Mitch "The Magician" Marner

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Seems like marner is really starting to figure out this league. cannot wait for playoffs!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I find Marner to be a more consistently electrifying offensive player than Matthews.

Matthews boggles my mind with his smarts, and specifically his awareness of what he can/can't get away with in pretty much any situation. His strength and reach when stripping opponents of the puck is magical, and he does this over all 200' on the ice. When he decides he wants to make someone look silly, you're going to get blown away, but I feel like he picks his spots more frequently, whereas Marner seems to jump into any free lane given to him, and constantly pushes the offense.

They're wildly different players (who I think would complement each other superbly) and comparing them at all (let alone based solely on points) will likely be a fool's errand once they hit their primes.

Maybe Marner's more electriyfying but Matthews is better?

Not enough talk about that goal Matthews scored last night IMO, it was just sick. He found the puck in the midst of a tangle of legs, extended his stick putting it on the puck while turning the blade flat so he could pull it out from where it was, then snapped it into the net and did this all in about one second. I rewound and watched that one about 10 times before continuing. How many players are there in the world that have the skill to even attempt this? This is a sick individual we're talking about here and he's only getting started. Having him and Marner on the same team is just bad news for the rest of the league IMO.

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Not enough talk about that goal Matthews scored last night IMO, it was just sick. He found the puck in the midst of a tangle of legs, extended his stick putting it one the puck while turning the blade flat so he could pull it out from where it was, then snapped it into the net and did this all in about one second. I rewound and watched that one about 10 times before continuing. How many players are there in the world that have the skill to even attempt this? This is a sick individual we're talking about here and he's only getting started. Having him and Marner on the same team is just bad news for the rest of the league IMO.
Terry Crisp pulled a Joe Thornton when talking about that goal last night. He loved it!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Not enough talk about that goal Matthews scored last night IMO, it was just sick. He found the puck in the midst of a tangle of legs, extended his stick putting it one the puck while turning the blade flat so he could pull it out from where it was, then snapped it into the net and did this all in about one second. I rewound and watched that one about 10 times before continuing. How many players are there in the world that have the skill to even attempt this? This is a sick individual we're talking about here and he's only getting started. Having him and Marner on the same team is just bad news for the rest of the league IMO.
I don't even find Marner more electrifying than Matthews (I have more fun watching Matthews than I've had watching any player I can remember - I laugh out loud with glee when he steals the puck from opponents) I just think he brings that element of his game more frequently than Matthews does. Where I expect at least one remarkable play from Matthews in the offensive zone each game, I'm growing to expect it from Marner just about every time he steps on the ice.

It's not that he's more dangerous than Matthews (Matthews creates high danger scoring opportunities at a ludicrous rate), it's just that he wears the heart of his creativity on his sleeve, it's always on display. Matthews seems to have a real grasp of all 200' of the ice, and simply makes sure he is where he needs to be, and will let his skill take care of the rest.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Terry Crisp pulled a Joe Thornton when talking about that goal last night. He loved it!

Hahaha cool, glad to hear it. I was watching it slightly delayed and was rewinding and watching some parts over and over again to see what happened, then fast forwarding over a lot of the commentary. I just watched that one over and over and over again, it was just soooooo beautiful!

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
THink leafs have to be realistic about marners next contract; he is going to get more than nylander. 7X8 seems fair. nylander 6x6 6x7 or 6x8 roughly.
If there is one thing Lou is known for, it's getting players signed to team friendly deals. The next 18 months might be the time we need Lou the most.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Marner has quarterbacked our powerplay into a real dangerous one. Lot of options when the puck is on his stick.

Marner wrister on net.
Marner slap pass to Kadri for a deflection.
Marner pass to JVR for a chance in tight.
Marner to JVR to Bozak for a tap-in.

Been a thing of beauty to watch lately.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'll be so f***ing disappointed if we let him wait a year to prove himself before signing a contract. We need to lock him down before he's near PPG next year.

It'd be nice to sign Nylander & Marner for 7 years and Matthews for 8 so we have 1 kid becoming UFA in 3 separate seasons

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The thing I admire in the kid is he appears to be absolutely, genuinely having fun when he plays. You can see it in his eyes.
I hope he never loses it - It's the kind of thing that will make stepping into that lockerroom so much easier for kids in the future. That kind of personality can instantly change a room.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll be so ****ing disappointed if we let him wait a year to prove himself before signing a contract. We need to lock him down before he's near PPG next year.

It'd be nice to sign Nylander & Marner for 7 years and Matthews for 8 so we have 1 kid becoming UFA in 3 separate seasons
I'd expect him to be over PPG next year.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd expect him to be over PPG next year.
Yeah I'm just keeping expectations low, even with him being PPG+ since being put on Kadri's line. Really depends more on who his C is next year and whether Babs gives him more minutes. Give him Matthews and 20 minutes / game and I wouldn't say 100 points is too out there.

Reactions: ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner will never be the best player on the team as long as Matthews is here, let's be real

People once argued Kane and Toews. A few years later Kane is by far the best player on that team. Don't be shocked if Marner surpasses Matthews.

Not saying it will happen, just wouldn't shock me. He is showing something a little more important to me than Matthews has all season. He has raw passion and iron will. Marner has dialed in to something I haven't really seen from Matthews since his first ever game. He looks possessed.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
People once argued Kane and Toews. A few years later Kane is by far the best player on that team. Don't be shocked if Marner surpasses Matthews.

I'd be shocked. One could even call me....electrified.

Not enough talk about that goal Matthews scored last night IMO, it was just sick. He found the puck in the midst of a tangle of legs, extended his stick putting it on the puck while turning the blade flat so he could pull it out from where it was, then snapped it into the net and did this all in about one second. I rewound and watched that one about 10 times before continuing. How many players are there in the world that have the skill to even attempt this? This is a sick individual we're talking about here and he's only getting started. Having him and Marner on the same team is just bad news for the rest of the league IMO.

I dunno man...I get pretty electrified by Matthews. Also, he has a better e60 this season despite his injuries.

#makeuprandomstufflikeTWSbecauseitsFriday

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Not saying it will happen, just wouldn't shock me. He is showing something a little more important to me than Matthews has all season. He has raw passion and iron will. Marner has dialed in to something I haven't really seen from Matthews since his first ever game. He looks possessed.

Marner might have elite passion but Matthews scores more at evens than anyone in the league. That's special.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Guess it never paid off for certain posters calling Marner our Drouin and how he needs to be traded for defensive help if we ever wanna see success.

Has easily been one of our most valuable players and has stepped up massively for Matthews' injury. Also gonna be hilarious watching whoever overpays JVR for his inflated goal totals.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Seems like marner is really starting to figure out this league. cannot wait for playoffs!

The moment Marner figures out this league; he will produce more than McDavid; especially since he will be playing behind Matthews

yup it is a bold statement - but I be-leaf it is the right statement

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Marner has quarterbacked our powerplay into a real dangerous one. Lot of options when the puck is on his stick.

Marner wrister on net.
Marner slap pass to Kadri for a deflection.
Marner pass to JVR for a chance in tight.
Marner to JVR to Bozak for a tap-in.

Been a thing of beauty to watch lately.
So incredibly refreshing when most of the teams in the league still just try for some big onetimer from the tops of the circles.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

it would absolutely shock me

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

They are far too different to even make a comparison.

One is a goal scorer and one is a play maker
One is a force even strength and one is a force on the PP
One excels in space and one excels in traffic
One is a powerful skater and one is an edging maniac
One uses their size to gain a step one uses their lateral quickness to gain a step

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
They are far too different to even make a comparison.

One is a goal scorer and one is a play maker
One is a force even strength and one is a force on the PP
One excels in space and one excels in traffic
One is a powerful skater and one is an edging maniac
One uses their size to gain a step one uses their lateral quickness to gain a step
Please, please, please, please, please let us see these guys together for some meaningful point in their careers....

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I've said it since we drafted him , this kid will be one of the very best players in the league because he makes everybody around him better .Mathews may finish better at times but he doesn't change the players around him like Mitch Marner does .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad