Mitch "The Magician" Marner

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
hunter was apparently interested in werenski not hanafin.
Thank you for confirming that because I couldn't remember if it was Werenski or Provorov, I just remembered hearing it was one of them.

What I said about the debate between Marner and Hanifin that was more between Leafs fans and who they thought should have been selected.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Thank you for confirming that because I couldn't remember if it was Werenski or Provorov, I just remembered hearing it was one of them.

What I said about the debate between Marner and Hanifin that was more between Leafs fans and who they thought should have been selected.

I liked the idea of Hanifin out of Hanifin/Marner/Strome. To be more clear, I liked the idea of a 6’3 future Norris winner.

But ultimately I didn’t follow any of them enough to know who was the best choice. I’m just glad things turned out this way.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I liked the idea of Hanifin out of Hanifin/Marner/Strome. To be more clear, I liked the idea of a 6’3 future Norris winner.

But ultimately I didn’t follow any of them enough to know who was the best choice. I’m just glad things turned out this way.
At first I also liked the idea of Hanifin for those same reasons, however I eventually realized that Marner had the potential to become another version of Patrick Kane and the Leafs would regret not selecting him. So I think having Mark Hunter and his experience with Marner in London only helped with that decision.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Travares will be a great winger for Kadri. Like before.
i know i'm getting old and feeble minded, but my recollection is that Naz moved from centre and played the right side on Tavares line once he was brought over from Oshawa for the MemCup push

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
At first I also liked the idea of Hanifin for those same reasons, however I eventually realized that Marner had the potential to become another version of Patrick Kane and the Leafs would regret not selecting him. So I think having Mark Hunter and his experience with Marner in London only helped with that decision.
for me it was always Marner, with Provorov and Werenski following, never keen on Strome or Hanifan in the use of that pick

Provorov over Werenski because of the amount of work he got in jr over a college sched

So if the Leafs go after Tavares I think Marner stays with Kadri and Tavares will probably get Kapanen and Marleau

Last edited:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i wouldn't have complained with provorov ;)

but marner was always my pick after mcdavid and eichel.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
From what I've read, and limited seeing myself, Hanifin has had an uneven season, the "stud" label has yet to materialize. I'm just glad we had Hunter and his insider knowledge on Marner, or we could have ended up with Strome. I also think, taken in totality, character etc, Marner is looking a better pick than Eichel, yes I said it.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
From what I've read, and limited seeing myself, Hanifin has had an uneven season, the "stud" label has yet to materialize. I'm just glad we had Hunter and his insider knowledge on Marner, or we could have ended up with Strome. I also think, taken in totality, character etc, Marner is looking a better pick than Eichel, yes I said it.

Well to be fair to the draft process Strome was not available at Leafs pick and as such that can't be a debate topic to support Hunter's choice at #4.

Hunter's insider info played no part in who Arizona took first. They only way Leafs could have ended up with Strome is if Arizona took Marner at #3.

Perhaps you could make that case that Arizona blew it and should have taken BPA and gone with Barzal at #3 OA if they wanted a elite centre if they had better scouting talent assessments, and then Hunter being forced to pick between Marner and Strome and Hanifin at #4.

The caveat qualifier being that Hunter was left with just those 3 choices above and not gone with someone taken after Marner, who were also available as BPA in the discussion.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Well to be fair to the draft process Strome was not available at Leafs pick and as such that can't be a debate topic to support Hunter's choice at #4.

Hunter's insider info played no part in who Arizona took first. They only way Leafs could have ended up with Strome is if Arizona took Marner at #3.

Perhaps you could make that case that Arizona blew it and should have taken BPA and gone with Barzal at #3 OA if they wanted a elite centre if they had better scouting talent assessments, and then Hunter being forced to pick between Marner and Strome and Hanifin at #4.

The caveat qualifier being that Hunter was left with just those 3 choices above and not gone with someone taken after Marner, who were also available as BPA in the discussion.

Elite Centreman (41% FO%): Last 44 Games / 12 Goals / 35 Assists / 47 points / -7 (18:16 aTOI)
Bum taken too high: Last 44 Games / 17 Goals / 28 Assists / 45 points / E (16:37 aTOI)

I dunno, things are getting sticky, Mess. Might have to use the playoff performances as the tie breaker.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I honestly can't understand why any true Leaf fan would continue to diminish Marner at every opportunity no matter how well he performs.

The only conclusion I can draw is pure stubbornness to admit being wrong. It's sad really...

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Even if you look at Marner's numbers since November 1st, they're pretty damn good:

62 GP, 19 G, 38 A, 57 P (a pace of 25 G, 50 A, 75 P over an 82 game span)

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I posted this in the GDT but it fits here too.

Preds analysts referred to Mitch tonight as the third head of the hydra. Thought that was pretty cool.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Elite Centreman (41% FO%): Last 44 Games / 12 Goals / 35 Assists / 47 points / -7 (18:16 aTOI)
Bum taken too high: Last 44 Games / 17 Goals / 28 Assists / 45 points / E (16:37 aTOI)

I dunno, things are getting sticky, Mess. Might have to use the playoff performances as the tie breaker. :sarcasm:

Fixed it for ya...that wouldn't be fair...one will be playing, another watching.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
to be far to eichel he likely would he better than he is now if he got drafted by the leafs. that said marner has been my favorite player in league since start of last season.

Reactions: Optomist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad