Speculation: Monahan forward most likely dealt first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Close enough. Point being, nobody is trading for him with any intentions of extending him to a long term deal. If he resigns with that team, it’ll be as a role player. Too many injuries that have mattered, for him to ever be a core player again.
"Mid thirty" is close enough to 29? lol

Guy is a rental. Many rentals get late 1st or 2nd + prospect at the deadline.

Reactions: Canadienna

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Monahan isn’t a #2C on a contender

This is true. If Sean Monahan is your second line centre you're not a very good hockey team.

He's a 3rd liner that can credibly jump up and play higher and is versatile in that he can play centre or wing.

But he doesn't really move the needle offensively five on five and he's not very physical and isn't very good defensively.

I think the Habs will get a 2nd and a decent young player for him.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
There it is. Just as I thought. How many Habs games have you watched this year? My guess is ZERO. If anything, he's a very good defensive center and awesome on faceoffs. And never was a speed burner, but has very, very high IQ so he doesn't need to be. AND can actually produce offensively. On a team with better scoring wingers, he'd be edging close to a PPG which is where he was before the Habs lost 2/3 of their 2nd line. Seriously, HFBoards has some bizarre takes. Guess you thought Leks was a bum before you watched him play.
I don’t care if the man walked on water. We ain’t buying

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Why would Montreal agree to let him choose the team lmfao oh my god what is wrong with this organization
A gentlemen agreement when he accepted to sign a cheap contract to stay in mtl. But I think the deal is to trade him to a contender and consult him before the trade. Im ok with that we already received a first for taking his contract

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
It would be epic to see Treliving trade a first for him. 😂😂😂. But I think a conditional pick is most likely for Monny. His injury history should scare everyone interested. Look at Aaron Rodgers and his Jets career so far. That’s why conditional picks work

• Wow
Reactions: Canadienna

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
And it’s not like he would be a bad acquisition.

Not true. He might not even play 13 minutes with the Avs. Just look at RJ these days. Guys who cant skate, cant defend, and bring some jam/energy struggle with the Avs.

It shouldnt be the Avs and maybe what youre saying is true for a different team. But for the Avs, this is likely a bad acquisition. They shouldn't be giving up any assets for this.

And the Avs were one of the teams mentioned.

One thing worth noting, this is Dreger who knows almost nothing about the Avs. He routinely gets the Avs wrong. The source of anxiety for Avs fans is that the GM seems especially dedicated to get guys who are slow and not a fit with the Avs simply because they seem cheap. And it seems to be a lesson he doesnt want to learn. First, Eller, then Johansen, and now this (if true). But going cheap on Johansen could end up bring costly. Its slapping MacFarland in the face and to target Monahan doesnt make sense but is also somewhat believable.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Not true. He might not even play 13 minutes with the Avs. Just look at RJ these days. Guys who cant skate, cant defend, and bring some jam/energy struggle with the Avs.

It shouldnt be the Avs and maybe what youre saying is true for a different team. But for the Avs, this is likely a bad acquisition. They shouldn't be giving up any assets for this.
I’m not talking about the avs.

You seems to take this too seriously.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He's a good 3C right now. Slow player, doesn't hit but he's still very smart. I'd say he's worth a 2nd and if he's the first to go, I can't imagine there being much of a bidding war. Maybe a 2nd+decent prospect.

Now if some of the bigger fish get traded and Monahan is still available/teams still need a C, he will fetch more than a 2nd. Happens all the time - look at chiarot trade lol. Definitely wasn't worth a 1st + prospect but it's TDL. GMs get desperate and overpay to get their guy all the time so I expect same with Monahan under the right circumstances.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
It really depends on the price of Lindholm so I'm not surprised Montreal are trying to deal him sooner rather than later. If the price for Lindholm is too high, it'll put teams off but that may not help Montreal as teams will want a cheap addition. Bjugstadt at Arizona is a similar age to Monahan, similar points, similar cap and bigger physically whilst unlikely to cost close to what Montreal want.

If the price for Lindholm isn't ridiculous, then teams will go there and it'll drive the prices of Monahan down.

Someone will take him, but it could easily be an underwhelming return. The idea that the Canadiens will keep him is just insane. Get some assets back and if he likes Montreal, re-sign him in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad