Claimed off Waivers: Montreal claims Antti Niemi

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll echo the thoughts that actually makes sense : This mostly has to do with Montoya being possibly out for a long, long while (because it's a concussion), and also with the need to not play guys like Karel St-Laurent in the AHL.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
This has everything to do with Montoya's concussion.

Price literally spoke to the media and said he'd be playing if it was the playoffs. Lindgren's play is why he's taking extra time to get 100%.

Montreal doesn't want Fucale riding the pine in Montreal rather than getting minutes in Laval.

I'd guess Niemi will be waived when Price returns in a week or so.

He can't be waived again for a specific period of time which I can't remember what it is haha. So, he'll take up a roster spot for that period of time whether he's dressed/playing or not.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He can't be waived again for a month. So, he'll take up a roster spot for that period of time whether he's dressed/playing or not.

Fair point. I'm not sure Montreal's all that bothered though. They have a local farm team, so they can be pretty quick with call-ups. They're also at home for the next month (except for next week and a game against Detroit). Not really an issue for them to send Lindgren up and down when Price is healthy.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
LOL....this year is going to be 2015/2016 all over again,

just replace Condon with Lindgren, and Scrivens with Niemi :laugh:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lol why does this guy keep getting claimed? I'd rather play my AHL backup over him

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Fair point. I'm not sure Montreal's all that bothered though. They have a local farm team, so they can be pretty quick with call-ups. They're also at home for the next month (except for next week and a game against Detroit). Not really an issue for them to send Lindgren up and down when Price is healthy.

I actually don't know what the time frames are because I think Florida claimed him on Oct. 24th and waived him again yesterday, so that was less than a month. Maybe there aren't restrictions on how often someone can be waived, I'm not sure.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No, he really isn't...but developmentally it makes more sense for Fucale to be starting in Laval rather than backing up Price. Same basic reason Pittsburgh took a flyer on him the first time around (replace Fucale with Jarry).

Except in this case,Fucale could probably do a better job of winning a game or keeping his team in it long enough to do so. Niemi is all kinds of bad and I was one of the hopeful ones about the Niemi signing. Not sure why anyone would even bother, but this will be one of many stops this year, Montreal won't be the last one, that's for sure.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He can't be waived again for a specific period of time which I can't remember what it is haha. So, he'll take up a roster spot for that period of time whether he's dressed/playing or not.
Are you sure? He was waived by Florida less than a month before Pittsburgh waived him

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
hahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahaahahahah....---- wait...------ hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha----ok----thats eno------whahhahahahahaahhahahahhahahaha

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Except in this case,Fucale could probably do a better job of winning a game or keeping his team in it long enough to do so. Niemi is all kinds of bad and I was one of the hopeful ones about the Niemi signing. Not sure why anyone would even bother, but this will be one of many stops this year, Montreal won't be the last one, that's for sure.

The odds are Fucale would only be riding the pine. Odds are Niemi doesn't play for Montreal either. He's literally an extra body since Montreal has two injured goalies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Are you sure? He was waived by Florida less than a month before Pittsburgh waived him
I believe the rule for waivers is if he PASSES through then he is free to move up and down for 30 days or 10 games. He was claimed so he wasn't protected from bei g waived again.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Oh I agree, Niemi terrified me from the second the signing was announced. In the Pens case it reached the point where Jarry's development was less important than having a competent back-up so the switch had to happen. Nobody should like the idea of a 22 year-old back-up, but when the alternative is Niemi...

Difference with Montreal and Pittsburgh here is that Price has shown he's capable of the workload and the Habs don't have a billion road back-to-backs lined up in the next month.

For better or worse Niemi's nominal price and experience makes him an easy target for GMs looking for a warm body for a couple weeks...even if he posts a 5+ GAA for a third team this year, I wouldn't be that surprised if he found his way onto a fourth. At some point in time you have to throw the bread out with the mold, but that's at least three teams now that are convinced they can still eat around it...even if the previous two suffered food poisoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad