Mitch "The Magician" Marner

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Btw Hanifin is absolute crap defensively, Dermott's better. Take some time to watch a few Carolina games, the kid's got a ton of work to do.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW, Aho is averaging almost 2 more minutes of TOI than Marner this season.
16:08 is Mitch's TOI. Try to find a guy with that production vs his usage.. There's so few in the entire NHL. All the guys from 2015 draft people try to say are "Better", have far more ice-time.

Reactions: stickty111 and IPS

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah I think the Leafs are pretty happy with how their draft went.

Mitch is a super important piece for the Leafs right now, especially with Matthews out.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Btw Hanifin is absolute crap defensively, Dermott's better. Take some time to watch a few Carolina games, the kid's got a ton of work to do.
I think it's fair to say that Zach Werenski and Ivan Provorov are turning into better defenseman than Hanifin. While at the time of the draft it was a legit debate between Marner and Hanifin we know the Leafs went with the right choice.

Reactions: Damage

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
even in junior mm was a really slow starter. seems to turn it up 1/2 way through at the latest.
44 points in the last 46 games, basically December till now

last season people were talking about who's better Matthews or Nylander, and i said Marner might be better then the both of them.....it's possible as of this moment though for over all game he's ahead of Willie but still behind Matty, but he's real close

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Getting Tavares doesn't mean we lose Kadri, where do you get this from? Even with Tavares we'd have 3 awesome centres but it's still not clear who would fill the 4th line centre position as there's still zero depth behind those 3 so why the hell would we trade Kadri? Makes no sense.

Anyhow back to Marner, another guy who won't be traded anytime soon. :)

Aaltonen, but barring that, just double shift Matty and Naz and give the the odd shift to Willie

4th line centre by commitee:naughty:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

last season people were talking about who's better Matthews or Nylander, and i said Marner might be better then the both of them.....it's possible as of this moment though for over all game he's ahead of Willie but still behind Matty, but he's real close

Just after the halfway point of last season there was a poll on this board and Marner was just slightly behind Matthews for best Leafs player. I voted Marner too. By the end it was clear it was Matthews and Nylander started to play a lot better. Marner's play dropped off a bit and then even more so after injury. He never got back to his original self until this calendar year really.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
all the Hanifan freaks were insufferable, kids good no doubt but will never give a team what Marner does
If you read about the inital Hanifan love, it was all based on his size. Nothing else. They assumed he was that huge Dman a la Chara who would dominate. Marner was always a "Small" forward.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW, if you sign Tvares and wanted to trade Kadri, imagine the value Naz has with that production ans steal of a contract.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you read about the inital Hanifan love, it was all based on his size. Nothing else. They assumed he was that huge Dman a la Chara who would dominate. Marner was always a "Small" forward.

Huge? He’s like 6’3.... meanwhile chara is 6’9. He’s closer to marners size then chara.

I think people were more thinking lidstrom, Pietrangelo.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Tavares Kadri Marner
Johnsson Marleau Kapanen
Komarov Aaltonen Brown/leivo

Rielly Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Gardiner Borgman

Andersen
Mcbackup/Sparks

Could we afford this next season?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs imo, are the only team that can take a hit of losing JVR and be fine. The depth at wing is just the best in the NHL by far.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Mark Hunter should tell Babcock
"Sorry Mike but I was right on Marner over Hanifin"

Babcock would become GM, fire Hunter, and trade Marner for Abdelkader

That's not necessarily true. He was seen as a smooth skating defensemen who could do it all for you. His offensive upside was really the only thing being questioned at the time.

That aside, once Strome was picked by Arizona I jumped in the air and praised the Lord. Wanted Marner so bad that season and to actually get him was icing on the cake. I remember arguing that he could be a center in the NHL as a reason to pick him over Strome and Hanifan. I was wrong about that, but picking Marner still looks to have been the right choice.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
70 points with the kind of start he had would be insane. I'm very happy with the steps Marner has taken this year, I thought he would struggle a bit (and he did to start) but he's shown that he can impose his dynamic game even on higher levels of competition. Overall 2 way game is much improved as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That aside, once Strome was picked by Arizona I jumped in the air and praised the Lord. Wanted Marner so bad that season and to actually get him was icing on the cake. I remember arguing that he could be a center in the NHL as a reason to pick him over Strome and Hanifan. I was wrong about that, but picking Marner still looks to have been the right choice.
I remember being very happy the moment Mark Hunter announced Marner's name.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Wow watching the whole show would have helped you.

Kipper was frustrated with Marner being on the 4 th line and getting less ice then Hyman and others like Brown and Leo.

Kippers favourite Leaf player is Marner.

You are way off base here and posting with out knowing the context is laughable.

Unfortunetly. It seems you are way off base here. The idea of trading Marner because Hyman, Leo, and Brown are go to guys for Babcock is idiotic to say the least. Doesn't matter where he is playing on the depth chart in his second season. To utter such nonsense with rubbish reasoning is beyond laughable. It makes me want to puke.

If you really "love" Marner you bring up trading guys like Hyman and Komarov before you even utter trading Marner, doesn't matter what the coach does.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I think it's fair to say that Zach Werenski and Ivan Provorov are turning into better defenseman than Hanifin. While at the time of the draft it was a legit debate between Marner and Hanifin we know the Leafs went with the right choice.

hunter was apparently interested in werenski not hanafin.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

it's a nice argument to have. i've been watching the leafs since the ballard era and we've never had this much pure talent except maybe in 93. i wouldn't say his overall game is better yet as nylander has a much better shot and zone penetration. plus learning c, willy has different responsibilities. but marner is def on a hot streak and not saddled by jvzak.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad