Molson Should fire himself and hire Roy as President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Was Lowe a Coach/GM/Owner of a CHL junior team where he lead them to a memorial cup? Hiring a guy like Lowe is like hiring a guy like Quintal

Well, Gretzky, the greatest winner in NHL history, was an (part) owner, coach and head of hockey operations of an NHL club and that went nowhere.

Anyhow, winners and guys with fire and passion are great, but those can't be the main criteria. It works in a business where the operating environment is in a state of growth and development (look at Dana White and mixed martial arts) but the Canadiens' growth isn't rocketing like MMA was in the late 2000's.

I don't think Quintal is a great option either, BUT, I don't mind him if we pair him with a management educated individual (with experience) like BriseBois or Dubas. I would prefer both BriseBois and Dubas, but if Quintal is in the picture, then either of those guys as GM and Quintal as president works for me. The key is Quintal has connections around the league and a higher-level of management experience than Roy.

In my opinion, Roy won't work with BriseBois or Dubas. Those two are well-spoken, educated and intelligent. Not saying Roy is an ignorant oaf, but that temper and his at times, lack of filter will likely conflict with either of those two, especially if Roy is president which is a higher position of power than GM.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kevin Lowe was GM of the Oilers when they went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Did you know that?

Yes I was aware. Lowe was named GM in 2000 after Sather left for the Rangers. Oilers then lived on what Sather built for a few years and we quickly learned how bad Lowe was after that. Like I said, hiring Lowe would be similar to hiring Quintal.

Roy has way more accomplishments today vs what Lowe had when he was named Oilers GM!

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Roy would f***ing eats Bergevin. So I'm all in for that.

Then, he must hire Brisebois as the new GM.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My friend and I have some great ideas

8FHGQbJ.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Track record of winning Cups as a coach, GM and owner? Sorry, what?

As was mentioned before, the Memorial Cup != Stanley Cup

Roy has accomplished exactly nothing at the NHL level.

Memorial CUP! Yeah, it's not a Stanley Cup but it shows us what he can do when in charge. If we can have faith in Bergevin as a rookie GM, we can have faith in Roy. Like I said before, I realize how against the grain a decision like this is but why do we think he would do a bad job because he has a temper and passion to win? I think this is over sighted at who he is as a person and what he has accomplished player, coach, and GM/Owner of a QMJHL team where he bought a team, moved it to Quebec and brought them a Memorial cup and a very competitive team for several years.

What has the Rempart done since Roy has not been involved? Think about this

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Was Lowe a Coach/GM/Owner of a CHL junior team where he lead them to a memorial cup? Hiring a guy like Lowe is like hiring a guy like Quintal

Lol how many GM’s of junior teams that won the Memorial Cup actually did something?

I could name you a lot of players that won Cups that were shit managers (including Roy himself in Colorado)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol how many GM’s of junior teams that won the Memorial Cup actually did something?

I could name you a lot of players that won Cups that were **** managers (including Roy himself in Colorado)

Get it right... Coach/GM/Owner. He wasn't just GM. I question your motives at just talking about him as a GM.

Buying a team, moving them to Quebec, and building a very competitive team year after year with a memorial cup championship is a great sample size at what he can do. And what has the Rampart done without him?

Last edited by a moderator:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yes I was aware. Lowe was named GM in 2000 after Sather left for the Rangers. Oilers then lived on what Sather built for a few years and we quickly learned how bad Lowe was after that. Like I said, hiring Lowe would be similar to hiring Quintal.

Roy has way more accomplishments today vs what Lowe had when he was named Oilers GM!

Today Kevin Lowe has much more achievement at the NHL level than Roy did as a GM. Kevin Lowe would be such an amazing acquisition for our hockey club. Because he ''knows what it takes to win.''

Or, perhaps we can divorce ourselves of the silly notion that ''knowing what it takes to win'' and ''being a winner'' are things that matter. Maybe let's not try to make that square peg fit that particular round hole.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Today Kevin Lowe has much more achievement at the NHL level than Roy did as a GM. Kevin Lowe would be such an amazing acquisition for our hockey club. Because he ''knows what it takes to win.''

Or, perhaps we can divorce ourselves of the silly notion that ''knowing what it takes to win'' and ''being a winner'' are things that matter. Maybe let's not try to make that square peg fit that particular round hole.

If Lowe was so smart... he would of tried to block the Hall trade ;)

What has Lowe done to brag about? The Oilers management might ruin that lottery pick win if they are not careful (McDavid)

Here is another guy... Nicholson. What a great hockey mind this guy is eh. He's calm and a very nice person. The Oilers brilliant management hired Chiarelli to lead them to the promise land.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Correct. I prefer to give him the President role so he has nobody in his way to accomplish his vision of winning a Cup for us. I don't want him to play nice. I want him to give people a kick in the ass and do their jobs according to the business model he sets up.

What the hell has Sakic done in 4 years? The Avs are still in rebuild mode for several years to come
Except you can't have a President that meddles in the GMs affaires. All it does is cause problems.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

What has Lowe done to brag about? The Oilers management might ruin that lottery pick win if they are not careful (McDavid)

Here is another guy... Nicholson. What a great hockey mind this guy is eh. He's calm and a very nice person. The Oilers brilliant management hired Chiarelli to lead them to the promise land.
Well going by your logic, Chiarelli knows what it takes to win, he does have a Cup as GM of the Bruins does he not?

Reactions: Le Tricolore

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Chiarelli knows what it takes to win. He won a stanley cup. He even won it as a GM of an honest to goodness NHL team. He must therefore be a great GM who we would be lucky to have in our organization. Because ''he knows what it takes to win.'' So does low. Boy, ''knowing what it takes to win'' sure does seem to be important. I'm glad you brought it to our attention.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except you can't have a President that meddles in the GMs affaires. All it does is cause problems.

Well, if the GM makes a stupid move (example... Trading Subban), then yeah, you SHOULD have a President to come in and reject it. Roy would not have a problem with making the right decision and stepping on peoples shoes in the process. If you are the type to get upset that your shoes are dirty because of a stupid move, then you need to go because your focus is personal vs with the team.

What do you want? A bunch of nice people in suits running our team with no Cup or a person who has passion to win and will do what it takes to win and has a track record at building a winner?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well going by your logic, Chiarelli knows what it takes to win, he does have a Cup as GM of the Bruins does he not?

I guess that's what fooled the Oilers eh? Chai has some of the worse trades in NHL history. Seguin, Hall, Eberle. I wasn't on these boards when the Oilers hired him but I did say it was a terrible guy to hire to my friends. I was arguing this with many Oilers fans back when (for whatever that's worth to you)

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Well, if the GM makes a stupid move (example... Trading Subban), then yeah, you SHOULD have a President to come in and reject it. Roy would not have a problem with making the right decision and stepping on peoples shoes in the process.
That situation you describe is untenable. A President who can and does veto individual trades from his GM is acting as a co-GM, if not the effective GM. At that point, either the GM should resign or the President should terminate him (or the President should resign). The President & GM need to be on the same page; if they're not, they can't work effectively together.

Anyway, I'm a "No" on Roy in any capacity with the organization. Too ego-centric, too hot-headed, and frankly I'm sick & tired of alumni in any capacity being tapped for jobs in the organization. The org needs a top-to-bottom overhaul of its entire culture, its entire method of running hockey operations. We need outsiders with no ties to the past to come in & have a clean start.

But eventually Molson will want a new face, so like LG, I'm expecting it will happen someday and likely be a trainwreck.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well, if the GM makes a stupid move (example... Trading Subban), then yeah, you SHOULD have a President to come in and reject it. Roy would not have a problem with making the right decision and stepping on peoples shoes in the process. If you are the type to get upset that your shoes are dirty because of a stupid move, then you need to go because your focus is personal vs with the team.

What do you want? A bunch of nice people in suits running our team with no Cup or a person who has passion to win and will do what it takes to win and has a track record at building a winner?

Except that's not how management works in the NHL or any pro sports league. You cannot have a GM stepping on a coaches turf telling him who to play just like you can't have a president/owner step on a GMs turf unless that GM is just a figurehead. GMs only check with the president/owner before a trade if there are significant cap implications most of the time.

To be honest I don't think Roy would have stopped Subban, I see Weber as his type of player and he would have been onboard for that move.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That situation you describe is untenable. A President who can and does veto individual trades from his GM is acting as a co-GM, if not the effective GM. At that point, either the GM should resign or the President should terminate him (or the President should resign). The President & GM need to be on the same page; if they're not, they can't work effectively together.

Anyway, I'm a "No" on Roy in any capacity with the organization. Too ego-centric, too hot-headed, and frankly I'm sick & tired of alumni in any capacity being tapped for jobs in the organization. The org needs a top-to-bottom overhaul of its entire culture, its entire method of running hockey operations. We need outsiders with no ties to the past to come in & have a clean start.

But eventually Molson will want a new face, so like LG, I'm expecting it will happen someday and likely be a trainwreck.

A President steps in when they have to. Just like when a GM steps in about a coaching decision when they have to. It works from top down. Like I said, if you are the type to get upset because your shoes are dirty due to a bad decision, you are too focused on personal issues vs team goals.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except that's not how management works in the NHL or any pro sports league. You cannot have a GM stepping on a coaches turf telling him who to play just like you can't have a president/owner step on a GMs turf unless that GM is just a figurehead. GMs only check with the president/owner before a trade if there are significant cap implications most of the time.

To be honest I don't think Roy would have stopped Subban, I see Weber as his type of player and he would have been onboard for that move.

You are talking about day to day decisions and acting like Roy will be involved in every decision from top down. I don't believe he is that stupid or that much of a control freak but I guess you do. That is where we disagree.

As far as Roy stopping the Subban trade. Nobody knows. The point is Roy understands superstar players and what they mean to the team. Molson does not. I do think Roy stops that trade but that is my opinion

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Get it right... Coach/GM/Owner. He wasn't just GM. I question your motives at just talking about him as a GM.

Buying a team, moving them to Quebec, and building a very competitive team year after year with a memorial cup championship is a great sample size at what he can do. And what has the Rampart done without him?

It's not a great sample size because it's the QMJHL, not the NHL. I prefer to see his sample size in the NHL.

Now name me what has he done in the NHL to warrant being the president of the Habs? Nothing.

Being a good GM/coach in the QMJHL does not mean success in the NHL level. Being a great NHL player does not mean success in NHL management.

His sample size in Colorado is disturbing. Hot head calling players out, terrible years, quitting on the team a month away from training camp. You can't say it's all Sakic's fault, as Roy had a say in personnel decisions for the majority of his tenure. He rode a career year for Varmalov in 2014 (with one of the worst possession teams in the league) to the playoffs and then was terrible his final two years before quitting a month before camp.

He was a hot head as a player, having fights with teammates in between periods, beating his wife, quitting on the Habs in 1995 after a feud with the coach.

Your argument for Roy as President is LOOK AT HIS QMJHL RECORD, LOOK AT HOW MANY CUPS AS PLAYERS. It means literally NOTHING.

Reactions: Roke

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
You cannot have a GM stepping on a coaches turf telling him who to play just like you can't have a president/owner step on a GMs turf unless that GM is just a figurehead.
That said, there's a story I read about when Pat Kane started with the Blackhawks; on opening night of his rookie season, then-coach Denis Savard didn't insert him into the lineup. Then-GM Dale Tallon marched down to Savard upon seeing the lineup and demanded an explanation. Savard spouted a "He's just not ready" kind of cliche, and an unsatisfied Tallon ordered Savard to play Kane. Kane played. Savard was gone as coach a year later.

So.. you can have the superior overruling the subordinate, but chances are that the subordinate's days are numbered when it happens.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That said, there's a story I read about when Pat Kane started with the Blackhawks; on opening night of his rookie season, then-coach Denis Savard didn't insert him into the lineup. Then-GM Dale Tallon marched down to Savard upon seeing the lineup and demanded an explanation. Savard spouted a "He's just not ready" kind of cliche, and an unsatisfied Tallon ordered Savard to play Kane. Kane played. Savard was gone as coach a year later.

So.. you can have the superior overruling the subordinate, but chances are that the subordinate's days are numbered when it happens.

I think Roy would understand how to treat players like Subban & Galchenyuk and he would ensure they are treated the right way or else. Just like how the Blackhawks treated Kane.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How is it BS?

Harry brought up some great points, and you reply just by saying he's wrong.

Please elaborate on why you think he's wrong.

Already said it in previous post... A guy who buys a team, moves it to Quebec, and build a year after year contender and also brings a Memorial cup is a very good accomplishment (especially when he was Coach/GM/Ownwer). It shows what he can do when in charge. Yeah, it's the Q but there are many cases where teams hire good people who accomplished good things in the Q!

Roy was a successful NHL coach and he wants to be in management in the NHL. I say we should give him a shot before someone else does. Many people with less credentials get opportunity. I don't see why Roy has to be the exception.

So this is my reasons why I think it's BS to say "it literally means nothing". Don't you think I brought up some great points too? Or because you have a different opinion, you don't think it's a good point? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad