WC: Moscow, St. Petersburg May 5th to May 22nd (Visa info now added to OP)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Thanks for the answers guys, not sure if it makes a difference but I'm on a Tier 5 YMS visa for the UK. I'm here for the next 2 years.

I'll make sure to look into this as soon as possible.

All it is is that some consulates in countries not your own, won't consider your application. Some will, some won't.

Since you legally reside in England You shouldn't have any problem getting one in London.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys, not sure if it makes a difference but I'm on a Tier 5 YMS visa for the UK. I'm here for the next 2 years.

I'll make sure to look into this as soon as possible.

As long as you are legally in the UK you can apply for the russian visa in the UK.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Any folks familiar with Moscow and st. Petersburg have recommendations on things to do outside of hockey? Good places to eat, activities to do, nightlife, can't miss things to see?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Any folks familiar with Moscow and st. Petersburg have recommendations on things to do outside of hockey? Good places to eat, activities to do, nightlife, can't miss things to see?

Moscow is pretty low on sightseeing compared to St Pete. It has the Kremlin and red square which you can tour. But mostly the attraction there is going to be restaurants and clubs and stuff. But it's stupidly expensive. One option for a day is a trip out to Suzdal which I really like. St. Pete has really way too much stuff to even list. Art. Palaces. Churches. Canal cruises. Also consider a day trip to Veliky Novgorod

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
In Piter. (the locals call it Piter) visit the Yusupov Palace. It's where they offed Rasputin. great tour of the whole Rasputin murder.

One of my favorite places to visit in the city.

as for a day excursion, I'd suggest going to Pushkin and visiting the Palace of Catherine the Great and the fountains. Although the fountains may not be turned on for the season yet...

giving restaurant advice is hit or miss...they come and go..and may not be as good as when I lived and worked there, which was almost a decade ago. But my expat buddies and I always hung out at an Irish bar called Mollies. It was good back in the day...haven't been back since '08.

and what Xokkeu says about Moscow, I second that.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Moscow is pretty low on sightseeing compared to St Pete. It has the Kremlin and red square which you can tour. But mostly the attraction there is going to be restaurants and clubs and stuff. But it's stupidly expensive. One option for a day is a trip out to Suzdal which I really like. St. Pete has really way too much stuff to even list. Art. Palaces. Churches. Canal cruises. Also consider a day trip to Veliky Novgorod

Prices aren't that expensive now with Ruble is cut half comparing to what it was 2 years ago.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Prices aren't that expensive now with Ruble is cut half comparing to what it was 2 years ago.

Fair point. I haven't been to Moscow in like 3 years. But remember paying $25 for a cup of soup in some restaurant. Gotta watch out for the faux pomp in some places there. Conversely I've had some of the best Eurasian food in my life in some of the burbs.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
To add about St. Petersburg, Peterhof is a must see place.

Moscow is a huge city, you can find everything there, so it depends on your interests. And yes, I agree that spending some time visiting some of the old cities nearby of Moscow (a.k.a. The Golden Ring) would be a great idea.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

That's a trap most (western) foreigners get in. St.Petersburg is too european, too understandable for westerners. Moscow has a lot more to offer than you think, but it is a true eurasian capital. It has many faces and facettes. You have find them though. It's not all on the outside like in St.Petersburg. There are months of sightseeing and years of culture. Get a good tour guide.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
That's a trap most (western) foreigners get in. St.Petersburg is too european, too understandable for westerners. Moscow has a lot more to offer than you think, but it is a true eurasian capital. It has many faces and facettes. You have find them though. It's not all on the outside like in St.Petersburg. There are months of sightseeing and years of culture. Get a good tour guide.

What's the trap? I said Moscow is low on sightseeing. I didn't say it was boring.

Moscow is like NYC. You see the Empire State Building and statue of liberty in a day. But asking what to do In either is pointless. More like what can't you do.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well, the teams better hope they won't get raided. Plenty of players from Northern Europe use snus, IIRC I've also seen Ovechkin use it.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
All the best wishes of the great tournament to everybody going.....Im to lazy/cheap to go.

ITS TIME FOR THE FREAKING WORLDS BABY!!!!!! God its the favourite time of year.

Time for hard fought hockey, national pride(for the NAs who care and the rest of us), and lots of excitement and a different atmosphere than other tournaments....Oh and time for
Born In America, and "GOOOOAL NUMBER 47!!!!"

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
All the best wishes of the great tournament to everybody going.....Im to lazy/cheap to go.

ITS TIME FOR THE FREAKING WORLDS BABY!!!!!! God its the favourite time of year.

Time for hard fought hockey, national pride(for the NAs who care and the rest of us), and lots of excitement and a different atmosphere than other tournaments....Oh and time for
Born In America, and "GOOOOAL NUMBER 47!!!!"

Oh, you support Komarov? Nice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad