GDT: GM 3: Good vs Evil @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
TNT guy says Rangers win easily - maybe they’ll be so f***ing bored Sunday they’ll forget to win.

The entire year Carbs has been telling this organization that the nostalgia act is dead. I think BMac knows it, but I think he and Carbs have been trying to convey to Ted that more ruthlessness, and less deference, to the olds is what is needed going forward. So I don’t fully understand what Carbs was doing tonight, unless he’s playing a long game and signaling that this, this is what happens when you keep running the organization as if the olds are 10 years younger than they actually are.

I mean why is Ovie out for almost a full 2 minutes on every PP on a night we go for 0-6. Does Carbs not have the leeway to say 8 has been an anchor the last 3 games (he was clearly trying to say that after the shortie in G2) let’s do something different? I think the answer is no

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
TNT guy says Rangers win easily - maybe they’ll be so f***ing bored Sunday they’ll forget to win.

The entire year Carbs has been telling this organization that the nostalgia act is dead. I think BMac knows it, but I think he and Carbs have been trying to convey to Ted that more ruthlessness, and less deference, to the olds is what is needed going forward. So I don’t fully understand what Carbs was doing tonight, unless he’s playing a long game and signaling that this, this is what happens when you keep running the organization as if the olds are 10 years younger than they actually are.

i think we were all bored and disappointed.

no push back
no real scoring threats
same slow ass useless vets being overplayed
players we needed to sack up, havnt
OV with a foot into the coffin and unable to turn on playoff mode anymore

1714183100289.png

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
OV was given 24 mins including the 6 PP's. That is insane to give an age 38 player that much time on the ice. He was playing on fumes most of the game. At OV's age he shouldn't be playing more than 15 mins a game, TOTAL!

Based on GMBMs draft history I don’t see a big difference in him being able to hit on pick 10 vs 17. It’s all a crapshoot.
This draft is considerably weaker than last years draft.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I mean, they’re losing games that they shouldn’t/wouldn’t have been playing most years. I don’t know why we’re so shocked by the final scores.

I expected more pushback in the physicality department however. Wilson gets an F for his lack of intensity tonight. Didn’t do anything after he challenged Rempe.

Reactions: tycoonheart

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It’s hard to put a lot on coaching when the talent gap is so big.. but PL is putting on a clinic here.
Let us put things in perspective. Laviolette with us for 3 years was sort of an issue(not enough patience for the young players), but Preds fans preached to us McCarthy was the bigger problem. 1st year with Laviolette coaching the Rangers, no McCarthy who retired for good. Laviolette had his love affair with McCarthy severed and he had to adjust his coaching a bit with new assistants he had never associated with before.

I mean, they’re losing games that they shouldn’t/wouldn’t have been playing most years. I don’t know why we’re so shocked by the final scores.

I expected more pushback in the physicality department however. Wilson gets an F for his lack of intensity tonight. Didn’t do anything after he challenged Rempe.
Really? He got suspended for 6 games, so he had to dial back again. He couldn't be Tom Wilson playing a bit on the edge! When Wilson plays on the edge, that is when he's at his best in parts of his game.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I mean, we suck obviously. I think a majority on here even as Caps fans predicted the series would maybe go 5 games (Lindgren stealing one, but even he has been mid this series). The talent gap is huge, although I don’t believe in the Rangers in the long run they’re clearly way better than we are even when out entire d-core isn’t out of the lineup. It is disappointing how passive they’ve been, basically no physicality to speak of. When the Rangers eliminate us they might even forget that they played us before the next round, since they won’t have any aches to remember us by.

A big positive I’m taking away from this is that more and more AA looks the part of a solid NHL defenseman. He’s obviously not perfect, but he’s 24 and this is his first full season and I think he’s progressing well while forced into bigger minutes (21 today). I’m pretty high on his potential.

Credit where credit is due, Johansen at least impressed me with how comfortable he seemed with the puck on his stick.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
we have set up what would be the most crushing of series wins inflicted on one of our most hated rivals ever ... Caps in 7?

the groundwork has been laid :huh:
I saw one of the games in a playoff series where the team that had been down 0-3 came back to win. It was 2009-10, and the Caps had the Canadiens in R1. Since I had a business trip to S. Jersey when the Flyers were to have their first home game in R2 (G3 of the series), I bought a ticket in advance, expecting the Caps to be playing the Flyers in that match-up. As we all know, the Caps lost the MTL series. And it so happened that the Flyers lost the first three games of R2, including the G3 that I saw, to the Bruins. I remember telling Flyers fans, "Don't worry, you still have a chance" on my way out of the arena. And sure enough, they won the next four games. So it can happen.

With this Caps roster and the way these games have been called? Eh, I wouldn't say the same thing today.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
How is he supposed to play? He has an appointment to get his eyebrows plucked again.

Can you blame him lol? I love his enthusiasm for the Caps and intensity for the old game.

I saw one of the games in a playoff series where the team that had been down 0-3 came back to win. It was 2009-10, and the Caps had the Canadiens in R1. Since I had a business trip to S. Jersey when the Flyers were to have their first home game in R2 (G3 of the series), I bought a ticket in advance, expecting the Caps to be playing the Flyers in that match-up. As we all know, the Caps lost the MTL series. And it so happened that the Flyers lost the first three games of R2, including the G3 that I saw, to the Bruins. I remember telling Flyers fans, "Don't worry, you still have a chance" on my way out of the arena. And sure enough, they won the next four games. So it can happen.

With this Caps roster and the way these games have been called? Eh, I wouldn't say the same thing today.

True. Back then they could rely on the speed and skill even though the defense was very lackluster.

Sep 19, 2008
said it before i'll say it again the rangers stole the caps soul and spirit

seeing the game in person caps scored a few minutes in, place was rocking, taunting Igor. A few seconds later the Rangers tie it. They take the lead 2-1 and didn't look back. Caps never really threatened the rest of the way.

Officiating was ass as usual, multiple players were tripped and there were no calls. In fact, a Capital was tripped, everyone in the arena saw it, nobody did shit, then a Ranger got tripped and they called a penalty on the caps! how does that work? The Rangers would score on that PP to put the game away.

That said it was not the only factor. Even worse was being unable to convert on a single power play, when they were gifted multiple opportunities. The offense is dead in the water.

For a team that grinded their way through adversity to make the playoffs, they now find themselves in the ultimate postseason adversity, staring down a 0-3 hole. Yes, it was good for them to be here. Yes, it was good for them to get experience and play extra games. Anyone would take this over missing the playoffs anyday. I'm not saying anything different.

I just thought it'd be more competitive than this.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Rationally, the Rags were always going to win this series.

Rationally, we've seen the old guys fading (although Carly has been hanging in there).

Rationally, Lindgren couldn't steal the series.

Rationally, playing only half of your top 10 D's was going to be an issue.

But.......getting pushed around and pounded by the Rangers is tough to take. Watching OV and Patches and even Oshie (love you Oshbabe) being slow and stumbling and bumbling is hard to take. Watching Oshie and Van Riemsdyk getting hit high with no justice is hard to take. Dowd seems off, Wilson seems off. Who the heck knows about Kuemper?

So, it's on to 24-25. How great is the fact that we get to jettison 67 but he will still count against the cap? Hope the kids get better, the olds don't decline too much and GMBM can plug some holes. Could go either way. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely nothing against Lindgren, but I think he's a bit on fumes mentally and physically. Start Kuemper for Game 4. We will not win the game anyways, since we don't know how to score goals, but Kuemper is completely fresh. Jensen/Sandin need to be inserted in the lineup even if not close to 100%.

Don't hate the Kuemper idea. We're not going to win the series, so maybe this could focus/revive him. Little downside, more upside.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Rationally, the Rags were always going to win this series.

Rationally, we've seen the old guys fading (although Carly has been hanging in there).

Rationally, Lindgren couldn't steal the series.

Rationally, playing only half of your top 10 D's was going to be an issue.

But.......getting pushed around and pounded by the Rangers is tough to take. Watching OV and Patches and even Oshie (love you Oshbabe) being slow and stumbling and bumbling is hard to take. Watching Oshie and Van Riemsdyk getting hit high with no justice is hard to take. Dowd seems off, Wilson seems off. Who the heck knows about Kuemper?

So, it's on to 24-25. How great is the fact that we get to jettison 67 but he will still count against the cap? Hope the kids get better, the olds don't decline too much and GMBM can plug some holes. Could go either way. Fingers crossed.

Don't hate the Kuemper idea. We're not going to win the series, so maybe this could focus/revive him. Little downside, more upside.
Also, even if they lose and he were to play well, Caps can trade him to a team that needs a #1 type goalie with playoff experience.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
We lost our 2nd and 3rd best dman and also our two best puck carrying dman. I’m sure many will disagree with my rankings but a devestating blow to the team nonetheless.

A great team could over come that, Caps are not that.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad