Speculation: Monahan forward most likely dealt first

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He’d be a number 2 on Boston and Colorado.

So by that measure neither of those teams are contenders. Hot take bond!!!

He wouldn’t be a 2C on Colorado if Bednar refuses to play him there, like you’re seeing with Johansen. Both can’t skate, can’t play defense. At least Johansen has scored a greater % of his points away from the PP than Monahan. And that’s while playing less than 15 minutes a night.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Why would Montreal agree to let him choose the team lmfao oh my god what is wrong with this organization
Just a guess but Montreal is one of the least popular destinations for NHL players, and they're probably trying to signal to players that even though they're re-building it's a good place to get your career back on track like Monahan has.

Reactions: Chose and Voight

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
He wouldn’t be a 2C on Colorado if Bednar refuses to play him there, like you’re seeing with Johansen. Both can’t skate, can’t play defense. At least Johansen has scored a greater % of his points away from the PP than Monahan. And that’s while playing less than 15 minutes a night.
There it is. Just as I thought. How many Habs games have you watched this year? My guess is ZERO. If anything, he's a very good defensive center and awesome on faceoffs. And never was a speed burner, but has very, very high IQ so he doesn't need to be. AND can actually produce offensively. On a team with better scoring wingers, he'd be edging close to a PPG which is where he was before the Habs lost 2/3 of their 2nd line. Seriously, HFBoards has some bizarre takes. Guess you thought Leks was a bum before you watched him play.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Playing with marchand and Pastrnak.... Monahan is playing with scraps.

He's a 2nd line center right now in Colorado and Boston.

Bednar has to play him there. Not a guarantee. He and Johansen have similar challenges. And Bednar and MacFarland have been having this 2C stand off going back to Compher vs Newhook.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
There it is. Just as I thought. How many Habs games have you watched this year? My guess is ZERO. If anything, he's a very good defensive center and awesome on faceoffs. And never was a speed burner, but has very, very high IQ so he doesn't need to be. AND can actually produce offensively. On a team with better scoring wingers, he'd be edging close to a PPG which is where he was before the Habs lost 2/3 of their 2nd line. Seriously, HFBoards has some bizarre takes. Guess you thought Leks was a bum before you watched him play.

Good for you. Keep him.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Bednar has to play him there. Not a guarantee. He and Johansen have similar challenges.
Yeah of course Bednar is deciding in the end but Monahan is way better than people think, MTL is a bottom 5 team in the NHL.

He's MTL best forward this year behind Suzuki, it's crazy how bad this team is....

Monahan is not a 2c on a contender.
Neither is Zacha or Colton lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is a bizarre take in itself

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Yeah of course Bednar is deciding in the end but Monahan is way better than people think, MTL is a bottom 5 team in the NHL.

He's MTL best forward this year behind Suzuki, it's crazy how bad this team is....

Neither is Zacha or Colton lol

Then you keep him.

Reactions: TS Quint

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
This is a bizarre take in itself
So accurate is bizarre? How so? I actually watch Monahan play, you? This is the typical take on HFboards. All Habs players are useless crap until they're not on the Habs. Tell me how and why do you think Monahan isn't as a described and what about my take is not reasonable? It IS true he was close to a ppg before all our injuries. It is true he's an excellent defensive forward and great on faceoffs. It IS general knowledge that he's got a high IQ. That is all true. So what is not true or accurate, is YOUR take. Sayonara, joe. Unless you can have an objective debate, I'm not wasting my precious time with you.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Playing with marchand and Pastrnak.... Monahan is playing with scraps.

He's a 2nd line center right now in Colorado and Boston.
Marchand and Pasta are hardly ever played together. Monahan only has 3 more points than Trent Frederic while averaging 5 more minutes of ice time per game. Frederic also fights and hits, Monahan has a whopping 9 hits this year. 11 power play points for Monahan compared to Frederic’s 1. Not really sure why Bruins want Monahan tbh. They have enough middle sixers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So accurate is bizarre? How so? I actually watch Monahan play, you? This is the typical take on HFboards. All Habs players are useless crap until they're not on the Habs. Tell me how and why do you think Monahan isn't as a described and what about my take is not reasonable? It IS true he was close to a ppg before all our injuries. It is true he's an excellent defensive forward and great on faceoffs. It IS general knowledge that he's got a high IQ. That is all true. So what is not true or accurate, is YOUR take. Sayonara, joe. Unless you can have an objective debate, I'm not wasting my precious time with you.
Guy was barely ever a ppg player when he was at his best before all his injuries

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
We can agree on that. Hughes will not take a late 2nd for him. No way. He'd keep him instead. Monahan is a very solid player that would help any team. And a character guy to boot. Unless they get similar return as they did Toffoli, he's staying in Montreal. And I would be thrilled if he did.

He’s not a help to the Avs. The Avs are a graveyard for guys like him, who can’t skate.

Last year the Avs were linked to Monahan. Do you want to know why? The Avs were willing to pay what they paid for Eller. They’ve only traded their 1st once and that was for Kuemper. Never in this scenario.

Sorry but Monahan isn’t the kind of player that the Avs have been willing to spend a 1st on.

This is a team that got Toews for two 2nds. And you think MacFarland will trade a 1st for Johonahan?

On the other hand, he might because he seems to be determined to acquire slow players who don’t fit on the Avs.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Guy was barely ever a ppg player when he was at his best before all his injuries
He was around .80 ppg before we got nailed with a ton of injuries to our forwards. My point is on a team with good wingers, he is back there easily, and possibly hits the ppg mark. The guy is a good player. Been down this road on the main boards before. It's useless. But I'll make sure to revisit this thread once he's traded for what he's worth. IE, more than ppl here are saying.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Nobody pays Grade A assets for a mid 30s 3C. They’ll get the same thing from whatever team he chooses to go to. There won’t be a bidding war. They’ll set their price, and teams will either meet it or not. If they don’t, price goes down.

If teams are sending Grade A Assets away at the deadline. It’ll be for a rental who’s expected to be a core piece OR for a player the team spending the prime asset, is going to sign to an extension.

Monahan isn’t going to rewrite the trade deadline history book here.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nobody pays Grade A assets for a mid 30s 3C. They’ll get the same thing from whatever team he chooses to go to. There won’t be a bidding war. They’ll set their price, and teams will either meet it or not. If they don’t, price goes down.

If teams are sending Grade A Assets away at the deadline. It’ll be for a rental who’s expected to be a core piece OR for a player the team spending the prime asset, is going to sign to an extension.

Monahan isn’t going to rewrite the trade deadline history book here.

He's 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad