Claimed off Waivers: Montreal claims Antti Niemi

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'd much, much rather give Fucale a chance than a guy who's been waived twice one month into the season. I give Niemi a week and he'll be back on waivers again. For Christ's sake MB.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Haha, true enough. There are only 4 winning teams each year, if you think about it. The Cup and the first 3 picks in the draft.

It definitely wont happen, simply because Montreal isn't bad enough to get that lucky, but if this season ends with:

1) Dahlin; and/or
2) a better GM.

Most Habs fans will be pretty damn happy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This mean Lindgren will be traded. They need some piece to add in a trade in order to find a Center.
It literally means Montoya's injury is a long-term and this is their way of just making sure someone like Fucale, and even Lindgren (who can simply be a paper transaction considering how close MTL-Laval are) aren't sitting too long on the bench and not developing when Price comes back.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
It definitely wont happen, simply because Montreal isn't bad enough to get that lucky, but if this season ends with:

1) Dahlin; and/or
2) a better GM.

Most Habs fans will be pretty damn happy.
Neither is going to happen though Montreal make the playoffs which means Bergevin doesn't get doesn't get fired . If it happens that way I guess there's going to be a lot of unhappy fans ??

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A fun fact: Montreal is Niemi's sixth NHL team. Among actives, him and Chad Johnson have represented the most clubs during their careers.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Niemi is going for the Jagr - gotta play in Canada for the retirement year after an entire career in the US.

In case he wants to go for the NHL record of most teams played in a single season, there's still time to visit Vegas and Arizona :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He can't be waived again for a specific period of time which I can't remember what it is haha. So, he'll take up a roster spot for that period of time whether he's dressed/playing or not.

I don't know where this misunderstanding originated. Have seen it repeated a few times on the forums recently.

There is no restriction on when Niemi could be waived again or requirement he spends any # of days on the Montreal roster. Montreal could waive him tomorrow if they wanted to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad