Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Galchenyuk to Arizona, Domi to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
At first it's a win for Coyotes but Galchenyuk is UFA in 2 years and Domi is RFA in 2 years and can be re-sign for 5-6 years after.

Short term win = Coyotes, Long term = Canadiens.

Galchenyuk holds more value because of his position at center, whereas, Domi is a left winger.

Reactions: Lilou

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Galchenyuk holds more value because of his position at center, whereas, Domi is a left winger.

Galchenyuk is a winger in the eyes of Canadiens management. So it's a trade of wingers. Galchenyuk is a PP shooting and good stickhandler but lack vision and hockey IQ and Domi is a speedy playmaker with a bit of an edge but lack shooting skills and he's small a little bit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The biggest difference is goal scoring ability and offensive talent. Galchenyuk's ceiling is much higher than Domi's. Domi is close to this ceiling while Galchenyuk has had chains strapped around him in Montreal and has not been given the opportunity most prospects get with his skills.

I like Domi but he is another forward who will pass the puck in shooting opportunities cause he will either shoot the puck into the goalies chest due to lack of confidence in his shot. The only area Domi is better is skating and compete level.

Habs should of got a 2nd round pick on top of Domi. We got robbed in this trade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At first it's a win for Coyotes but Galchenyuk is UFA in 2 years and Domi is RFA in 2 years and can be re-sign for 5-6 years after.

Production wise, they are near the same .60 PPG.
Who wins when the Yotes re-sign Chucky in two years?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Ok, this is like the textbook example for how NOT to evaluate a trade. You dont "win" a trade because you get player whos a RFA for longer. You also dont win a trade because a player will cost less. Domi has socred 9 goals in each of the last 2 seasons, only 5 non empty net goals to boot. Ofcourse hes going to sign for less, worse players dont get paid as much.

This is a win for Coyotes in the short term, and if the players continue as is, also in the long term. This trade will be even worse if/when the coyotes put him at center and he succeeds

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Ok, this is like the textbook example for how NOT to evaluate a trade. You dont "win" a trade because you get player whos a RFA for longer. You also dont win a trade because a player will cost less. Domi has socred 9 goals in each of the last 2 seasons, only 5 non empty net goals to boot. Ofcourse hes going to sign for less, worse players dont get paid as much.

This is a win for Coyotes in the short term, and if the players continue as is, also in the long term. This trade will be even worse if/when the coyotes put him at center and he succeeds

I've watched almost all of Galchenyuk's games for the last 6 years and he's not a center. Too bad defensively, but he's a dangerous weapon on the PP and he has the shot to score.

Reactions: Jigger77

Jan 21, 2018
at least in Arizona he will get the chance to flourish as a #1C playing against bums like McDavid/Draisaitl, Kopitar/Carter, Getzlaf/Kesler, Pavelski/Couture,

Drai plays wing for McDavid so Galchenyuk would rarely if ever face that line. Worst case he gets matched up against the Oilers 2nd line which should be a favorable matchup for Galchenyuk.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Are you actually complaining about the quality of posts in this thread when over 75% of your posts aren't liked?

Yes. I also complain about complainers...and I'm a huge complainer. List goes on.

And I'm not complaining about the quality of posts. Just bizarre that two mediicer NHL players get this much attention l.

Last edited:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I've watched almost all of Galchenyuk's games for the last 6 years and he's not a center. Too bad defensively, but he's a dangerous weapon on the PP and he has the shot to score.

I agree, he's not in his natural position at center. He also can't win draws.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If Galchenyuk sticks to centre, Arizona will win this deal for sure. If the Coyotes don't let him play through defensive errors it will look like a wash.

Chuck needs someone who just lets him play his game. Therrien and Julien thought they knew better. They rarely do.

I don't see an outcome aside from Chuck being injured where Montreal comes out looking better.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I agree. My biggest issue isn't so much the talent gap between the two it's that Domi doesn't really fill a need.
u traded a Center (where you have Danault JDLR and Froese) for a Left Wing (where you have Pacioretty Hudon Drouin Byron Lehkonen Carr and Deslauriers, and now Domi)

nice going bergeboi

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If Galchenyuk sticks to centre, Arizona will win this deal for sure. If the Coyotes don't let him play through defensive errors it will look like a wash.

Chuck needs someone who just lets him play his game. Therrien and Julien thought they knew better. They rarely do.

I don't see an outcome aside from Chuck being injured where Montreal comes out looking better.
This
Galchenyuk has never been given the opportunity to learn by playing through his mistakes. In Montreal, once he made the tiniest of errors he was back on wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad