Mitch "The Magician" Marner

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Mitch Marner: Super Soph

Last Marner thread was full.

Mitch lead all rookies with 42 assists last season, which also broke a Maple Leafs rookie record. He's pretty good.

Then he went to the World Championships and quickly established himself as the PP1 QB on a team stacked with offensive talent. He's damn good.

Having recently turned 20, the sky is the limit for this local kid.

Predictions for this season:

- Dangles aplenty
- Mouthguards will be chewed

marner-mouthguard.jpg

Use this thread for everything Marner.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Last thread was full

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2221167&page=41

I agree. He said that Mitch seemed like the "more likely candidate" which is what I took issue with. Yes, I suppose I'm just being a nit.

I was agreeing with you. None of the 3 are the "most likely candidate" to slump. For some reason Mitch is perceived "most likely to slump". I don't get it.

Is the sophomore slump really still a thing.......especially with this caliber a player?

Oh trust me, if one of our 3 slump, the sophomore slump will be alive and well on HF :laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Last Marner thread was full.

Mitch lead all rookies with 42 assists last season, which also broke a Maple Leafs rookie record. He's pretty good.

Then he went to the World Championships and quickly established himself as the PP1 QB on a team stacked with offensive talent. He's damn good.

Having recently turned 20, the sky is the limit for this local kid.

Predictions for this season:

- Dangles aplenty
- Mouthguards will be chewed

marner-mouthguard.jpg

Use this thread for everything Marner.

That would be a savage photo to put in the NHL Photo-shop thread. :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Last thread was full

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2221167&page=41

I was agreeing with you. None of the 3 are the "most likely candidate" to slump. For some reason Mitch is perceived "most likely to slump". I don't get it.

Oh trust me, if one of our 3 slump, the sophomore slump will be alive and well on HF :laugh:

i think the reason why Mitch is "more likely" is that - Will and Matty have pro-league experience (Like theoretically this is Mitch's second period, but it's Matty's 3rd and Will's. 4th? I can't remember how long he was in Europe for).. that was my reasoning if something happens.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
i think the reason why Mitch is "more likely" is that - Will and Matty have pro-league experience (Like theoretically this is Mitch's second period, but it's Matty's 3rd and Will's. 4th? I can't remember how long he was in Europe for).. that was my reasoning if something happens.

That and also Nylander had insane underlying stats while Matthews carried his line.

While Mitch was phenomenal and did carry JVR & Bozak at times, he had the easiest matchups and (I believe) the worst underlying advanced stats.

However, the way Mitch plays he will likely never be as much of an advanced stat darling as Matthews (tons of shots) or Nylander (fantastic possession), but I still think he'll be just as good as Nylander and closer to Matthews than some believe. He just needs effective linemates that have speed, finish, and hopefully are decent along the boards (Kapanen, Marleau, and Rychel come to mind that fit at least 2/3 of these parameters).

Edit: I know it's likely 1 of the 3 "slump" a bit, but I couldn't choose any of the 3 to slump. Based on how they played last year it is more realistic in my opinion that they each improve (If you ask me if Nylander will improve or slump, I would say he's more likely to improve. Same for Matthews and Marner. However, if you ask me will at least 1 of the 3 slump, I'd say it's likely).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Edit: I know it's likely 1 of the 3 "slump" a bit, but I couldn't choose any of the 3 to slump. Based on how they played last year it is more realistic in my opinion that they each improve (If you ask me if Nylander will improve or slump, I would say he's more likely to improve. Same for Matthews and Marner. However, if you ask me will at least 1 of the 3 slump, I'd say it's likely).

Marner slowed down during the stretch drive and had a below average playoffs.

Some of that was illness related, but he is the one of the 3 that showed the most regression during a long season as it was taking it toll on him.

Matthews and Nylander got better in the 2nd half and Willie was World Championships MVP.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Some of that was illness related, but his is the one of the 3 that showed the most the long season was taking it toll on him.

Matthews and Nylander got better in the 2nd half and Willie was World Championships MVP.

1) Marner slowed when he had Mono... Hard to criticize the guy for that...
2) Marner really stepped up in the playoffs and had just as good a playoffs as any forward not named Matthews...

Marner's WC performance was arguablly just as impressive as Nylanders...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
2) Marner really stepped up in the playoffs and had just as good a playoffs as any forward not named Matthews...

Marner did not have a good playoffs. Many Leaf forwards outplayed him. IMO

He did have a bounce back performance at the WC a few weeks later however. But that was big ice and less contact and more time and space. It seemed the tighter checking and more physical playoffs reduced Marner's effectiveness and it was noticeable.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

I seem to recall him being barely visible in the playoffs...

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I seem to recall him being barely visible in the playoffs...

I don't recall it that way, but maybe thats just me... I thought it was his best hockey in several weeks (due to Mono)... regardless, I'd hardly call a 0.666 PPG playoff performance as 'below average'.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That and also Nylander had insane underlying stats while Matthews carried his line.

While Mitch was phenomenal and did carry JVR & Bozak at times, he had the easiest matchups and (I believe) the worst underlying advanced stats.

However, the way Mitch plays he will likely never be as much of an advanced stat darling as Matthews (tons of shots) or Nylander (fantastic possession), but I still think he'll be just as good as Nylander and closer to Matthews than some believe. He just needs effective linemates that have speed, finish, and hopefully are decent along the boards (Kapanen, Marleau, and Rychel come to mind that fit at least 2/3 of these parameters).

Good post.

Based on Marners possession play, he appears to be a guy who 'needs' (used loosely) to be a secondary piece on the line, and have someone else drive possession.

Thing is, Patrick Kane is the exact same way, and we know he doesn't need anyone! These guys drive offense to a point that nobody can, and If he plays with someone who can generate possession AND score lots of goals* (Matthews/Nylander), it's his perfect linemate.

*not that Marner or Kane can't score themselves

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't recall it that way, but maybe thats just me... I thought it was his best hockey in several weeks (due to Mono)... regardless, I'd hardly call a 0.666 PPG playoff performance as 'below average'.

He scored a goal falling down in game 1 on a broken play, and record a few PP assists after that, but it wasn't on magical plays but more routine and his 5v5 play really slowed down as he didn't generate a lot of offense, like he did out of nowhere during the regular season.

The "strep throat" came out post playoffs to help explain the performance.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

I thought the turning point in the playoffs for Mitch was when he got hit hard by Orpik trying to gain the blue line. Can't remember if it was game 1 or 2. He just didn't look the same after that, he seemed more timid on entries and settled for more dump and chases.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

He put up points but IMO had a weak playoffs just watching how he played. Of course I'll take the points but in comparison to earlier in the season it was weak

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Some of that was illness related, but he is the one of the 3 that showed the most regression during a long season as it was taking it toll on him.

Coincidentally when they started playing together.
Had Marner been promoted instead of Nylander how do you see his second half going?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He scored a goal falling down in game 1 on a broken play, and record a few PP assists after that, but it wasn't on magical plays but more routine and his 5v5 play really slowed down as he didn't generate a lot of offense, like he did out of nowhere during the regular season.

The "strep throat" came out post playoffs to help explain the performance.

Do you remember how this kind of nit-picking worked out for you last time?

IIRC, it was a "poor" WJHC...then bang, OHL playoff MVP, Mem Cup MVP, 60-point rookie season...great WC performance...the hole is just getting worse.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Coincidentally when they started playing together.
Had Marner been promoted instead of Nylander how do you see his second half going?

Hard to say .. All we know is

Marner
March 14 games 2-8-10 points.
April 6 games 2-1-3 points.
= Last 20 games (last quarter) 4-9-13 points

Nylander
March 14 games 4-10-14 points
April 6 games 1-2-3 points
= Last 20 games 5-12-17 points

Matthews
March 14 games 5-3-8 points
April 6 games 4-2-6 points
= Last 20 games 9-5-14 points

Matthews scored the most goals 9 = Nylander and Marner combined & Nylander scored the most points and Marner was last in goals and points.

Marner had the same linemates all year but in 13 games in Dec he had 4-11-15 points (more than he had the last 2 months combined).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I believe Marner was leading Matthews/Nylander in points until his shoulder injury and then Mono.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
i don't really remember seeing mitchell in the post season

I dont really remember seeing any kind of intensity from JvR or Bozak, you know, his linemates. Those two were terrible in the post season, they reminded me the good old days when they stopped playing in february and the team just collapsed (in previous years). Everyone was giving 100% effort except those two, it was really disturbing. Thats why I want Lou to trade them, especially JvR.

Reactions: JayDog17

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Do you remember how this kind of nit-picking worked out for you last time?

IIRC, it was a "poor" WJHC...then bang, OHL playoff MVP, Mem Cup MVP, 60-point rookie season...great WC performance...the hole is just getting worse.

Even still, his WJHC was not bad at all. I remember him almost scoring a hat trick in one period. TOTAL BUST! Also, he was the OHL MVP for the regular season too.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I dont really remember seeing any kind of intensity from JvR or Bozak, you know, his linemates. Those two were terrible in the post season, they reminded me the good old days when they stopped playing in february and the team just collapsed (in previous years). Everyone was giving 100% effort except those two, it was really disturbing. Thats why I want Lou to trade them, especially JvR.

Bozak was very noticable in a good way... He was actually physical, laying out hits every game and played very well rounded hockey IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->