Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Maybe I'm tripping but I would've rather traded Beaulieu for Bogosian

I think this management is so high on Benn that they absolutely wanted to protect him. Like Minnesota could have offered us Dumba for a 2nd and MB would have said no cause he would not have been able to protect Benn.

I'm just half joking here. I really do believe MB is very high on Benn and sees him as a top 4 on a cup contending team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think this management is so high on Benn that they absolutely wanted to protect him. Like Minnesota could have offered us Dumba for a 2nd and MB would have said no cause he would not have been able to protect Benn.

I'm just half joking here. I really do believe MB is very high on Benn and sees him as a top 4 on a cup contending team.

Too bad Benn will end up being what he is. A rotational bottom pairing D.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

we saw benn at his best. that's the problem, and he'll come crashing down to earth like gorges did. he hit his ceiling.

I don't see any tools in his game where there's room for growth. If he gets 'off' at all, during any point in a game, he's going to have a bad game because he's skill is limited.

MB sees himself in Benn. it's ****ing sad.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Bad asset management would have been to lose him on expansion draft.

Benn was more valuable to us since he got here. Beaulieu was done here. We have 5 draft picks on the first 3 rounds, that's good. We will be able to use them on another player or move up in the draft or draft players.

And that right there is how I'd define bad asset management. Benn is 30 years old... he is what he is at this point in his career - a bottom pairing D. Beaulieu will in all likelihood be a better asset within 1-2 years.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I get it that Beaulieu might be worth less than a #17 overall in a re-do. But there is a far cry in value from #17 to #68. Statistically, 28% of 3rd round picks (median #76) make it to the NHL, and half of them play less than 60 games. The chances of the pick we got in this deal turning out to be better than the less-than-perfect player we moved are less than 15%.

That's not good asset management. Even MORE SO when you are not in re-building mode hoping for a home run down the road.

Bad asset management would have been to lose him on expansion draft.

Benn was more valuable to us since he got here. Beaulieu was done here. We have 5 draft picks on the first 3 rounds, that's good. We will be able to use them on another player or move up in the draft or draft players.

You didn't absorb a single thing I said then.

It doesn't matter whether we have X number of picks in the first three rounds. It doesn't matter how high the pile is. What matters here is ONLY whether the chances of the #68 pick turning out better than Beaulieu are good or not. And they are not just "not good", they are actually horrible odds.

Secondly, it is NOT bad asset management to lose a player for nothing in an expansion draft. It is in fact REQUIRED and INEVITABLE. The GM's only choice is to try to make sure that the player he loses is not a cap bargain. Any non-bargain he loses can be made up for with the money saved.

If you do not believe that Beaulieu was worth more than his projected cap, you should be good with leaving him unprotected and be zen if he is chosen. If you believe he IS worth more than his projected cap, then you should protect him. Either way, there is no reason to give him away for a slim-chance draft pick.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Yeah, the bigger picture is pretty depressing when you look at the fates of our recent #1 picks. It's becoming a Star Trek meme: Any kid with a red jersey is doomed.

Damn. You know it's bad when even Lshap is starting to get worried. :laugh:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Nice to add an extra high pick in this draft - #68. Hopefully the Habs will benefit from the top 100 picks they have this year.

I think Beaulieu is a good dman but he's gonna be expensive to sign and I think he didn't have much competition on the left side. I like the look of Benn and his contract is nice too.

Well done by management to get a fair pick for Beaulieu and move on.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Nice to add an extra high pick in this draft - #68. Hopefully the Habs will benefit from the top 100 picks they have this year.

I think Beaulieu is a good dman but he's gonna be expensive to sign and I think he didn't have much competition on the left side. I like the look of Benn and his contract is nice too.

Well done by management to get a fair pick for Beaulieu and move on.

Only problem is that it is NOT a fair pick.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
This worries me, more and more.....

You trade Beaulieu because you know there is a high probability losing him for nothing in the draft....

This would imply that Vegas has no intention grabbing Plekanec or Emelin...

That leaves Hudon...:shakehead

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
And that right there is how I'd define bad asset management. Benn is 30 years old... he is what he is at this point in his career - a bottom pairing D. Beaulieu will in all likelihood be a better asset within 1-2 years.

Beaulieu will want to get paid more than Benn and is a worse player. That's the salary cap. We need a top 4 D and a center.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I was also surprised that we got so little for him, but I guess the market is a lot tougher.

It'll be interesting to see whether he does excel in Buffalo. I always liked him with the Habs, but I get that his consistency was an issue.

I also really liked Benn, but the sample size wasn't that high. I am quite concerned with our D now, but I also have a feeling that we will be very active. Unfortunately that puts Chucky in the crosshairs, which will result in a horrible, horrible move. Praying that Jerabek is a Lekhonen-like surprise.

Jul 6, 2016

If he change his life style and learn the game.

Jul 6, 2016

I think we should not make a direct link between Benn and Beaulieu.

Habs wanted to get rid of Beaulieu at any cost. Wathever his so called "potential" down the road.

They chose between Emelin and his huge contract and Benn with his very affordable one.

And guess what ? Emelin won't be picked up by LV and will play in Montreal next Fall... Or be taken in a trade.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Beaulieu will want to get paid more than Benn and is a worse player. That's the salary cap. We need a top 4 D and a center.

Benn is not and will never be a top 4 D while Beaulieu has a shot as soon as next year... and he's 5 years younger.

Benn is underpaid.

He might be slightly underpaid but he's the kind of player who you can easily replace with another cheap contract.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

You trade Beaulieu because you know there is a high probability losing him for nothing in the draft....

My worry is different. My worry is that MB started with the idea that he must trade Beaulieu and ended with the #68 pick as his best offer since most teams already had three better D than him so they could not protect him.

The reasons for the low value are:
1. bad timing
2. bad publicity on Beaulieu coming from the team itself

The scary thing is that the GM engaged in value-diminishing talk with respect to Galchenyuk too.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

This is why it's stupid to make a bad trade just because of the expansion draft. You still end up losing a player. So now we will simply end up losing a different player for nothing on top of losing Beaulieu for very little.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Benn is not and will never be a top 4 D while Beaulieu has a shot as soon as next year... and he's 5 years younger.

He might be slightly underpaid but he's the kind of player who you can easily replace with another cheap contract.

Never said that.

Beaulieu HAD a shot and lost it.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Never said that.

Beaulieu HAD a shot and lost it.

I guess we'll agree to disagree but Beaulieu's window to be a top 4 is not closed yet as far as I'm concerned and given the poor shape of our D, I would have preferred to keep the more talented player who also happens to be much younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad