Molson Should fire himself and hire Roy as President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Roy ran a pretty successful QMJHL team as Coach/GM/Owner and I think his passion to win and hockey knowledge would be a good candidate.

- Roy is well respected from the fan base and I am not sure who else we could hire as President that would do a better job and understand the city of Montreal and the pressure of expectations to win

- Roy is known to be short tempered but I think it has a lot to do with passion to win. The guy will bring a volt of energy right at the top of our organization. Who would you be afraid to make a mistake for? Roy or Molson? Roy will hold people accountable and that's what we need

- Let Roy decide if Bergevin stays or goes. The deal I would make is he is not allowed to be permanent GM if he fires Bergevin. Being the GM on an interim basis while he searches for a new GM is acceptable.

Fire away! ;)

Reactions: GTKRWN and PaulD

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Wait until the offseason, and sway Kyle Dubas and Julien BriseBois to fill in the president and GM roles. I don't think Dubas speaks French, but I think it's ok if BriseBois is the mouthpiece.

While we're at it, get Dominique Ducharme as the Laval coach.

Wouldn't be a bad time to look for some new scouting staff.

Back on topic, big NO to Roy. If we insist on a former Hab, I'd be fine with Stephane Quintal. At least he has management experience.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wait until the offseason, and sway Kyle Dubas and Julien BriseBois to fill in the president and GM roles. I don't think Dubas speaks French, but I think it's ok if BriseBois is the mouthpiece.

Back on topic, big NO to Roy. If we insist on a former Hab, I'd be fine with Stephane Quintal. At least he has management experience.

Roy >>> Quintal IMO. Quintal is another Bergevin.

I wouldn't mind a Roy (President) - Brisebois (GM) - Ducharme (Coach) combination. Boy oh Boy, Molson would have to get these guys for cheap due to getting rid of Bergevin/Julien's contract while adding Roy's salary. I guess we saved a bit this year will all the cap space we have so that helps ;)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Why not, the Bruins have not done bad at all since hiring Neely

Was Neely hotheaded and impetuous as a coach or GM? I don’t recall that track record. His record as a player is c9mpletely irrelevant to being an executive in my opinion.

GMs in major junior don’t need to be patient due to the constant cycle of talent. Productive veterans are always available from failing teams. It may even be an asset to be impatient.

Roy doesn’t seem to work well with others. I think he would potentially undermine a coach or GM at first opportunity.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Roy >>> Quintal IMO. Quintal is another Bergevin.

I wouldn't mind a Roy (President) - Brisebois (GM) - Ducharme (Coach) combination. Boy oh Boy, Molson would have to get these guys for cheap due to getting rid of Bergevin/Julien's contract while adding Roy's salary. I guess we saved a bit this year will all the cap space we have so that helps ;)

Yeah, Quintal is not my first choice, but unless Roy suddenly learned how to be much more civil and professional and far less emotional behind the mic, he isn’t the type of guy you want to be the face of the team in this market.

Now, if we really do consider Roy, I’d put him as GM and BriseBois as president. I like Roy’s passion and desire to win but he needs somebody to keep him in check.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What Dubas has on his resume that BriseBois doesn't have, like, ten times better?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

just call him Kyle Dubois and give him a script to read off of

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
No, Roy is completely unsuited to be President. He doesn't have the the right temperament to be the hands-off overseer the position requires and he has no experience running a modern business or modern sports business.

The Habs need to completely modernize the way their hockey operations is run along the lines of what has been going on in baseball and basketball for years. Decision-making at all levels needs to integrate sports science, analytics, and a modern scouting philosophy and there's no evidence Roy is capable of transforming that side of the business.

The next President of the Habs should be a guy with a basketball or baseball management background. 2012 was a clear opportunity to get a first-mover advantage in the NHL by making sports science and analytics a big part of the way the team was run but they hired a Roy-esque figure in Bergevin who lacks the experience and education to carry it out. There's still an opportunity there since I don't think teams who even use analytics or sports science do it well from top-to-bottom, though there's not as big of an edge to be gained as there was 5 years ago.

Basketball/Baseball guy for President with a smart, modern hockey guy like Julien Brisebois or Kyle Dubas in the GM chair running things day-to-day and making the hockey decisions.

Reactions: optimus2861

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
What Dubas has on his resume that BriseBois doesn't have, like, ten times better?

Both are fine but I want Molson to hire a proper President (not Roy) and that person will interview both and decide who is better solely on hockey and not on language. No more f***ing restrictions.

Reactions: BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
Yes let's hire an egotistical hothead who already bolted on the team once.

What could possibly go wrong?

.... Like Dryden in the 70's (1973-74) who walked away for a whole season because he was not satisfied with his contract ? Egoistical hothead ? Or people with principles ?

Reactions: Price is Wright

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
.... Like Dryden in the 70's (1973-74) who walked away for a whole season because he was not satisfied with his contract ? Egoistical hothead ? Or people with principles ?

Oh, is Roy getting his MBA during his time off? :sarcasm:

Anyhow, I will never question Roy's passion and will to win, but if you believe they ditched a guy like Subban for being a distraction... going with Roy would be quite ironic.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You seriously have the worst ideas for this franchise.

- Keep Bergevin, not his fault
- Hire Roy as President.

Do you even want this team to succeed?

- I said I would keep Bergevin and I also said we are on a critical path with him. Several times now. Give your head a shake

- I said we need to hire a new President before we fire our GM. Several times now. Give your head a shake again.

- Today, I am saying Molson should fire himself and hire Roy. I want Roy part of our organization again. I love what he brings to the table and I think he could be a very good President for us for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on here in a while. A contract dispute where a guy leaves to go to school is a hell of a lot different than storming off in the MIDDLE OF A DAMN GAME!

One is a person with principles and the other is a freaking hothead. It shouldn't be hard to distinguish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad