Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Do the leafs own buds now? Pretty sure all 31 teams have sponsorship deals in market & nationally.. As does the league.

Crosby plays in PIT, MacKinnon in COL, and make millions doing spots for Timmies...

I'm sure you'd love to tell me all of the various reasons why Marner can't even hold MacKinnon and Crosby's jock strap. Are you actually trying to compare the sponsorships of three time Stanley Cup winner and Olympic Champion Sidney Crosby to Mitch freaking Marner? Toronto is one of the leagues largest markets and offers sponsorship opportunities that other teams like Carolina and Tampa simply do not. By all means, feel free to break down the tax situation of the Tampa Bay lightning for me and show me all of Kucherov's commercials from that market at age 20 if you think it will help make your point.

This. Unless Marner's numbers fall off a cliff in the second half, you're looking at a $10M AAV pretty much guaranteed.

Feel free to explain to all of us why Marner is worth the same as Eichel. Especially considering that centres generally get a premium on their contracts over wingers, Marner really must be a better player to command that kind of salary, no? I really have to wonder what kind of salary you think Skinner is going to want.

The Matthews camp's ask is definitely higher than McDavid, probably in the range of $13-13.5M, eventually settling at $12-12.5 AAV...

Matthews is going to ask for more than the 2x reigning Art Ross winner, who also has a Hart? Hmmm, okay. I'll let you lead the charge in the next Matthews vs McDavid thread, should be a good time.

Leafs fans, there is a very valid reason Kyle Dumass couldn't give Willy $8M AAV... Hes not going to have space and he knows it - regardless if the cap goes up slightly...

Oh wow, Kyle Dumass. Good one. I gotta say, not wanting to overpay your players (because Nylander isn't worth $8m no matter whether they can afford it or not) isn't the reason I would slap a "Dumass" label on someone. I would save that for posts like this one.

Also have to find money to pay or replace Kapanen (RFA), Lindholm(UFA), Johnsson(RFA), Leivo(RFA), Gardiner(UFA) & Ozhiganov(RFA)... There's another $10-15M right there - Gardiner commands at least $5M, Kapanen in the $3-3.5M range minimum.

Oh no, Josh Leivo might not get qualified!!!! HOW WILL THE LEAFS SURVIVE?

Things are gonna get real tight, a la Chicago when that were on their run...

Of course they're going to get tight. We have a lot of very good players who need contracts and expect to be paid like the very good players they are. I think we can manage to let the Kapanens and the Leivos of the world go without too many tears, especially with three Stanley Cup rings to comfort us.

And just to be clear, I don't expect a serious response at all. I think your post was an excellent work of Leafs-hating fanfiction and broke it down solely for my own amusement.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Oh right because Tavares is a useless player right? I cant believe you used that as you're argument.

Reality is Mitch completely drives that line. Tavares wouldn't have close the points totals he has without Marner on his line.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's funny seeing everybody throw out huge numbers, and then claim that the number will be millions lower for comparables who Marner "would never get in a trade", just "because". :laugh:

Also funny to see everybody pointing to tax rates, but whenever the issue is brought up in regards to fixing the salary cap, it's "not a problem", and "there are upsides and downsides to everywhere that equal out". Fact is, every team is playing under the same salary cap. It doesn't matter where a contract was signed. The contract exists, and becomes a comparable in this league. If a player really hates the taxes they pay that much, they can force a move, but as most players have pointed out, it's a relatively meaningless factor when signing a contract.

Regardless, I'm sure most would prefer to play for a team with no budget constraints, top of the line staff and facilities, a huge chance of success, on an offensively gifted and styled team boosting their stats, with the most endorsement opportunities in the league, and a 30% bigger paycheck because of exchange rates.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Reality is Mitch completely drives that line. Tavares wouldn't have close the points totals he has without Marner on his line.
Absolutely.
You can talk about how JT loved the leafs as a kid.
You can show all the pictures of him in his leafs jammies.
He came to play with marner. 100%.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The kid has insane talent......JT was nowhere even close to him, at that age.
Their first 3 years are actually pretty similar. Tavares had a few less points in his 1st and 2nd year, but also scored more goals, played center, and didn't have the same type of teammates. In his 3rd year, he jumped up to PPG, just like Marner has done so far.

Tavares' 2nd contract is equivalent to 6.8m over 6 years today.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Bless your heart for thinking “winger” substantially changes things. He’s gonna get PAID.
Can you tell me why him being a winger wouldn't change anything? Like it is cute that you want to "bless my heart" and everything but I am good. I am looking for something substantial to back up the idea he is worth 11 million a year other then the feelings of a Buffalo Sabres fan. I have yet to see anyone who thinks he is worth 10 million+ a year actually be able to explain why to this point though. Probably because he objectively isn't even close to worth that much and you have nothing to back it up with.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Around Draisaitl money.

IDK why everyone considers Drai's contract to be such an overpayment. Eichel's was 1.5 million more for a similar calibre player.

Yeah, he's playing his way to 10 mil per. Better win quick, that roster is about to get REAL expensive

Heres a better question. Why didn't the Leafs lock him up in the summer?

I think we were a little optimistic thinking we'd sign all three at once to reasonable contracts. Human nature tends to get in the way of such dreams.

Don't think he'll get any less than Draisaitl for sure, and could get a little more. Going to be hard for Toronto to keep the band together (the big three) + Tavares plus that unknown stud defender that we keep talking about (in trade proposals).

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
"The Leafs have so many good players haha now they're going to have to pay them!"

Oh no!

Yeah I can’t see any way that is a bad thing. Even if you have to trade a core piece the Leafs would be getting some really good assets back. It’s a win any way you look at it.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Marner wont be paid more that Kucherov (9.5), it just doesnt make any sense at all to pay Marner more straight off an ELC.

If he does then Dubas has really messed up and may need to be fired.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Interesting how main boards think Marner is getting 10+ mil while simultaneously thinking him worse than guys like Point, Pastrnak, Petersson, Draisaitl, Barzal, Laine, etc.
HFBoard logic right there.

Suddenly fans of other teams are suddenly Nylanders biggest fan and he is a superstar easily worth 8 million. Then when a trade for Nylander is brought up, well we arent going to offer full value, he wants 8 million dollars and isnt worth close to that!!

So very predictable.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Everyone saying 10mill are full of ****. Do they think Laine makes 10m? Does point make 10m? What about aho, is he making 10m? Haters gonna hate
Ya and Nylander was going to sign for 6.5.:laugh::laugh:
If Marner hits 100 pts expect to dish out a 10 mil $ contract or you'll have another Nylander on your hands.You''ll also have to deal with Matthews. Have fun.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Interesting how main boards think Marner is getting 10+ mil while simultaneously thinking him worse than guys like Point, Pastrnak, Petersson, Draisaitl, Barzal, Laine, etc.
Thats because until this season he absolutely was worse than Drai, Barzal, Laine etc. Marner has taken a huge step this season

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Thats because until this season he absolutely was worse than Drai, Barzal, Laine etc. Marner has taken a huge step this season
Eh not really. He is scoring the same pace he was last year after he got moved to the kadri line and is still making the same amazing plays as last year.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
HFBoard logic right there.

Suddenly fans of other teams are suddenly Nylanders biggest fan and he is a superstar easily worth 8 million. Then when a trade for Nylander is brought up, well we arent going to offer full value, he wants 8 million dollars and isnt worth close to that!!

So very predictable.
Maybe you should try checking out the Nylander thread. instead of making up complete BS. Most of the other fans are laughing at the thought of Nylander asking for 8 mil and wouldn't want him near their team at that price. want him near

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad