Molson Should fire himself and hire Roy as President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It is exactly what should be done. But won't happen.

Roy ripped a door from its hinges in a fit of rage when he was in Colorado. His temper is legendary. It's what made him competitive & a winner. I'm not sure that makes him a good executive.

I like the Quintal as President idea & Brisebois as G.M.

Doubt it happens.

Reactions: sandviper

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy ripped a door from its hinges in a fit of rage when he was in Colorado. His temper is legendary. It's what made him competitive & a winner. I'm not sure that makes him a good executive.

Doubt it happens.

What did the teams do when Roy left? They sucked! What did the teams do when Roy came into the picture, they won! See a trend here? Yeah, he has a temper because he wants to win. I would love to work with someone like this.

So, maybe you have to consider that Roy's hands are tied and giving him the highest position, he gets his vision accomplished. Look at how successful he was in the Q as Coach/GM/Owner. He had no one in his way ;)

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Roy would start off as the President. Next thing you know, he's the President and GM. A little while later he'd become President, GM, and Head Coach. :laugh:

Reactions: Roke

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Doubt it happens.

I hate the idea of Quintal as President. What the hell has he done to deserve a President title? Director of player safety? Shanahan >>> Quintal.

- Hey Quintal: What have you accomplished beyond your player career that makes you a good candidate to be the next President of the Montreal Canadians?

- Quintal's Answer: Well, I am director or player safety in the NHL and the guy who had the last position is now the President of the Leafs. So... you know :) ;) ;) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: habdynasty

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He wasn't an owner was he?
He was president and he hired Houle as his puppet. There are all kinds of other rumours which I won't get into.

As with all things there's some good and bad, but I consider him to be a dumbass.

As for Roy, many have clamoured for him over the years. I'm not one of them. I think he'd be a disaster. I also think it's inevitable that we'll hire him. And if/when we do, I will do what I always do when these kinds of things happen... hope for the best and expect the worst.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was president and he hired Houle as his puppet. There are all kinds of other rumours which I won't get into.

As with all things there's some good and bad, but I consider him to be a dumbass.

At the time I was young and knew he was president but we had a good GM in Savard. So Corey didn't have to do much at that point. However that story changed once Savard was gone.

A good President might of prevented both the Roy and Subban trade to be honest. If we had a decent President, maybe he lets the dust settle and we convince Roy to stay

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Roy has to much passion. The idea of him scares me a little for that reason. I wouldn’t start crying about it if something like this did happen however. Bergevin along with the Therrien era coaches should be fired on the spot as well. Then start cleaning up the scouting team slowly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy has to much passion. The idea of him scares me a little for that reason. I wouldn’t start crying about it if something like this did happen however. Bergevin along with the Therrien era coaches should be fired on the spot as well. Then start cleaning up the scouting team slowly.

I think we would all agree to the risk of Roy at President due to his passion to win and history of a loose cannon. Personally, I thought about it and I think he fits. For some strange reason, I want him part of our team and we do need a president. Bergevin would not be happy about this move but that is not his choice. Support Bergevin or not, his days are numbered at this point. There is way too much disconnect with the majority of the fan base and it can't and should not be ignored.

I don't know why we see a passive person as a better person in a president role? I rather have someone at the top I know is a winner and has won several accomplishments throughout his career and life. Roy understands Montreal and I think he would do good and bring a certain amount of energy and will to win with accountably.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think we would all agree to the risk of Roy at President due to his passion to win and history of a loose cannon. Personally, I thought about it and I think he fits. For some strange reason, I want him part of our team and we do need a president. Bergevin would not be happy about this move but that is not his choice. Support Bergevin or not, his days are numbered at this point. There is way too much disconnect with the majority of the fan base and it can't and should not be ignored.

I don't know why we see a passive person as a better person in a president role? I rather have someone at the top I know is a winner and has won several accomplishments throughout his career and life. Roy understands Montreal and I think he would do good and bring a certain amount of energy and will to win with accountably.

It’s not so much about wanting someone more passive. It’s the fact that Roy tends to make rash decisions in the moment. We saw it many times when he was a player and again when he was a coach. He has all the qualities you would want in a president but he also has some that make you want to stay well clear. What id be worried about is him causing dysfunction in certain situations as he’s a bit of a bull in a china shop.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s not so much about wanting someone more passive. It’s the fact that Roy tends to make rash decisions in the moment. We saw it many times when he was a player and again when he was a coach. He has all the qualities you would want in a president but he also has some that make you want to stay well clear. What id be worried about is him causing dysfunction in certain situations as he’s a bit of a bull in a china shop.

What rash decisions did he make in the moment when he was Coach/GM/Owner of the Ramparts? I understand what you are talking about as it's a common labeling Roy gets. However, I would like to see the in the moment decisions where it did not work out in favor of the team?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you think he would lessen or perhaps increase the all-encompassing "pressure" to win in the Habs organization?

I don't think he does much at first. Really, the first thing he does is evaluate Bergevin and figure out if he is his guy or not. If he fires Bergevin, he finds his guy that wants to work with him. They come up with a business model and proceed.

Pressure to win comes from the media and fans. Not from the management. Management should be all about long term planing and going all in at the right moment. Having a guy like Roy as President is helpful with long term strategic planing and maybe blocking a PK trade ;). He was a superstar and knows how superstars should be treated. That is key

Molson needs to realize that him as president does not work. The minute he fires Bergevin, all eyes are on him and he is the next accountable one. He is tied to success/failure and Owners should not be this involved IMO. Make the right move Molson and find yourself a President who can be a true leader.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What rash decisions did he make in the moment when he was Coach/GM/Owner of the Ramparts? I understand what you are talking about as it's a common labeling Roy gets. However, I would like to see the in the moment decisions where it did not work out in favor of the team?

He was in full control of the Ramparts due to being an owner. That’s his team. Even if he was a president here, he wouldn’t have close to the control he has with the Ramparts. He left Colorado over this. He wanted things his way and when he didn’t get his way, he just quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad