Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Maybe you should try checking out the Nylander thread. instead of making up complete BS. Most of the other fans are laughing at the thought of Nylander asking for 8 mil and wouldn't want him near their team at that price. want him near
Oh I have checked it out and they are certainly a lot of non leaf fans saying how leafs are trying to underpay Nylander, he deserves his fair value etc etc when these posters have likely never posted a positive thing about Nylander before the contract disputes.

Mar 26, 2010
probably about 8-9 million
I agree with this.

Everyone has to remember that Mitch Marner is a Toronto boy born and raised. He grew up a Leafs fan, and good chance he takes the home town discount as Tavares did. JT left $14M on the table to play in T.O.

That being said, minimum will be $8M AAV.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Thats because until this season he absolutely was worse than Drai, Barzal, Laine etc. Marner has taken a huge step this season

So has Marner taken the next step into Malkin/Ovechkin level? Because the guys I would compare him to sure didn't make 10+m after their ELC (Kane, Gaudreau, Tavares, Hall, etc)

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I'll guess 8 years 9 mill per.

People trying to compare this to the Malkin/OV/Crosby contracts are only looking at this in pure $ numbers, not as a % of the current cap. ~9 mill is an appropriate number for a player of his caliber (that is to say, pretty damn good)

Reactions: TS Quint

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You can compare 7 yrs ago with today. Cap has risin a lot.

Yeah. The Leafs should hope that Marner's agent doesn't use Kane as a comparable. Adjusted for cap inflation, a Kane-equivalent 2nd contract is ~$8.8 mil with a term of 5 years. Add in more UFA years and $10 mil doesn't sound so crazy.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Marner wont be paid more that Kucherov (9.5), it just doesnt make any sense at all to pay Marner more straight off an ELC.

If he does then Dubas has really messed up and may need to be fired.

There are no state income taxes in Florida. $9.5 mil in Florida is better than a much larger contract in Toronto. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think this is a factor.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The pitiful(at the time)Sabres had to make sure that Eichel signed with them long term, and they had the cap space. Overpaid a bit...yeah, but they didn't want to risk losing him after his RFA years.

Leafs are in a different situation team wise, but Marner is almost as much of a must sign player. He is a local kid, beloved by the fans(my 90yo Dad loves him), and every point he scores while Mathews is out and Tavares lags behind just makes his case for him. Nylander might end up being a casualty... I sure as hell would make sure that I had enough to sign Mathews and Marner before NYlander.

Not a big tragedy for TML. Nylander should fetch them something decent in trade, if they have to go that way.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There are no state income taxes in Florida. $9.5 mil in Florida is better than a much larger contract in Toronto. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think this is a factor.
Well considering you pay the state taxes of the city you play in for away games it isnt 9.5 million getting Florida state taxes.

There is also the fact that Canadian players get paid in USD and buy houses, cars etc in Canadian dollars which is like 30% less.

Marner is coming fresh off an ELC while Kuch already took a bridge. Kuch also put up 100 points after 85 points in 74 games the previous year.

They just arent good comparables if your using the present day version of both players.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gaudreau signed for a $79.5 mil equivalent of ~$7.35 mil with a 6 year term. Tarasenko signed for a $79.5 mil equivalent of ~$8.16 mil with an 8 year term. Split the difference between the two and you're looking at ~$7.75 mil as the AAV with a 7 year term.

It will be interesting to see if his agent accepts this type of scale or asks for center money.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Marner will also make considerably more in endorsements in Toronto vs anywhere else.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Itll be over 10 he asks forsure

He is the real deal and PERFECT for the NHL nowadays. He will be at or around 100 points every year starting this season

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I imagine he'll be around 8x8.

Marner wants to win, he loves Toronto and the Leafs, it won't be as difficult as Nylander.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Gaudreau signed for a $79.5 mil equivalent of ~$7.35 mil with a 6 year term. Tarasenko signed for a $79.5 mil equivalent of ~$8.16 mil with an 8 year term. Split the difference between the two and you're looking at ~$7.75 mil as the AAV with a 7 year term.

It will be interesting to see if his agent accepts this type of scale or asks for center money.
That would be a Bargoon! If Matthews and Nylander don't come back soon to share the scoring duties,then Mitch is gonna be countin' cash all summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well considering you pay the state taxes of the city you play in for away games it isnt 9.5 million getting Florida state taxes.

There is also the fact that Canadian players get paid in USD and buy houses, cars etc in Canadian dollars which is like 30% less.

Marner is coming fresh off an ELC while Kuch already took a bridge. Kuch also put up 100 points after 85 points in 74 games the previous year.

They just arent good comparables if your using the present day version of both players.

I'm fairly certain cars are not 30% less in Canada. Housing prices in a city like Toronto are higher than most US cities too even with the dollar difference so that doesn't really have much sway. Some goods are cheaper, but really most things are more expensive to compensate.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I think the Leafs will want to lock him up for 8 years, but once negotiations get going they'll realize they can't afford those extra UFA years. I'll guess $8m/6y.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I'm fairly certain cars are not 30% less in Canada. Housing prices in a city like Toronto are higher than most US cities too even with the dollar difference so that doesn't really have much sway. Some goods are cheaper, but really most things are more expensive to compensate.

I think he's saying that because the Us dollar is worth more players in Canada end up making more with exchange

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
The fact that Tavares is the passenger on the line and not Marner should tell you how much he's worth.

Really hope he signs for 8M though..

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
lol

HF: Marner is going to get 10-11 million LOL!

*Mitch Marner or Brayden Point?*

HF: Brayden Point all the way!

lmao
And if point were in the same position to cash in he would be worth as much or more. Why are you under the impression anyone is saying he wouldn't?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And if point were in the same position to cash in he would be worth as much or more. Why are you under the impression anyone is saying he wouldn't?

Brayden Point is literally an RFA this summer too. I haven't seen 1 person claim he should get 11M per season, while everytime Marner is mentioned, people say he's getting 10+ lol

Reactions: hamzarocks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad