Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I guess we'll agree to disagree but Beaulieu's window to be a top 4 is not closed yet as far as I'm concerned and given the poor shape of our D, I would have preferred to keep the more talented player who also happens to be much younger.

I don't understand the move. Even if they were going to lose Beaulieu....it would have indirectly protected Hudon. Is Hudon worth a 3rd?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I don't understand the move. Even if they were going to lose Beaulieu....it would have indirectly protected Hudon. Is Hudon worth a 3rd?

If LV pick Hudon, it would certainly compound Bergevin's mistake - losing Beaulieu and Hudon for very little return.

Jul 6, 2016
If LV pick Hudon, it would certainly compound Bergevin's mistake - losing Beaulieu and Hudon for very little return.

It would just mean that they wanted to get rid of both, whatever the return (or lack of...).

They had no more confidence that Beaulieu would do better, on and off the ice. And I never felt they had any confidence that Hudon would become nothing more than an AHL star player.

I would not call that "mistakes".

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
It would just mean that they wanted to get rid of both, whatever the return (or lack of...).

They had no more confidence that Beaulieu would do better, on and off the ice. And I never felt they had any confidence that Hudon would become nothing more than an AHL star player.

if not a mistake then bad asset management

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

No, I suppose you wouldn't. The fact is that Hudon has never been given a reasonable opportunity to ply his trade in Montreal. If he were to fail, then at least there's a tangible reason to move on from him.

It is definitely a failure in asset management.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I liked Beaulieu but he never put it all together. He's going to want a contract now - I've read that his price is 4 million. Maybe that price comes down a bit but if the Canadiens don't believe he's a top 4 and other teams do I think it's the right time to walk away - looking forward to pick #68!!

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
What a terrible trade. What left handed young D do we have in the organization? Leave it to Bergevin to come back to reality after one good trade.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Its more than just the value, its just another in failings of draft and development. If Galchenyuk is traded, the whole amateur scouting and AHL coaches, all coaches outside of Julien need to be canned.

As a one off, i wasnt fond if Nate. Put him in the big picture of failure after failure and the fact the team has not even a handful of players drafted and developed on this roster in 5+ yr and future looking even worse, something has to give

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Damn. You know it's bad when even Lshap is starting to get worried. :laugh:

Hey now! It was just an excuse to toss in a Star Trek reference. I actually think next season's roster will be good, as long as we don't face the Klingons in round-1.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
What a terrible trade. What left handed young D do we have in the organization? Leave it to Bergevin to come back to reality after one good trade.

Oh just wait for the Galchenyuk trade. I'm assuming that Leddy + Beauvillier rumour is true. Leddy I'm fine with, but who the F is our center now/Galchenyuk should be that C.

Sometimes I wish they'd just screw the code and tell us what idiotic dbags MT/MB were/are. I think MB still thinks that everyone else in the league and Habs fans think he's doing a good job and is well respected. You trade with him, you know you're at worst gonna come out even.

True that we should have kept him to shield Hudon, unless MB has prior knowledge that LV was gonna pick Hudon regardless, in which case he's gonna have to give them picks to avoid that situation. I wonder if that Buffalo 3rd is enough. Probably not.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Its more than just the value, its just another in failings of draft and development. If Galchenyuk is traded, the whole amateur scouting and AHL coaches, all coaches outside of Julien need to be canned.

As a one off, i wasnt fond if Nate. Put him in the big picture of failure after failure and the fact the team has not even a handful of players drafted and developed on this roster in 5+ yr and future looking even worse, something has to give

Beaulieu was a good pick - he will be an NHL defenseman. His development was fine. I agree that LeBlanc and Tinordi didn't work out and the 2008 - 2012 drafts were subpar but the system was totally revamped in 2013 by Bergevin so the Habs can't very well revamp it a 2nd time based on the same failures.

Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and Gallagher were the best picks from those years.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The most positive trade in this summer. Because Beaulieu is a distraction for this club, party man and he is a freaking douchbag. Amazing trade by Montreal Canadiens... hockey it's not all about talent and he suck anyway.

Benn over Beaulieu, anyday of my life.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Beaulieu was a good pick - he will be an NHL defenseman. His development was fine. I agree that LeBlanc and Tinordi didn't work out and the 2008 - 2012 drafts were subpar but the system was totally revamped in 2013 by Bergevin so the Habs can't very well revamp it a 2nd time based on the same failures.

Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and Gallagher were the best picks from those years.

So lets keep failing. Awesome

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh just wait for the Galchenyuk trade. I'm assuming that Leddy + Beauvillier rumour is true. Leddy I'm fine with, but who the F is our center now/Galchenyuk should be that C.

Sometimes I wish they'd just screw the code and tell us what idiotic dbags MT/MB were/are. I think MB still thinks that everyone else in the league and Habs fans think he's doing a good job and is well respected. You trade with him, you know you're at worst gonna come out even.

True that we should have kept him to shield Hudon, unless MB has prior knowledge that LV was gonna pick Hudon regardless, in which case he's gonna have to give them picks to avoid that situation. I wonder if that Buffalo 3rd is enough. Probably not.

Bergevin actually came out on the winning end of many trades, although most of them were for bottom sixers. He loses the Weber trade and in the short term almost certainly wins the Drouin trade. If he trades Galchenyuk and fails to obtain a serious #1 center, it's a total failure in my mind.

The fact that Bergevin may feel that he needs to land a #2 LD to support Weber makes that trade look even worse. We have an older and continually aging D corps with no certainties, and Markov will likely last only for 2 more seasons at the maximum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad