NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Really like Iginla, Dickinson, Catton and Buium for the 7th.

Not really a fan of Lindstrom or Parekh.
Best case for me is chabot big bounce back year and we draft buium. We trade chabot for something not terrible and buium steps in to dominate on the second pair

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
He's actually a better prospect than his father going into his draft.
The current scenario with Iginla is intriguing.

With Ottawa picking at 7 and Calgary at 9, if there is interest in Iginla from Calgary (and you have to think that there would be, all things considered), Staois should be keeping the lines of communication open with Flames GM Craig Conroy (former linemate of Jarome).

Ottawa may have genuine interest in Iginla themselves at 7 but they should be putting it out there in the media that they really like Iginla. This might help push Calgary to trade up to 7 to get their guy.

We go back to 9, get something out of it from Calgary (another draft pick/prospect) and then we can still draft a player, who is in our top 10 list (someone like Yakemchuk for example).

Win-Win.

Reactions: senswon

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I thought our drafting had been terrible, but when I go back and look at every draft since 2017, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. It is very inconsistent. They hit homeruns with the top 5 picks they kept and arguably got 3 "1st overall" tier talents in Brady, Stutzle, and Sanderson. Those three aren't McDavid, but they certainly have proven to have more value than your typical 3/4/5 overall picks.

Looking at the five year period between 2017-2021, they ended up with Batherson, Formenton, Brady, Pinto, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Greig. Formenton is obviously gone, but that's not their doing. Then in terms of talent that looks like they might be something, or at least contribute in a smaller role on an NHL roster they have JBD, Sogaard, Kleven, Ostapchuk, and Kastelik. There might be someone else, but I don't follow it close enough.

That's far from a homerun pool of talent, but it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to look like. Especially keeping in mind the nature of the 2021 draft and especially if the Senators didn't devoted as much resources to scouting that year relative to other teams.

Trading away so many 1st/2nd round picks, and not being able to leverage their cap space to get more during the rebuild is what hurt them just as much as inconsistent drafting in the first two rounds.

I also have a Senspiracy theory that after we missed out on Oettinger, we took Bowers because we knew Sakic really liked him, and we were trying to trade for Duchene, but I will save that ofr another day. Don't want to upset Loach too much today.

I am overall satisfied with our drafting outside of the first round under Dorion but outside of 2020 and Tkachuk, our first round overall haul has been TERRIBLE for a team that has been rebuilding pretty much all the way.

And that's the thing, it's known that GMs have more impact on first round picks but for other rounds, it's the scouting department's call... Maybe Dorion was lucky that Trent Mann was there all the way (Bryan Murray hire in 2011)

I don't think they give up anything this year. I do hope they push back. It would great if they could get the NHL to change their stance but I doubt they do. Vegas would push the other way equally hard.

Why is GN even talking about it? It's absolutely useless since it would be the dumbest idea of all time... Of course you don't forfeit a 7th overall pick lol. You move your ass big time and find a way to pick as late as possible in one of the next 2 drafts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Carter Yakemchuk RD ... :thumbu::laugh:

There is absolutely no chance Buium drops that far. I guarantee it, he's going to be a top 6 pick. 50 points in 42 games as a freshman d. Didnt get scored on his last 8 games of the season which were all playoff and elmination games. He was better than Hutton at the WJC isnt tiny and is a year younger.
Utah maybe???
there is no other option, we have only dickinson-silayev-buium and parekh

hope parekh - risky pick but ,his offensive skills is just divine.
Yakemchuk RD

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Best case for me is chabot big bounce back year and we draft buium. We trade chabot for something not terrible and buium steps in to dominate on the second pair

There is absolutely no chance Buium drops that far. I guarantee it, he's going to be a top 6 pick. 50 points in 42 games as a freshman d. Didnt get scored on his last 8 games of the season which were all playoff and elmination games. He was better than Hutton at the WJC isnt tiny and is a year younger.
McKenzie list has him 8. His list is Usually close to what goes down.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

With Ottawa picking at 7 and Calgary at 9, if there is interest in Iginla from Calgary (and you have to think that there would be, all things considered), Staois should be keeping the lines of communication open with Flames GM Craig Conroy (former linemate of Jarome).

Ottawa may have genuine interest in Iginla themselves at 7 but they should be putting it out there in the media that they really like Iginla. This might help push Calgary to trade up to 7 to get their guy.

We go back to 9, get something out of it from Calgary (another draft pick/prospect) and then we can still draft a player, who is in our top 10 list (someone like Yakemchuk for example).

Win-Win.
Yes. The pick should be 2026 they got from Vegas. Vegas misses the playoffs, wins the lottery and we draft that crazy good kid Mcgavin or whatever his name is, with thier pick....in the draft that they made us lose a pick. Perfect. Let's just get it done.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
McKenzie list has him 8. His list is Usually close to what goes down.
Willing to bet whatever you want he's going higher than 8

Utah maybe???
Could see him top 3.

Win-Win.
Would like to see that approach if their top 2 guys on their list are there and ahead of Iginla.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Willing to bet whatever you want he's going higher than 8

Could see him top 3.

Would like to see that approach if their top 2 guys on their list are there and ahead of Iginla.
I don’t feel that strongly. If he’s there I hope we pick him. Maybe we do t even have him that high

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
How good is the back end of the draft, where we have bostons pick
Aside from Celebrini being a stronger than average 1OA this draft is talked about as on the weak side. But there looks to be an unusual amount of RDs available in the late 1st range which works out well for the Sens. I'm down with using a late 1st to draft for positional need a bit given how hard can be to find capable RD.

Reactions: Sensators

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Sennecke or Tij would be old regime classic draft year risers. Buium and Levshunov probably as well.

I don’t think anyone knows how this new regime is going to guide the scouting team or what Staios’s vision is for what the team needs to be successful. Makes the draft that much more exciting!

Who doesn’t love a wildcard!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Another Mock.
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
11. Yakemchuk

I am a fan of Parekh. He's fun to watch. but I would be surprised if Ottawa took him at 7 over Dickinson or Yakemchuk. For sure there are some teams that really are missing that element would. After watching the mostly one dimensional Chabot and Chychrun through the year i think they go in another direction. If Ottawa plans to revamp a lot of their D ..they could.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Another Mock.
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
11. Yakemchuk

I am a fan of Parekh. He's fun to watch. but I would be surprised if Ottawa took him at 7 over Dickinson or Yakemchuk. For sure there are some teams that really are missing that element would. After watching the mostly one dimensional Chabot and Chychrun through the year i think they go in another direction. If Ottawa plans to revamp a lot of their D ..they could.

The thing is that Chabot and Chychrun are just not good enough. Like we are missing that elite offensive defenceman element, cuz they aren't it.

They have mediocre hockey sense compared to their physical tools, so they can't actually run a team from the backend.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Another Mock.
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
11. Yakemchuk

I really want to like Parekh at 7, but I'm struggling to get there. He's obviously extremely talented and the production is incredible, but the defensive side of his game is frightening.

It seems to go beyond the normal issues you'd expect a prospect like him to have to work on. He looks like a player who just doesn't care enough. There are way too many clips from this season where he's just not trying back there at all, which makes you question the mental makeup of the player. Where's the compete? Where's the pride?

Take those questions, and add in the fact that he's not that big and he's not a Karlsson/Makar/Hughes level skater, and he starts to look like a prospect who might be a really productive NHLer, but even if he is, how far can you go if he's one of your best players?

We see extreme examples of this in basketball with guys like Trae Young. Exceptionally talented offensive player, but such a liability on defence that I wouldn't want him (Trae Young) on my team.

Last edited:
Reactions: senswon

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
people, there is no chance we picked up Yakemchuk or Catton
Why

Supposedly Buium plays on the right side a lot.
Able to play the offside when you’re one of the most skilled guys out there is different.

But if we were to draft him I wouldn’t mind him earning his stripes on both sides on the bottom pair and then the second pair is chabot rejuvenation which leads to a chabot trade

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I really want to like Parekh at 7, but I'm struggling to get there. He's obviously extremely talented and the production is incredible, but the defensive side of his game is frightening.

It seems to go beyond the normal issues you'd expect a prospect like him to have to work on. He looks like a player who just doesn't care enough. There are way too many clips from this season where he's just not trying back there at all, which makes you question the mental makeup of the player. Where's the compete? Where's the pride?

Take those questions, and add in the fact that he's not that big and he's not a Karlsson/Makar/Hughes level skater, and he starts to look like a prospect who might be a really productive NHLer, but even if he is, how far can you go if he's one of your best players?

We see extreme examples of this in basketball with guys like Trae Young. Exceptionally talented offensive player, but such a liability on defence that I wouldn't want him (Trae Young) on my team.
Right now parekh isn’t so much a defensive liability. But in the NHL. I dono I just don’t see it. And he very well may make us look dumb

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
people, there is no chance we picked up Yakemchuk or Catton

You might be right on Catton but Yakemchuk ticks off many boxes of what our scouting staff typically likes in a prospect.

I'm not a big fan personally but he got some top 5 votes in Mackenzie's latest ranking. Some teams appear to be fairly high on him.

The thing is that Chabot and Chychrun are just not good enough. Like we are missing that elite offensive defenceman element, cuz they aren't it.

They have mediocre hockey sense compared to their physical tools, so they can't actually run a team from the backend.

Chychrun's problem is hockey sense but I don't think that's Chabots problem.

His problem is laziness and attentiveness, which can make him look dumb at times.

I don't think we need an offensive defenseman. If Parekh is BPA we should take him, but Sanderson and Chabot will be more than capable of running our PP units.

Oct 10, 2010
Parekh is risky not sure how his game translates defensively in the NHL

I think Dickinson, Buium and Yakemchuk are all more appealing at least to me.

I really like Yakemchuk, I think he’s a perfect fit for us.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Yakemchuk is more rounded than Parekh but we haven't had a stud RD in a while. I think Parekh's offensive talent is too good to pass up. Definite no on Dickinson, don't need another LD in our logjam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad