MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
and to think that one of those guys would be the next guy to run the marlins into the ground. no, the other guy.

I wouldn't say Jeter is running them into the ground. For one, that happened with Loria/Samson.... and for two, he went for quite the challenge. Its not easy running a team that's been that bad for so long and has that much debt.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't say Jeter is running them into the ground. For one, that happened with Loria/Samson.... and for two, he went for quite the challenge. Its not easy running a team that's been that bad for so long and has that much debt.

Yeah, but he's not exactly coming in like a white knight to save the day. He's handled some inter-office things pretty horribly from all accounts so it's not like his Jeter charm is working on the masses right now. I agree he came into a tough spot but the optics of the team are looking even worse since new management took over.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Marlins fans were hoping for a new owner who would have deep pockets......not someone who looks to be not so financially able to treat this team the way it needs to be treated and is making me miss my man Loria already.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marlins fans were hoping for a new owner who would have deep pockets......not someone who looks to be not so financially able to treat this team the way it needs to be treated and is making me miss my man Loria already.

He said they will spend to improve the team once they cut down the half billion dollar debt they have. Can't do much until that's resolved.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
He said they will spend to improve the team once they cut down the half billion dollar debt they have. Can't do much until that's resolved.
That's all well and good, but he's going to continue to alienate fans going this route & the stadium will be way emptier than it is even now. You have to know your market & Miami fans will only show up if the product is of decent quality. Fans here do not have the patience to wait another 3 to 5 years to possibly be contenders when they already have an offense capable of doing major damage.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
he's botched this stanton trade thing pretty badly so far. he's the one making the trade and yet has no leverage because he has no relationship with stanton. all the work, all the very public trade talks about where they are trying to move him...stanton has blocked two places so far rendering that work useless. they're going to get almost nothing for him but salary relief and then what? they don't have much of a farm system so it will be hard to make trades for impact talent and despite manny machado being from miami, do you think he gives them the f***ing time of day in free agency?

they're still planning on making moves after they give stanton away, btw. there will be very little to interest the fans, something that has been a pretty common theme in miami for the last decade or so.

putting the blame on loria, while accurate, can't be done for everything. i've a feeling that people who love "the captain" are going to scapegoat loria even as jeter is skullf***ing this team back further than loria's wildest dreams. losing one of the most popular, talented, interesting, etc. players for what will seemingly amount to nothing is like hammering a salt spike in the middle of their fanbase. hard to come back from that. then add on all the extra piddly shit, offering jeff conine basically nothing a year and gutting the front office of special assistants who are in the hall of fame. these can be seen as cost cutting measures, sure. there's also a way to do them professionally.

this seems like salting the earth, man. burning it all down in the hopes you'll build it back up. people here already don't like the team much, don't like the park or where it's located, etc. jeter is bringing everything down to start anew. i'm curious if anyone will be there if he does.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's a business at the end of the day. Jeter will make his fair share from the TV deal and shared revenue.

Reactions: Voight

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

makes me feel old

God damn, i used to idolize Nomar back then. He was so good before he fell off.

Also led me to this bit of 90's nostalgia with them :laugh: "They play shorstop as well as they play the field". If only GQ had the juicy stuff about hookup gift baskets and over-the-bed centaur self-portraits way back then.

ByZ_abmIQAA_02B.jpg

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
What a yawner of a 1st day at the winter meetings.

This is like the biggest piece of info to come out of it:

Jays connected to Bruce for the 140th time the last 2 years:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I hope the Astros can sign Darvish. Meh on Arrieta, and wouldn't want to trade for Archer as the asking price would be high(basically said, Rays will want Tucker or Whitley, maybe both? + more). A lot of Astros fans are against signing Darvish/Arrieta and I'm not sure how serious the Astros are on either. Could be insurance if Keuchel leaves nxt year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln