Molson Should fire himself and hire Roy as President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Roy had a good rookie year as a coach and won the Adams but things started to fall apart after that. I have not heard any rumor that any team has offered him a position as coach, assistant coach or even AHL coach. Heck with his ego I doubt he would even say yes to coaching in the AHL.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ohh and funny thing is that he never coached the Remparts to the QMJHL title but yes did win the Memorial Cup but only made it in because they lost to the host team in the QMJHL finals. Let's face it, the Memorial Cup is a one and done type tourney so you don't have to worry about a best of seven series and he lost that to Moncton 4-2.

Reactions: Roke

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
It means literally nothing eh? That is BS!

It does. mean. nothing.

BS?

We mentioned to you multiple people that were terrible managers but great players. You're response? Well he won in the CHL too.

We respond that lots of great managers in the CHL were never good in the NHL and you go back that he was a winner as a player.

We have a sample size of him as coach/GM in the NHL level and he was terrible.

You also have a terrible track record of judging management (i.e. Bergevin), so sorry if we do not trust your opinion on this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It does. mean. nothing.

BS?

We mentioned to you multiple people that were terrible managers but great players. You're response? Well he won in the CHL too.

We respond that lots of great managers in the CHL were never good in the NHL and you go back that he was a winner as a player.

We have a sample size of him as coach/GM in the NHL level and he was terrible.

You also have a terrible track record of judging management (i.e. Bergevin), so sorry if we do not trust your opinion on this.

We clearly disagree. It's ok

- Roy's NHL coaching Record: 130-92-24. This is not something that I would define as "he was terrible".

- Roy has shown good leadership within the CHL level. And this was as a Coach/GM/Owner. This is not something I would define as "it literally means nothing"

- I have a terrible track record of judging management? That is your opinion and "it literally means nothing" to me ;)

I can't help you if you disagree and then proceed to hate me for it. Not my problem. That is your problem.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Roy's NHL coaching record greatly benefited from the fact that Varlamov had his career year during his first season behind the bench. Varlamov couldn't replicate that in Roy's latter two years and the record reflected that. They were a negative possession team and didn't win a playoff round, either.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
We clearly disagree. It's ok

- Roy's NHL coaching Record: 130-92-24. This is not something that I would define as "he was terrible".

- Roy has shown good leadership within the CHL level. And this was as a Coach/GM/Owner. This is not something I would define as "it literally means nothing"

- I have a terrible track record of judging management? That is your opinion and "it literally means nothing" to me ;)

I can't help you if you disagree and then proceed to hate me for it. Not my problem. That is your problem.

It might not be terrible but it is propped up by that first season. He didn't make the playoffs the two following years and his record got worse and worse. I personally feel it's time for the Habs to stop hiring former players of the team and to get some good hockey minds, no matter their language, to help this team win.

As for Roy in the CHL, you keep saying he was so good but outside the Memorial Cup his teams were good to meh especially when it counted in the playoffs. They made the QMJHL final that first year and didn't win it and never got to the final after that. The memorial Cup they won was because they were stacked offensively. They were terrible on defense.

Half the top 10 scores that year were from them and they have Radulov, Esposito (good junior not so much after) and Vlasic among others.

Gilbert Brule, Vancouver56612-118
Alexander Radulov, Quebec4549+46
Philippe Dupuis, Moncton5257+34
Mathieu Melanson, Quebec4336+58
Cody Franson, Vancouver5325-58
Maxime Lacroix, Quebec4235+22
Angelo Esposito, Quebec4145+26
Jordan LaVallee, Quebec4314-37
Stephane Goulet, Moncton5224+22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goaltending and defense not as good which you would think would be his forté being a former goalie. Desjardins had the second worse GGA and worse save% of the tournament.

Josh Tordjman, Moncton298112.210.935
Dustin Slade, Vancouver295122.431.886
Cedrick Desjardins, Quebec239153.760.881
David Shantz, Peterborough235153.830.906
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It might not be terrible but it is propped up by that first season. He didn't make the playoffs the two following years and his record got worse and worse. I personally feel it's time for the Habs to stop hiring former players of the team and to get some good hockey minds, no matter their language, to help this team win.

As for Roy in the CHL, you keep saying he was so good but outside the Memorial Cup his teams were good to meh especially when it counted in the playoffs. They made the QMJHL final that first year and didn't win it and never got to the final after that. The memorial Cup they won was because they were stacked offensively. They were terrible on defense.

Half the top 10 scores that year were from them and they have Radulov, Esposito (good junior not so much after) and Vlasic among others.

Gilbert Brule, Vancouver56612-118
Alexander Radulov, Quebec4549+46
Philippe Dupuis, Moncton5257+34
Mathieu Melanson, Quebec4336+58
Cody Franson, Vancouver5325-58
Maxime Lacroix, Quebec4235+22
Angelo Esposito, Quebec4145+26
Jordan LaVallee, Quebec4314-37
Stephane Goulet, Moncton5224+22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goaltending and defense not as good which you would think would be his forté being a former goalie. Desjardins had the second worse GGA and worse save% of the tournament.

Josh Tordjman, Moncton298112.210.935
Dustin Slade, Vancouver295122.431.886
Cedrick Desjardins, Quebec239153.760.881
David Shantz, Peterborough235153.830.906
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

- They won a memorial cup and Roy acquired and coached the players that made it happen.

- Roy did have a very good 1st season and the next two seasons were not as good but the Avs were losing players as well (ROR, McGinn, Stastny). Roy had the same problem back when as Julien is having this year. The team is not very good. However, I am asking for Roy to be the next President, not the next coach.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
- They won a memorial cup and Roy acquired and coached the players that made it happen.

- Roy did have a very good 1st season and the next two seasons were not as good but the Avs were losing players as well (ROR, McGinn, Stastny). Roy had the same problem back when as Julien is having this year. The team is not very good. However, I am asking for Roy to be the next President, not the next coach.
You like to forget certain things like they didn't even win the Q championship and where lucky they lost to the host if not they would not have even been there. Is winning one trophy in junior all that it takes to wow you? What about the other years he was coach and the team did squat?

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
I'll list my criteria and then see if Roy fits

1 - Thinker - someone who has the ability to develop a short and long term strategy to build a winner.
Roy was able to build a winner in the QMJHL. But I believe it was a short term vision. Nature of junior hockey with the quick turnover of players. Rumor was he wanted Radulov for the Avs before he quit. They passed on Girigenko during his draft year. He seems to know his hockey.

2 - Communicator - some one who can comminucate with other team personel, other teams, etc. Based on his past I don't see Roy playing too well with others.

3 - Talent evaluator - at all levels. Hold people responsible. No more nepotism. I think he's good at evaluating hockey talent. Doesn't seem to have a clique. Which is good. Question his ability to evaluate non- ice related talent. And his ability to separate his personal feelings when evaluating.

4 - intangibles. I don't he would be swayed by media. I'm looking at you AC. He is a legend but also has a massive ego. I think this could lead to a major sh*t storm.

Overall - I don't want him as the next president. I'd prefer someone with a business management background. Add a even tempered hockey as a assistant or a GM.

Hockey has evolved into a business. Players bo longet come We need business people running the overall business and knowledgeable hockey personel to help make the hockey decisions.

I really wanted Brisebois a few years back along with Boucher.

Can't believe they were both in our system and we let them go.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You like to forget certain things like they didn't even win the Q championship and where lucky they lost to the host if not they would not have even been there. Is winning one trophy in junior all that it takes to wow you? What about the other years he was coach and the team did squat?

Not forgetting about it on purpose. But thanks for bringing it up and insisting I forgot about it on purpose. I did mention that the Rampart were a very good for several seasons. No matter how you spin it, Roy built a very successful team for several years while he was Coach/GM/Owner. He drove the bus and it's a sample of what he can do when in charge.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll list my criteria and then see if Roy fits

1 - Thinker - someone who has the ability to develop a short and long term strategy to build a winner.
Roy was able to build a winner in the QMJHL. But I believe it was a short term vision. Nature of junior hockey with the quick turnover of players. Rumor was he wanted Radulov for the Avs before he quit. They passed on Girigenko during his draft year. He seems to know his hockey.

2 - Communicator - some one who can comminucate with other team personel, other teams, etc. Based on his past I don't see Roy playing too well with others.

3 - Talent evaluator - at all levels. Hold people responsible. No more nepotism. I think he's good at evaluating hockey talent. Doesn't seem to have a clique. Which is good. Question his ability to evaluate non- ice related talent. And his ability to separate his personal feelings when evaluating.

4 - intangibles. I don't he would be swayed by media. I'm looking at you AC. He is a legend but also has a massive ego. I think this could lead to a major sh*t storm.

Overall - I don't want him as the next president. I'd prefer someone with a business management background. Add a even tempered hockey as a assistant or a GM.

Hockey has evolved into a business. Players bo longet come We need business people running the overall business and knowledgeable hockey personel to help make the hockey decisions.

I really wanted Brisebois a few years back along with Boucher.

Can't believe they were both in our system and we let them go.

Does Shanahan have a business background? Not sure? Roy does have a business background. He Owned and operated a very successful QMJHL team. It's not a NHL team but what business did Shanahan have? Director of player safety?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Does Shanahan have a business background? Not sure? Roy does have a business background. He Owned and operated a very successful QMJHL team. It's not a NHL team but what business did Shanahan have? Director of player safety?

Actual he does in that he started his career at the NHL HQ as vice president of hockey and business development and a quote from him at the time "In a broad sense, I think obviously, I am going to be another voice in the hockey ops, but at the same time people like [NHL COO] John Collins and [NHL EVP Communications] Gary [Meagher] and [NHL Deputy Commissioner] Bill [Daly] are going to allow me and teach me the business of hockey," Shanahan told NHL.com. "What I was excited about in their offer to bring me on board is that it was wide open for me. There was not going to be any room with a closed door and I would be given an opportunity to see and learn. As time goes by there will be some days where my role is more hockey specific and some days where my role is more business or marketing specific."
And contrary to what you have posted and what many seem to believe he was never only the head of the player safety department that was just one of his roles in 2011 when he became the leagues Senior VP. He had others that looked at things like Quintal at the time as he has been with that department since it's creation working under Shannahan.

Like I said, I just don't see Roy as a good match for the team as he continues to cycle of nepotism that has not helped the team over the last 20 years.

Reactions: Harry22

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Molson had an interview with Ron Fournier where he confirmed he would be open to having someone else as Habs president :

Molson challengé par un célèbre animateur de radio

I see Molson eventually leave his place to someone else. Actually, wow, this is the best Habs news ive had in the last 18 months, to say he is open to it means he's no longer blind to what is happening, or at the least, his partners have noticed and started planning for some major changes in management, even at the very top.

Id be open to Roy, but the one guy id truly want is Big Bird.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see Molson eventually leave his place to someone else. Actually, wow, this is the best Habs news ive had in the last 18 months, to say he is open to it means he's no longer blind to what is happening, or at the least, his partners have noticed and started planning for some major changes in management, even at the very top.

Anybody but Molson but someone that is not all about dressing up nice in a suit to just have the position for the sake of having it. Roy, Brodeur, Big Bird. Those are the names I would agree with. Definitely not Quintal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actual he does in that he started his career at the NHL HQ as vice president of hockey and business development and a quote from him at the time "In a broad sense, I think obviously, I am going to be another voice in the hockey ops, but at the same time people like [NHL COO] John Collins and [NHL EVP Communications] Gary [Meagher] and [NHL Deputy Commissioner] Bill [Daly] are going to allow me and teach me the business of hockey," Shanahan told NHL.com. "What I was excited about in their offer to bring me on board is that it was wide open for me. There was not going to be any room with a closed door and I would be given an opportunity to see and learn. As time goes by there will be some days where my role is more hockey specific and some days where my role is more business or marketing specific."
And contrary to what you have posted and what many seem to believe he was never only the head of the player safety department that was just one of his roles in 2011 when he became the leagues Senior VP. He had others that looked at things like Quintal at the time as he has been with that department since it's creation working under Shannahan.

Like I said, I just don't see Roy as a good match for the team as he continues to cycle of nepotism that has not helped the team over the last 20 years.

I am jealous the Leafs were able to find a guy like Shanahan to be their true leader. I wasn't insisting he did not have a business background at all as I supported him as a President. I just like the idea of having a solid guy at the top who knows how to win and was a big part of their team when they won. Personally, I do think Roy would do a better job than the reputation of him being a short tempered person implies.

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011

I never said I was a fan of Shanahan. But I will give him credit. He brought in smart people to help him out. Do you think Roy''s ego would let him bring an established old school guy like Lou in to help him?

I think the NHL has evolved and we should be evolving with it or ahead of it need a strategist in place. With a hockey guy in a support role. Roy's ego made him an amazing player, but it would prevent him from being a good supporting member of the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never said I was a fan of Shanahan. But I will give him credit. He brought in smart people to help him out. Do you think Roy''s ego would let him bring an established old school guy like Lou in to help him?

I think the NHL has evolved and we should be evolving with it or ahead of it need a strategist in place. With a hockey guy in a support role. Roy's ego made him an amazing player, but it would prevent him from being a good supporting member of the team.

I honestly believe Roy would do whatever it takes to win. It's in his DNA. That's why he gets upset when he is part of something that he don't believe in and he knows will not result in wins. This is why I give him the president title. I bet you surprises people very quickly. Every situation he left, the team he leaves behind stinks!

Like I said, It's not a popular choice but he clearly wants to be part of management and I would give him a shot. Leafs gave Shanahan a shot. Lightning gave Yzerman a shot.

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
I honestly believe Roy would do whatever it takes to win. It's in his DNA. That's why he gets upset when he is part of something that he don't believe in and he knows will not result in wins. This is why I give him the president title. I bet you surprises people very quickly. Every situation he left, the team he leaves behind stinks!

Like I said, It's not a popular choice but he clearly wants to be part of management and I would give him a shot. Leafs gave Shanahan a shot. Lightning gave Yzerman a shot.

That very well be the case. I don't think anyone here would argue against his will to win. I also think he has a good hockey mind. I think most nay sayers just don't trust his temperament.

Also where would the Leafs be if they had tanked during a different year and not the McDavid year. No Matthews or McDavid with their current D?

Yzerman has been amazing. Some luck with drafting spots. But what's impressed me is ability to correct mistakes.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I am jealous the Leafs were able to find a guy like Shanahan to be their true leader. I wasn't insisting he did not have a business background at all as I supported him as a President. I just like the idea of having a solid guy at the top who knows how to win and was a big part of their team when they won. Personally, I do think Roy would do a better job than the reputation of him being a short tempered person implies.
Like I said maybe he would be a good fit but history has shown us that all these former Habs players have done nothing to help them over the last two decades.

Edit: Just as an aside, most people don't want to be president and I doubt Roy would want the job unless he was also GM. My uncle in Florida is very good friends with Dave Tallon, I got to meet him at my cousin's wedding last October (2016) and got to see an Avs v Caps. We talked a lot of hockey and my uncle told me how pissed Tallon was that he was made President of the club when they brought in that young analytics guy. Didn't last long in the end as he is back to being GM.

This is what I was saying about the President usually does not overrule the GM regarding various trades etc. He explained to me some of the stuff he was not happy with but in the end it's the agreement the owner, president and GM have.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Lots of possibilities outside of the names that usually come up. Dryden, Bobby Smith, Mike Bossy...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You know who also knew what it took to win and was a proven winner?

Kevin Lowe.

Yeah and Lowe would tell everyone who criticized him that he "has 5 cup rings" and therefore knew what it took to win in NHL to his critics. The suggestion being that the critics were ignorant.

It became so bad it became a meme with Oiler fans & used against him as being arrogant.

I can definitely see Roy going the Kevin Lowe route.

Reactions: groovejuice

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Is Robinson still working in hockey?

member 256847

I don’t think Roy would be able to delegate the day-to-day operation to a GM, and concentrate only on the big picture. He’d be a nightmare of micromanagement to whoever gets that position after MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia