Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
i think its a fair trade. Beaulieu is highly overrated by us, he doesn't have that hockey sense to be a top 4. He's not consistent. Sometimes he makes a play and we wonder if he's going to be a top offensive defenseman then he makes stupid plays in his zone.

This guy reminds me of Dimitri Kulikov. So much potential but cannot put it together.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That is the only thing I am hoping for, however if LV does not take Emelin or Pleks then this trade is a bust, if the do take one of those two and we threw something else at them like our wash 2nd from this year, it is even worse.

That's just it -- unless there's another part of the machine we're not seeing at the moment, it makes no sense. Right now it doesn't even count as a "Trade"; more like a liquidation sale. But I'm staying optimistic; I'm still looking at this as the visible tip of a deeper iceberg. Feel free to make your own Titanic jokes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
i think its a fair trade. Beaulieu is highly overrated by us, he doesn't have that hockey sense to be a top 4. He's not consistent. Sometimes he makes a play and we wonder if he's going to be a top offensive defenseman then he makes stupid plays in his zone.

This guy reminds me of Dimitri Kulikov. So much potential but cannot put it together.

I get it that Beaulieu might be worth less than a #17 overall in a re-do. But there is a far cry in value from #17 to #68. Statistically, 28% of 3rd round picks (median #76) make it to the NHL, and half of them play less than 60 games. The chances of the pick we got in this deal turning out to be better than the less-than-perfect player we moved are less than 15%.

That's not good asset management. Even MORE SO when you are not in re-building mode hoping for a home run down the road.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
While this trade in and of itself isn't that big a deal, it is still frustrating as a fan. Beaulieu hasn't progressed as quickly as most of us wished but he still has top 4 potential and he has improved his play in the last couple of years although consistency is an issue. The Habs shouldn't be protecting an older, bottom pairing D (Benn) over Beaulieu.

It does highlight the poor record of the team's drafting and player development over the last decade... the lack of quality prospects is very worrisome.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I never thought Beaulieu was as bad on the ice as he was portrayed. Sure, he didn't meet expectations at all, but he was a very good bottom pairing guy and top 4 replacement and I'd rather just keep the in house players in this role instead of wasting assets to get external players to fill it.

The return is decent. Not gonna complain about that. It just sucks Beaulieu wasn't able to get close to his perceived potential.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Maybe Beau's money is part of what's needed to sign Radulov?

If we get stuck with Pleks & Emelin, I'd rather have Radulov than Beaulieu. We're already low on funds.

I get that but I just don't see what the big hurry was to trade Beaulieu for such low value right now. They likely still could've got a 3rd round pick back for Beaulieu after the ED if Beaulieu wasn't selected by LV.

If selected by LV the Habs would've lost Beaulieu and his future contract which the Habs seemed be being moving on from anyway. Now they'll lose another player in the ED since Beaulieu isn't an option anymore.

Getting only a 3rd for Beaulieu seems like very low value to me and they practically gave the guy away anyway.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
More speculation here...

I think there is too much speculation, and I think most of us including me have been a bit amateurish about it. When I took a step back and looked with perspective, I saw a clearer picture.

In the end, you will only lose one player, no more and no less, to LV - and when you lose that player, you GAIN his cap hit at the same time.

Being able to protect 8 or 10 skaters, it should not be hard to protect those players who produce at significantly more than their cap hit would call for. Once you have done that, if you do happen to lose one useful player whose cap hit is NOTa bargain, then you have the money to replace him quite adequately.

It's not a major deal unless you over-think it.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I am not going to miss beaulieu, but who is going to be there starting 7 D for enxt season, its not looking too good right now, i understand its early and bargain bin might do more trades or signings.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
While this trade in and of itself isn't that big a deal, it is still frustrating as a fan. Beaulieu hasn't progressed as quickly as most of us wished but he still has top 4 potential and he has improved his play in the last couple of years although consistency is an issue. The Habs shouldn't be protecting an older, bottom pairing D (Benn) over Beaulieu.

It does highlight the poor record of the team's drafting and player development over the last decade... the lack of quality prospects is very worrisome.

Yeah, the bigger picture is pretty depressing when you look at the fates of our recent #1 picks. It's becoming a Star Trek meme: Any kid with a red jersey is doomed.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think there is too much speculation, and I think most of us including me have been a bit amateurish about it. When I took a step back and looked with perspective, I saw a clearer picture.

In the end, you will only lose one player, no more and no less, to LV - and when you lose that player, you GAIN his cap hit at the same time.

Being able to protect 8 or 10 skaters, it should not be hard to protect those players who produce at significantly more than their cap hit would call for. Once you have done that, if you do happen to lose one useful player whose cap hit is NOTa bargain, then you have the money to replace him quite adequately.

It's not a major deal unless you over-think it.

As usual, your thinking is logical. But that last part just ain't happening.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I also thought we could get more than that, especially in such a weak draft. I'm a draft junkie, and always want more picks each year, but never thought we'd get one this low for Nate...

But, guy has all the athleticism in the world, yet has a rock in place of a brain. AND seemingly was a major distraction out of the ice...

I love cocky players, when they have something to show for it. Nate the Gr8 only showed it half the time, the other half, he just looked like an idiot.

Not sorry he's gone.

But damn, another 1st round flop for us. How many will it take ? We're living on 2005 and 2007 alone.

Is 2012 the next one to flop ? :help:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd be happy to give up Beau for nothing if that means Vegas won't take Davidson or Hudon. Now we'll lose Beau and another player for a 3rd. Just don't like the timing of the deal. Don't care that he's only worth a 3rd. Bergevin can't create a market for a player but the timing sucks as for as I can see.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I also thought we could get more than that, especially in such a weak draft. I'm a draft junkie, and always want more picks each year, but never thought we'd get one this low for Nate...

But, guy has all the athleticism in the world, yet has a rock in place of a brain. AND seemingly was a major distraction out of the ice...

I love cocky players, when they have something to show for it. Nate the Gr8 only showed it half the time, the other half, he just looked like an idiot.

Not sorry he's gone.

But damn, another 1st round flop for us. How many will it take ? We're living on 2005 and 2007 alone.

Is 2012 the next one to flop ? :help:

Well this low...it depends. If we would have heard 2nd round....we would have been fine. But if it's 62.....it's 2nd round. We are picking 68.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
What frustrates me the most, is MB trades for Drouin and it makes sense. Now, I wouldn't trade for Drouin myself, but I get the reason behind it. And what he's trying to do to improve the team.

Then, he goes and moves Beaulieu. A guy that looked great on the ice. He lacked consistency, but he's only 24. lots of nhl dman don't see the ice until they're 24-25. He offers a skill set we don't have, puts up a solid number of points 5-5, and with some pp time might be a 40 pt dman.

A guess Weber didn't bring the leadership MB claimed he would bring?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It's minor when he's a bottom pairing defenceman. The issue is the scouting team and the AHL coach for that matter.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's minor when he's a bottom pairing defenceman. The issue is the scouting team and the AHL coach for that matter.

But it's systematic. People are pissed that nothing is being done and we are getting no value out of first round picks.

Yet nothing is being done about it. I think it's a development issue but if they fired Timmins I wouldn't give a **** because at least it's SOMETHING to address an issue that's becoming a glaring problem since 2007

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But it's systematic. People are pissed that nothing is being done and we are getting no value out of first round picks.

Yet nothing is being done about it. I think it's a development issue but if they fired Timmins I wouldn't give a **** because at least it's SOMETHING to address an issue that's becoming a glaring problem since 2007

Agreed. No accountability. That starts with ownership. Imagine these results with Ed Snyder or Terry Pegula at the top.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I get it that Beaulieu might be worth less than a #17 overall in a re-do. But there is a far cry in value from #17 to #68. Statistically, 28% of 3rd round picks (median #76) make it to the NHL, and half of them play less than 60 games. The chances of the pick we got in this deal turning out to be better than the less-than-perfect player we moved are less than 15%.

That's not good asset management. Even MORE SO when you are not in re-building mode hoping for a home run down the road.

Bad asset management would have been to lose him on expansion draft.

Benn was more valuable to us since he got here. Beaulieu was done here. We have 5 draft picks on the first 3 rounds, that's good. We will be able to use them on another player or move up in the draft or draft players.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am concerned at the current D depth and the amount of cap space left to sign Galchenyuk, Radulov and acquire a top 4 D. Not more depth on D

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Firing Timmins would not change anything. You need to fire Churla too. Timmins is vice president. I'm not even sure he has the power to fire Churla. Probably only MB has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad