Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Galchenyuk to Arizona, Domi to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I've never seen an organization trade away their young talent like Montreal. Actually it reminds me of the Leafs in the early 2000's, and we all know how that turned out. I wonder how long it will take Bergevin to ship Zadina out of town?
With our luck the idiot won't even draft him.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Can’t wait for all the Habs fans to bash Galchenyuk now after years of defending him and calling him great.
Sorry but most of us are not liking this deal and still think highly of Chucky. But if you check the thread all the Non-Hab fans who have always bashed Chucky are all now in here defending him. Strange eh. I guess you were to lazy to read through the thread. You should get yourself informed before making yourself look like a troll.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Oh really?

Max Domi TOI 2017-2081: 16:42

Alex Galchenyuk's TOI: 16:14

I think you need to learn to be a bit more objective. I'm not a fan of the trade but you're looking pretty stupid with your comments.

Who are these top talent players you speak of on the coyotes, by far the worst franchise in the league?

I'll be waiting.
Im not defending what the other guy said, about playing 4th line minutes with scrubs etc. But I would like to point this out.

Alex Galchenyuk posted 19 goals and 32 assists for 51 points this year and according to DobberHockey, played 31.2% of his even strength ice time with Jacob De La Rose(4+8=12) and Artturi Lehkonen(12+9=21) but he also spent another 16.2% with Andrew Shaw(10+10=20) and Phillip Danault(8+17=25) and averaging 2:56 on the powerplay.

Max Domi posted 9 goals and 36 assists for 45 points while playing 32.2% of his even strength time with Clayton Keller(23+42=65) and Derek Stepan(14+42=56) and averaging 2:36 PP TOI.

I would also like to say that Galchenyuk is a shooter going to a team and possibly a line that has 2 decent-to-good playmakers in Stepan and Keller. Domi is a pass first guy and if Pacioretty is actually traded than his best options are another pass first guy in Jonathan Drouin and a defenseman in Shea Weber.

I like both Galchenyuk and Domi, but I believe Arizona won this deal. For once they are taking on more cap than their partner in a trade and I believe it is a strong bet that Galchenyuk will improve his numbers based off of personnel and off that same basis I believe Domi will have trouble improving statistically.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Peanut

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Im not defending what the other guy said, about playing 4th line minutes with scrubs etc. But I would like to point this out.

Alex Galchenyuk posted 19 goals and 32 assists for 51 points this year and according to DobberHockey, played 31.2% of his even strength ice time with Jacob De La Rose(4+8=12) and Artturi Lehkonen(12+9=21) but he also spent another 16.2% with Andrew Shaw(10+10=20) and Phillip Danault(8+17=25) and averaging 2:56 on the powerplay.

Max Domi posted 9 goals and 36 assists for 45 points while playing 32.2% of his even strength time with Clayton Keller(23+42=65) and Derek Stepan(14+42=56) and averaging 2:36 PP TOI.

I would also like to say that Galchenyuk is a shooter going to a team and possibly a line that has 2 decent-to-good playmakers in Stepan and Keller. Domi is a pass first guy and if Pacioretty is actually traded than his best options are another pass first guy in Jonathan Drouin and a defenseman in Shea Weber.

I like both Galchenyuk and Domi, but I believe Arizona won this deal. For once they are taking on more cap than their partner in a trade and I believe it is a strong bet that Galchenyuk will improve his numbers based off of personnel and off that same basis I believe Domi will have trouble improving statistically.

You can say Arizona won this deal and I'd agree with you. But some habs fans are being idiots with their hyperbole.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Going to be weird seeing Domi in the back of a habs jersey.

Galchenyuk was worth more I would of thought but Domi also is a better player than he showed in Arizona for the most part I feel

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Domi is a pass first guy and if Pacioretty is actually traded than his best options are another pass first guy in Jonathan Drouin and a defenseman in Shea Weber.

Domi's best option should be Gallagher, a right winger who scored 31 goals and had 23 assists on one of the league's worst offense. Gallagher's direct, shoot first, crash and bang style complements Domi's style quite well in theory. Better than Stepan's or Keller's I'd say. Pacioretty being traded is not a sure thing, and if he is there could be a player of similar value coming back who could have chemistry with Domi. Who knows? When Weber is healthy, he's a phenomenal shooter on the PP. Could help Domi rack up some assists too. I wouldn't be so quick to predict that Domi won't improve his production with the Habs.

As for Galchenyuk, when he's confident he is a very good scorer wherever he is slotted at forward. He shouldn't play the top center role though due to his poor skating, IQ and commitment to a 200 foot game. These deficiencies are masked at wing, especially if he's combined with good skaters. He's a great shooter but he likes to have the puck on his stick. Keller likes to control the puck too so I'm curious to see how they'd perform on the same line. Stepan I think would be a better fit.

Anyway, it will be intersting to see how all this translates on the ice.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
While I think Montreal takes a loss here, I think they were never going to get a satisfactory return for Galchenyuk, and they must suspect that he's going to walk in 2 years. They sold low and bought low, but probably felt that this risk was better than anything else that would be on the table.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
While I think Montreal takes a loss here, I think they were never going to get a satisfactory return for Galchenyuk, and they must suspect that he's going to walk in 2 years. They sold low and bought low, but probably felt that this risk was better than anything else that would be on the table.

I agree. My biggest issue isn't so much the talent gap between the two it's that Domi doesn't really fill a need.

Reactions: LeHab

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Bergevin has sewered that team. Not much else needs to be said. He even tops Burke and Nonis. Makes Milbury look pretty good too.

Reactions: Lilou

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
16 minutes on the fourth line? Very impressive sir I didn't know Julien played his fourth line 16 minutes a game. You're teaching me things! Amongst those things is the fact you have clearly not been watching games.
Keep being literal, it's the only way you can make a stupid counter argument.

Galchenyuk averaged 31.2% of the time on a line with DLR and Lehkonen. As opposed to Domi who played most of his minutes 16.1% of the time with Stepan and Keller.

Keep telling yourself DLR and Lehkonen are of the same caliber as Stepan and Keller. Just make sure you're not telling me that, I have low tolerance for stupidity.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Again... this was the max value of Galchenyuk? This was really the best they could do?
I don't know if it was the best value we could get for Galchenyuk, but given the corner that Bergevin put himself in regarding Chucky's contract and UFA status in two years (and his probable desire to leave Montreal), alleged substance abuse and rehab by Galchenyuk, alongside MB's hard-headedness and frequent bashing of AG in the media, I'm not surprised we got a slightly lesser player in exchange for one of the very few bright spots we had on our team last season.

That said, the trade itself isn't THAT bad and, if Domi finds steadier grounds in Montreal to build his performance on, it could even be a good trade for us in the future. Domi has the potential to be a consistent 5-on-5 threat and perennial 60-point guy. That's a pretty important cog to any team.

Of course, if Galchenyuk is put at center with Arizona (as he should have been in Montreal), allowed to learn from and live through his mistakes in the long term (as should have been the case in his development with the Canadiens) and flourishes as a player as a result, this trade will be an absolute horror as we look back on it. Given the Montreal Canadiens' luck of the last few years, and the history of dumb moves made by our idiot GM, I'm already mentally preparing myself for this outcome.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal

I don’t wanna argue on that dobber % but I’ve watched 95% of the Habs games and I can say he didn’t play with Shaw and really little bit with Danault. He had few games with De La Rose at the end of the year but he played mostly with Drouin and Lehkonen.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Oh, he did it frequently too? Where are all those supposed numerous examples of Bergevin "bashing" Galchenyuk in the media?

You're right, the word ''bashing'' is too strong, and quite honestly misplaced, in the context I was trying to verbously illustrate. A better phrasing would be ''frequent (and sometimes not entirely warranted) emphasis put on Galchenyuk's inefficacies as a player and thus, indirect belittlement of Galchenyuk's ability as a player and his value to the team''.

That's even more long-winded than the simple, crude and ill-conceived word of ''bashing'' but, at that point, brevity can go die in a ditch and **** itself I guess.

As for those examples of emphasis put on Galchenyuk's warts as a player more than any other guy on the Montreal Canadiens, they're actually pretty common those last three years in his press conferences. When talking about players that needed to be better and give more to the team, even though the likes of Gallagher, Petry, Drouin, Price, Patches, Markov and even Subban had dry spells as well in those last few years, and were actively mentioned by the media regarding their at-times less-than-stellar performances, they're very rarely mentioned directly by MB.

Bergevin will say, for example; ''Our veterans need to be better, you can't win if your star players aren't playing well and scoring goals'', that means that Patches needs to be better and stop being a turnover machine and score a few goals instead of standing there being a possession black hole and low-energy player, he's just not getting mentioned. Galchenyuk, on the other hand, got thrown to the wolves more often than any other player for the Canadiens these last three years despite not necessarily playing any worse than them. Our GM's year-end presser in 2016-2017 is a pretty clear indication of this and exemplifies everything I've said.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
For some context about the whole linemates issue, Domi did play a lot with Stepan and Keller but that was almost exclusively in October and November. What were the Coyotes doing between the opener and mid November? Being one of the worst teams of all time. They didn't win a regulation game until November 17th.

Some of that was on Domi's poor performance. But it wasn't just him. Virtually every player on the team, especially the returning ones from Tippett's system, struggled mightily under Tocchet early. It was a radically different approach that flat out didn't work right away. It arguably didn't work ever because when the Coyotes finally started getting some wins Tocchet had adjusted his system to allow more east - west puck movement outside the Ozone. In the early season the team was going for home run passes up ice almost every shift. They'd miss the pass, have to turn around from a full sprint and get back on D and they mostly just fell over each other while the opposition only had to face the two D. There was no puck support AT all. The team never had possession and when they did it was one and done.

Domi was playing the worst hockey of his career in a new system under a new coach and that happened to coincide with when he had higher quality linemates. As a general rule when I'm thinking about what the Coyotes did last season, I'm almost completely throwing out the first two months. That includes almost all the time Domi spent with Stepan and Keller. And Stepan was also playing like garbage then too. The Coyotes board was freaking out the trade was going to be a complete disaster until about January.

The point is, I really wouldn't weight what happend when Domi was with Keller and Stepan all that heavily. I wasn't last week when I thought Domi was going to suit up for the Coyotes again. If it was just Domi this happened to I could see coming down hard on him. But it happened to almost everyone on the team.
And Domi got better when everyone else did. He was playing the best we've seen him since his rookie season, with the addition of his still weakened shooting ability.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
At first it's a win for Coyotes but Galchenyuk is UFA in 2 years and Domi is RFA in 2 years and can be re-sign for 5-6 years after.

Short term win = Coyotes, Long term = Canadiens.

Production wise, they are near the same .60 PPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad