Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Cap reality is gonna set in, the cap has risen by like $7 million in the last few years and likely rises again by another $2-$3 mill this summer.

There's gonna be a reallignment coming for salary structure. $10 per will be the "old" $8 per, $8 per will become the old "$6 per", etc. etc. It's inevitable with a cap that keeps rising.

So based off of this Laine, Connor, Marner, Aho, Point etc are all gonna make 10m? Keep wishing

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Tampa is gonna be in trouble with that Point contract, but they have the "Florida state tax" advantage going for them.

If Aho continues to produce like he is it's hard to argue against his agent if he's gonna ask for $8+.

Draisaitl got 8.5 on a lower cap and had lower sophomore and third years, even with McDavid provided Aho finishes around the PPG he's on now (which may well not happen).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So based off of this Laine, Connor, Marner, Aho, Point etc are all gonna make 10m? Keep wishing

Their agent's are simply not doing their jobs if they're not going to press hard for that.

I mean if Marner hits lets say 95 points ... that's worth way more than 8 million. If you hit 90+ in your third season, odds are you will hit 100+ a few times in your prime 20s.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I think Tampa is gonna be in trouble with that Point contract, but they have the "Florida state tax" advantage going for them.

If Aho continues to produce like he is it's hard to argue against his agent if he's gonna ask for $8+.

Draisaitl got 8.5 on a lower cap and had lower sophomore and third years, even with McDavid provided Aho finishes around the PPG he's on now (which may well not happen).

you can't justify Aho getting 8m and Marner getting 10m. So what? Rantanen is gonna make 12? Talking straight up nonsense. And theres perks to playing in Toronto you don't get anywhere else same as Tampa. Tampa has lower taxes, Toronto has better sponsorship deals

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
you can't justify Aho getting 8m and Marner getting 10m. So what? Rantanen is gonna make 12? Talking straight up nonsense. And theres perks to playing in Toronto you don't get anywhere else same as Tampa. Tampa has lower taxes, Toronto has better sponsorship deals

I think Rantanen will get 10, probably 10 flat. He deserves it to be honest, how many players in the NHL have his point totals in year 2 and 3. He could push for more I guess, we'll see. Ditto for Marner too.

Reactions: Morrison

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Their agent's are simply not doing their jobs if they're not going to press hard for that.

I mean if Marner hits lets say 95 points ... that's worth way more than 8 million. If you hit 90+ in your third season, odds are you will hit 100+ a few times in your prime 20s.
That's not true at all Backstrom hit 100 points once in his career and it was early on. Again, you guys are quick to point out Marner is on the same level as point Aho Connor etc except when it comes to resigning.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I think Rantanen will get 10, probably 10 flat. He deserves it to be honest, how many players in the NHL have his point totals in year 2 and 3. He could push for more I guess, we'll see. Ditto for Marner too.
HF boards.
Ratanen >>>>>> Marner
But they should sign for the same amount that also happens to be more then there other comparables like Aho point Connor. Ok. Again where's your logic?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's not true at all Backstrom hit 100 points once in his career and it was early on. Again, you guys are quick to point out Marner is on the same level as point Aho Connor etc except when it comes to resigning.

Well I think Carolina and Winnipeg are gonna have to pay up too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
HF boards.
Ratanen >>>>>> Marner
But they should sign for the same amount that also happens to be more then there other comparables like Aho point Connor. Ok. Again where's your logic?

I think if Rantanen hits 90+ points or even 100, he has a legit case for $11+ mill per, maybe he won't push that hard. I would not blame his agent, 84 points and lets say 98 points in his third year ... you gotta pay that man.

We're just seeing a bumper crop of elite young talent in the league.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Well I think Carolina and Winnipeg are gonna have to pay up too.
I'm ok with that. If the market indicates that they're all gonna get 10m then so be it. I doubt it but to say x player is gonna sign for 7 while x player is gonna sign for 10 when they're comparables is a hard sale.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I think Dubas has to sign Matthews right away. Wait with Marner. He won't(betting on) sign an offer sheet. He grew up leaf fan and won't leave in such a way. You see how much Point signs for. how much Kyle Connor and Aho sign for and go from there. Reminds me of a few years ago when a bunch of young top 4 dmen were coming off ELC. (Trouba Lindholm Rielly)

Edit: Also make no mistake about it. GM's are all talking together about there young upcoming rfa forwards and what the ask is and how much they're willing to spend. Carolinas GM said he spoke to Dubas about contracts already.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Draisaitl easily had the better sophomore year

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Everyone's hung up about Nylander, but I kinda think Marner is going to be more interesting. Currently in the top 5 in the NHL in scoring, you gotta figure he's quickly playing himself out of the $8 mill range and into a number that could be in the $10 per range.

Marner is outproducing Eichel who signed at $10 mill, and Eichel signed when the cap was lower.

Kucherov coming off a bridge, had 100pts, and signed for 9.5

Marner isnt getting 10

8x8.5

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Everyone saying 10mill are full of ****. Do they think Laine makes 10m? Does point make 10m? What about aho, is he making 10m? Haters gonna hate

pretty much this

most gonna guess aho signs a reasonable 8x8 deal or something

just can't stand the leafs being really good i guess

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kucherov coming off a bridge, had 100pts, and signed for 9.5

Marner isnt getting 10

8x8.5

9.5 in Tampa is "really" like 11 anywhere else because of their tax setup, using Tampa players as a comparable really doesn't work great. I'm sure agents jump all over that the moment the GM tries to bring that up.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Tax situations do impact these things, but so do RFA years remaining. While a $9.5m AAV is worth significantly more in Tampa than in Toronto, Marner also has 4 RFA years compared to Kucherov only having 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00