MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Abreu would be a good pickup for any team, really. Could go to a team that decides Stanton will cost to much to trade for.

He's probably going to cost just as much, given he's got 3 more seasons in arbitration before he can hit free agency.

Would make sense for Boston to go after him since they saw this past year how the line-up performed without a 'Big Papi' type power bat in the lineup. Given that 1B has been uncertain for them it would be a good fit. Who do the Red Sox have to trade though? Prospect cupboard is fairly bare at this point, no? would have to think Groome would need to be in there.

Yea, they already gave the ChiSox some of their best prospects for Sale last year, mind you Dumbrowski is running show and he doesn't even know what a prospect is.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He's probably going to cost just as much, given he's got 3 more seasons in arbitration before he can hit free agency.

Yea, they already gave the ChiSox some of their best prospects for Sale last year, mind you Dumbrowski is running show and he doesn't even know what a prospect is.

Well yeah, I just mean that Boston's farm system isn't nearly as good as it was a year or two ago so even if he wants to trade all his prospects it might not have enough high end talent to beat other bids. With all the recent trades and guys like Benintendi and Devers graduating. DD is a wild man when it comes to making trades but those two guys HAVE to be off the table. I mean that would be legit insanity but I guess crazier things have happened.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well yeah, I just mean that Boston's farm system isn't nearly as good as it was a year or two ago so even if he wants to trade all his prospects it might not have enough high end talent to beat other bids. With all the recent trades and guys like Benintendi and Devers graduating. DD is a wild man when it comes to making trades but those two guys HAVE to be off the table. I mean that would be legit insanity but I guess crazier things have happened.

Thats the thing -- they don't have much prospect capital left after trading for Kimbrel, Pomeranz and Sale. So its almost as if they'd have to trade Devers or Benintendi if they wanted Abreu.... which I wouldn't count out with Trader Dave running the show.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So platoon Thames like he should've been. .933 OPS vs RHP, Aguilar can play vs LHP. The cost in prospects isn't worth the at best 2 WAR upgrade over what we have.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Most of Braves fans (like myself) were screaming from the hilltops to trade Matt Adams while he was batting .280 and Freeman was coming off the DL. Probably could have gotten a decent return at the time. Instead, they moved Freddy to 3rd, kept Matt at 1st, and the rest is history.
Yesterday, they non-tendered Adams. Great move Braves. sigh.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like the Marlins have frameworks of deals with both the Giants and Cardinals for Stanton. It's up to him now where he goes. Looks like cash will be the main return on him from what I can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad