Molson Should fire himself and hire Roy as President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Roy is one of the last people I'd want running the team. I agree with Lafleurs Guy that he'll surely be brought in at some point and it'll likely be a disaster though. So at least we have that to look forward to.

Reactions: Harry22

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Hiring a president that actually has a clue about how a team should be structured and run is definetly a no brainer. The president has to hold the GM accountable, and make sure he is building the team according to the organization's established image. The GM and president have to work together to make sure the team is built properly. Just like a GM and Coach have to work together to make sure the team is playing according to the team's image.

Is Roy that guy? I don't think so. He'd just act as the pseudo-GM anyway, and would only hire a puppet GM, which is not what a president should do. At the end of the day, the GM has to have the power to make trades and sign players. The president is only there to hold him accountable and make sure what he's doing is in the best interest of what the team wants to be.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I hate the idea of Quintal as President. What the hell has he done to deserve a President title? Director of player safety? Shanahan >>> Quintal.

- Hey Quintal: What have you accomplished beyond your player career that makes you a good candidate to be the next President of the Montreal Canadians?

- Quintal's Answer: Well, I am director or player safety in the NHL and the guy who had the last position is now the President of the Leafs. So... you know :) ;) ;) :)

Basically, yeah. It's a good position to learn the ins & outs of the NHL. A lot of people had held that role & went on to front office jobs.

Basically yeah. You learn a lot in that position about the ins & outs in the NHL. You meet the power players, talk to GMs & learn the various rules & regulations.

Shanahan isn't the only one to jump to a front office from that position just the most recent.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
This is simple really. Roy is maybe the greatest hab of all time. He ditched the team??!!? F dat they hung him out to dry to belittle him and show him he wasn't "bigger than the sacred habs: storied franchise", sound familiar? He left mtl we sucked, he left colo the first time they sucked, he left colo the second time they sucked.

When he was traded 12 y old vern cried his little eyes out and stopped watching hockey for 10 years. Why? cus he was a legit hero. A hero to real fans and that's what hockey is all about. Not old men in fancy suits who think hockey is a rich guys country club, or a private school where they teach the rich kids that they're better than everyone when really they're just more privileged.

Get st Patrick back, make him the GM. Pres is a business mans job, GM is a hockey mans job.

Make it right and F*** this we're to good for the real stars, real heros, attitude that has been ruining this team for the last 25 years.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I'd be all for hiring Lou Lamoriello as President of Hockey Operations and Mark Hunter as Asst. GM and head of scouting. Then when Lou whacks MB, Hunter could take over.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't Roy anywhere close to this team. He is a hot mess most of the time and his actual hockey knowledge is highly overrated. Roy being Roy he would not be able to stop at being president and would make himself GM or have a puppet GM and insert himself in all player decisions. A HUGE no to Roy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was in full control of the Ramparts due to being an owner. That’s his team. Even if he was a president here, he wouldn’t have close to the control he has with the Ramparts. He left Colorado over this. He wanted things his way and when he didn’t get his way, he just quit.

Yes, One of the reasons I heard is he wanted Sakic to go sign Raduluv and Sakic declined. Can you blame Roy for wanted better players so they can win hockey games? If Roy was our president, do you think he lets Radulov walk or let the Subban trade happen? I think he tells Bergevin to make it happen and he would not be afraid to go against the grain in order to make the right decision for the organization. Like I said, I understand his reputation just like you and everyone else. The question is why do we assume he will do a bad job when he clearly is a winner and has won when given the opportunity to go in the direction he wants to?

Wait, lets go hire a "nice guy/passive guy" to be our President. Quintal, He's a sure winner right? I choose to bring in guys who know what it takes to win because they have won and were a big part of the reasons why their team won.

You are correct, he was the Coach/GM/Owner because he was the Owner of the team. lol. According to all the reasons I am hearing to not have him part of the Habs, I'm sure he did a terrible job with the Rampart right? WRONG!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't Roy anywhere close to this team. He is a hot mess most of the time and his actual hockey knowledge is highly overrated. Roy being Roy he would not be able to stop at being president and would make himself GM or have a puppet GM and insert himself in all player decisions. A HUGE no to Roy.

Just like always... People feel the need to go of the rails and exaggerate to astronomical levels. The bolded part is ridiculous!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Basically, yeah. It's a good position to learn the ins & outs of the NHL. A lot of people had held that role & went on to front office jobs.

Basically yeah. You learn a lot in that position about the ins & outs in the NHL. You meet the power players, talk to GMs & learn the various rules & regulations.

Shanahan isn't the only one to jump to a front office from that position just the most recent.

Shanahan is a proven winner. Quintal is not. Assuming Quintal will do what Shanahan can do in a President role because they were both "director of Player Safety" is not reasonable. One guy was over qualified while the other is probable in a good role and will top out in that role.

If both were available at the same time... Who would you hire? Shanahan... night and day. Why? Not because they learned the NHL rules about what is involved to be a director of player safety. Because one is a proven winner and knows what it takes to win.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Just like always... People feel the need to go of the rails and exaggerate to astronomical levels. The bolded part is ridiculous!
He is highly overrated and is a hot mess so often with that temper of his. He is not an astute hockey mind. Do you have any examples that show him to be a great hockey mind that would help make the Montreal Canadiens a better team? Do you seriously think as president he would stay out of the GMs office and let said GM make the moves he sees fit?

People like Roy because of the history he has with the organization but there has been too much nepotism with this team and it's time to bring new blood in and not recycle the existing blood.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Shanahan is a proven winner. Quintal is not. Assuming Quintal will do what Shanahan can do in a President role because they were both "director of Player Safety" is not reasonable. One guy was over qualified while the other is probable in a good role and will top out in that role.

If both were available at the same time... Who would you hire? Shanahan... night and day. Why? Not because they learned the NHL rules about what is involved to be a director of player safety. Because one is a proven winner and knows what it takes to win.

And this is ridiculous, just because a player won a Cup etc. does not mean he will know what to do as a coach/GM. Gretzky won a bunch of Cups and other international medals but sucked as a coach. Terrible argument.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is highly overrated and is a hot mess so often with that temper of his. He is not an astute hockey mind. Do you have any examples that show him to be a great hockey mind that would help make the Montreal Canadiens a better team? Do you seriously think as president he would stay out of the GMs office and let said GM make the moves he sees fit?

People like Roy because of the history he has with the organization but there has been too much nepotism with this team and it's time to bring new blood in and not recycle the existing blood.

If you were correct, he would of made a mess of the Rampart. He did not and he was very successful. I remember people saying the same things when the Avs hired him as coach and he did very well as a coach IMO. Yeah, we got the Roy temper here and there but did that result in his teams losing? See my point?

Personally, I am ok with passion and a will to win. It's what this organization needs at this stage. I would show a leap of faith and hire him as our President.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And this is ridiculous, just because a player won a Cup etc. does not mean he will know what to do as a coach/GM. Gretzky won a bunch of Cups and other international medals but sucked as a coach. Terrible argument.

Gretzky was not a very good coach, yes I agree with this. However, Roy was a good coach. Did Gretzky win a memorial cup as a Coach/GM/Owner in the CHL?

The only terrible thing going on here is how you are throwing what Roy has accomplished under the bus

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
lol waat?

Why not? He has GM experience at junior and minor league levels, scouting experience and has a degree in sports management (this being the most important thing to me, education). He's young but not Chayka young. He comes from a hockey management family background. On paper, without doing extensive research, he's probably my second ideal candidate.

I don't think he speaks French, so we'd have to get a mouthpiece to go with him. I think him and BriseBois in a GM and President capacity would give us a front office that would be one of the brightest and most promising in the league.

And I will end this post with #NoRoy

Reactions: ArsHabs

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Gretzky was not a very good coach, yes I agree with this. However, Roy was a good coach. Did Gretzky win a memorial cup as a Coach/GM/Owner in the CHL?

The only terrible thing going on here is how you are throwing what Roy has accomplished under the bus

You see the thing with his junior wins is that he had complete and total control which he would not get in the NHL. Heck he left the Avs because he could play nicely with Sakic who was his boss. There is a big difference between the NHL and the QMJHL and winning at the lower level, while nice, is not the same as guiding an NHL team to the Cup.

Maybe Roy would work but I doubt it unless he had complete control and even then I don't trust his ability to properly judge talent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we don't hire Roy, Some team will in the future. He will be successful and many of you will say we should of hired him when we had a chance because you are all about hindsight opinions. The Quebec Nordiques will hire Roy and win a cup before we do FFS!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If we don't hire Roy, Some team will in the future. He will be successful and many of you will say we should of hired him when we had a chance because you are all about hindsight opinions. The Quebec Nordiques will hire Roy and win a cup before we do FFS!
Or another team will hire him and he won't be successful.

Then what?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You see the thing with his junior wins is that he had complete and total control which he would not get in the NHL. Heck he left the Avs because he could play nicely with Sakic who was his boss. There is a big difference between the NHL and the QMJHL and winning at the lower level, while nice, is not the same as guiding an NHL team to the Cup.

Maybe Roy would work but I doubt it unless he had complete control and even then I don't trust his ability to properly judge talent.

Correct. I prefer to give him the President role so he has nobody in his way to accomplish his vision of winning a Cup for us. I don't want him to play nice. I want him to give people a kick in the ass and do their jobs according to the business model he sets up.

What the hell has Sakic done in 4 years? The Avs are still in rebuild mode for several years to come

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or another team will hire him and he won't be successful.

Then what?

Possibly yes. But Roy has a track record and it's not all about "losing his temper". His track record is winning Cups! As a Player, coach, GM, and Owner. He deserves a shot IMO and I would love for him to be our Shanahan.

Roy has no patience for stupid passive people like Corey and Sakic. It's time someone gave him a shot in a management role so he is not forced to do something he knows will not result in wins

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Possibly yes. But Roy has a track record and it's not all about "losing his temper". His track record is winning Cups! As a Player, coach, GM, and Owner. He deserves a shot IMO and I would love for him to be our Shanahan.

Roy has no patience for stupid passive people like Corey and Sakic. It's time someone gave him a shot in a management role so he is not forced to do something he knows will not result in wins
Track record of winning Cups as a coach, GM and owner? Sorry, what?

As was mentioned before, the Memorial Cup != Stanley Cup

Roy has accomplished exactly nothing at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad