Claimed off Waivers: Montreal claims Antti Niemi

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
A fun fact: Montreal is Niemi's sixth NHL team. Among actives, him and Chad Johnson have represented the most clubs during their careers.
The first two players that came to mind have played for more teams. Jagr (9) and Dom Moore (10). I’m assuming you were talking about goalies though.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I was pretty sure someone would put an end to his NHL career already. How many days to next waiver?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I guess Montoya's concussion is very bad if they had to bring Niemi in.

Kind of a slap in the face to Lindgren though considering how much a roll he's been on. This tells us as soon as Price is ready, he's going in regardless if Charlie continues to post stellar numbers. Would be ideal if they let Price sit as the backup while Charlie goes on his run, but meh, whatever, that is why MB gets paid the big bucks and gets **** on everyday by his fanbase.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Kind of a slap in the face to Lindgren though considering how much a roll he's been on. This tells us as soon as Price is ready, he's going in regardless if Charlie continues to post stellar numbers. Would be ideal if they let Price sit as the backup while Charlie goes on his run, but meh, whatever, that is why MB gets paid the big bucks and gets **** on everyday by his fanbase.

Or Niemi gets waived when Price returns.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It literally means Montoya's injury is a long-term and this is their way of just making sure someone like Fucale, and even Lindgren (who can simply be a paper transaction considering how close MTL-Laval are) aren't sitting too long on the bench and not developing when Price comes back.

No. When you say "literally" it closes down any debate or speculation. I know for a fact that you are not priveledged to the Manager's meetings. M.B. is rolling with Lindgren hoping he will excite a GM into giving up a C for better goaltending.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

Despite his horrible start, Price is still very much the best, if not a top 3 goalie in the world. So yes, when he is ready, he will get the net- and that, despite whatever numbers Lindgren puts up.

Goalies with Lindgrens "potential" need to see lots of pucks, and play as many games as possible. Having him sit on the bench and play 1 out of 4 games backing up Price doesnt help him develop furthur, it will stunt it all together.

Enter Niemi. Montoya is probably out for most of the remainder of the season, and Price needs a back up.

Simple as that.

Throw in the fact Waite coached Niemi in Chicago and MB also knows him well and it was a calculated, must make move.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This mean Lindgren will be traded. They need some piece to add in a trade in order to find a Center.

That's an interesting thought. Could they really afford to this without knowing what Price will be about the rest of this season?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It's as if Montreal fans are reliving the nightmarish era of the late-90s Habs all over again.
late 90's? Why go that far? Just look back a couple of years ago.
2015/16: Price out after 12 games, rookie goalie in (Condon), GM picks up Scrivens to backup.
201718: Price out after 11 games, rookie goalie in (Lindgren), GM picks up Niemi to backup.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That's an interesting thought. Could they really afford to this without knowing what Price will be about the rest of this season?

They know what Price will be.

Price will probably give Montreal 45 starts this season. This isn't the first time he's been out.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
late 90's? Why go that far? Just look back a couple of years ago.
2015/16: Price out after 12 games, rookie goalie in (Condon), GM picks up Scrivens to backup.
201718: Price out after 11 games, rookie goalie in (Lindgren), GM picks up Niemi to backup.

I was thinking the series of bad trades that has made Montreal a worse team is closer to what Houle did to the Habs. Bergevin has done the same type of damage to the team.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Karma is a bitch, Habs fan cannot laugh about Florida anymore.

Habs fan cannot laugh about too much lately anyway

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I actually don't know what the time frames are because I think Florida claimed him on Oct. 24th and waived him again yesterday, so that was less than a month. Maybe there aren't restrictions on how often someone can be waived, I'm not sure.

Are you sure? He was waived by Florida less than a month before Pittsburgh waived him

I don't know where this misunderstanding originated. Have seen it repeated a few times on the forums recently.

There is no restriction on when Niemi could be waived again or requirement he spends any # of days on the Montreal roster. Montreal could waive him tomorrow if they wanted to.

See above. I posted after my original statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad