Monthly News Thread (January 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i wish punk the best. hopefully he can pull the one win he needs to stay there.
if he shows at all in its cool. but i rather have it on ppv/tv cuz im selfish and need to see it "live."

Oct 18, 2011
it's embarrassing that the UFC is willing to put a complete amateur like Punk back in their ring again, this is honestly something bellator would do, but I guess Dana thinks Punk can make him some money

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
it's embarrassing that the UFC is willing to put a complete amateur like Punk back in their ring again, this is honestly something bellator would do, but I guess Dana thinks Punk can make him some money
It did the first time. He's been away long enough that people could still be curious. I think they will be. But if it goes the same way the first fight did, then it's over.

He did have a comic book released in November, so it's also not like MMA is the only thing he's doing.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
You can say that, but I'm 100% sure that if they put him on TV that everyone who says that about him will watch anyway. They might not by a PPV for him, but they'll watch on TV.

And that's really the entire point of him. Punk is meaningless to UFC, but they can use him to draw views to a show and then showcase some other rising star to said viewers. That was the entire point of the Gall fight too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You can say that, but I'm 100% sure that if they put him on TV that everyone who says that about him will watch anyway. They might not by a PPV for him, but they'll watch on TV.

And that's really the entire point of him. Punk is meaningless to UFC, but they can use him to draw views to a show and then showcase some other rising star to said viewers. That was the entire point of the Gall fight too.
I think they're going to try putting him on a PPV.

Ngannou just lost and he was the horse Dana was backing now, too. All indications point to McGregor being quietly stripped of his belt, so he probably isn't coming back anytime soon. They don't have many options and may just be clinging on the hope of Punk still having some drawing power.

He will help if his next fight is on a Fight Night event, though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm guessing you don't know that much about the history of UFC (or MMA for that matter). We just had a fight that was a total freak show come close to making more money in one night than any fight in the history of planet earth.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Punk will be on a PPV card. People now know he sucks (as opposed to just suspecting it before) but people will still buy the show to see him lose.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Punk was always a s***ty wrestler. It's his mic skills that are prime.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Batista did an interview talking about the current product.

He said it's not as fun as it used to be and a lot of the creativity seems to be stifled now and how the company gives wrestlers characters. He said a lot of guys seem afraid to break through and do something different because they're so afraid of losing their jobs because they have a wrestler factory in NXT that keeps churning out wrestlers, but called most of the NXT guys cookie cutter. He doesn't know what they're doing with Bray Wyatt and why they're doing it, and he said he had a lot of fun putting over The Shield and then he left and they immediately broke them up which he never understood.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Highly questionable.

He said it's not as fun as it used to be and a lot of the creativity seems to be stifled now and how the company gives wrestlers characters. He said a lot of guys seem afraid to break through and do something different because they're so afraid of losing their jobs because they have a wrestler factory in NXT that keeps churning out wrestlers, but called most of the NXT guys cookie cutter. He doesn't know what they're doing with Bray Wyatt and why they're doing it, and he said he had a lot of fun putting over The Shield and then he left and they immediately broke them up which he never understood.
Hindsight being 20/20 I think it was the right time to break up The Shield. The reasoning was weird to me, always will be because they just went through hell in a war vs Evolution and all of a sudden Rollins joins them. But it's better to break them up then instead of them getting stale as faces.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Eh Punk was not a bad in ring guy most of the time. His in ring prime was almost certainly before his big WWE run though. His stuff from ROH holds up well today in ring. I will say that I always thought that Punk was quite below average athletically. Something like that can be hidden, but Punk didn't have a style that hid it well enough. His elbow drop was absolutely awful for instance. All that said though, he is one of the best ever with the mic.

That's pretty rich coming from Batista, who wrestled in an very boring era and who himself was extremely boring both inside and outside of the ring. I'm not sure that the mighty OVW that produced Batista was so far ahead of NXT either. Batista was little more than a jacked guy who picked his friends well and was protected very well in his booking.

Reactions: Deen

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Is it any less embarrassing than them having their LW Champion Conor McGregor refuse to defend his championship for nearly 2-years and then they refuse to strip him of said title?
This is the UFC we're talking about here.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Even his WWE stuff was good up until he burned out after Brock Lesnar at Summerslam. Post-SS13 Punk couldn't even have a good one-on-one match with Seth Rollins at that point.

His series with Cena was amazing. His stuff with Bryan was legit. He had good matches with guys like Ziggler, Orton, Mysterio, Jericho, Henry, etc., but agreed on the athletic part. He wasn't athletic at all. He's still one of the GOATs on the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad