre mcguire and other boneheads youd think we traded away Bobby Orr

but up until this spring.. the habs were'terrible'' on defence and had no top pairing guys.

everyone says basically spurts out their own opinions when they feel liek yapping.

Beaulieu has tons of potential.. i believe he will be worth more then a 3rd rounder next year playin int he no pressure zone of Buff.

We could easily find someone better then beaulieu via trade or FA

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At some point, the Habs need to figure out how to handle players like this. They can't just continue moving them and hoping for a team full of saints.

I'm sure there are a ton of players in the nhl who are both successful on-ice and party hard off the ice. It just seems like this is a repeated problem for the Canadiens. At one point, they're going to have to solve it instead of hoping to find 23 choirboys.

Trust me on this, it's not just the off-the-ice stuff...

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The Habs did a good job developing Beaulieu. He will be an NHL dman and have a decent career.

I don't think his off-ice issues were the determining factor. This is a cap move. Beaulieu needs a raise and the Habs don't want to commit to him long term. Benn is cheaper, and maybe better too?

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Trust me on this, it's not just the off-the-ice stuff...
The funny thing is people are complaining that the veterans don't talk to the young players. I can't believe fans actually think they have not talked to them. I am pretty sure plenty of the Hab players have told Beaulieu and Galchenyuk to wake up and focus on team over partying and when they fail to listen it's hit the road time. I would prefer keeping Galchenyuk maybe seeing Beaulieu being traded will change him. He also had to deal with injury issue and that time off may had increased his fun time with Beaulieu. Now he can focus on hockey and maybe another youngster like Drouin who seems dedicated to hockey can help guide him by showing how it's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad