Value of: Mitch Marner

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The way you value Leafs players is honestly ridiculous. Most teams would laugh at moving their best player for Marner.

There are only a handful of players worth as much or more than Marner, 2 of them being on the Leafs, an oiler, maybe Doughty, and Karlsson. Pretty much it. Marner has Kane potential and looks like he will be that good. Don't believe me? Ask team Canada's head coach right now at the WHC. He's outplaying Schiefele, ROR, Duchene, MacKinnon, etc.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Marner will probably be the second best Canadian player in the world within a few years, people are delusional if they think there's even a 0.01% chance he gets traded.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
There are only a handful of players worth as much or more than Marner, 2 of them being on the Leafs, an oiler, maybe Doughty, and Karlsson. Pretty much it. Marner has Kane potential and looks like he will be that good. Don't believe me? Ask team Canada's head coach right now at the WHC. He's outplaying Schiefele, ROR, Duchene, MacKinnon, etc.

Call up Pit, Chi, Dal, Stl, Wsh, Wpg. See if they trade their best player for him

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Slam the brakes

I love Mitch.
I wanted us to draft him and was ecstatic when we did.

He had two amazing and dominant OHL years (one pre and one post draft) and did about as well as a rookie winger on a 2nd/3rd line could do given his minutes etc.

Saying that, id trade him for only a handful of players in the NHL right now. He is probably close to being in the top 75 players in the NHL right now IMO. NHL.com Fantasy has him in the top 40.
(https://www.nhl.com/news/fantasy-hockey-top-250-rankings-2017-18/c-281505474)

When you take into account age and everything else, I just cant see him being moved for less than a top pairing RHD who is also young.

Mar 26, 2010
The way you value Leafs players is honestly ridiculous. Most teams would laugh at moving their best player for Marner.

You're team Vancouver does not have a player close to the level of Marner.

Marner > Horvat

And not close.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Call up Pit, Chi, Dal, Stl, Wsh, Wpg. See if they trade their best player for him

If the goal was just to win in the next 2 years, you do make trades with the stars of those teams, yes. But thinking long- term, cap-hit, age etc. I still wouldnt trade Marner for alot of players on those teams. Maybe Only Seguin, Parayko, Laine and Schiefele would be of interest from that group.

If he hits that next level, which could be as soon as next year, Marner instantly becomes one of the best wingers in the game at 20. Then instead of it being "is Marner worth these established young stars ?", it becomes "Marner is worth alot more than these established stars".

Last edited:

mildlyominous

Apr 29, 2014
Ontario
Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Carlson

Or sign or draft, or put a package like Kapanen/Dermott/Brown together for a dman.

Plenty of options for the leafs, which don't include trading away a superstar player hahahhaha:laugh:

I dont want any Capitals player coming over to the leafs that has been part of the "this is our year" generation. Big no to Carlson

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread is like a car crash, some crazy things are being stated here from people on both sides of the fence. Some people need to check the negativity and some need to slow down on the expectations.

1st & last post in this thread, I'm out of here. Yikes

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

the nucks would probably give any 2 players for marner.
there is probably another dozen teams where marner would be the most valuable asset right now as well.

just to counter your list

van,nj, car, SJ, det, and anaheim all say hi

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
the nucks would probably give any 2 players for marner.
there is probably another dozen teams where marner would be the most valuable asset right now as well.

just to counter your list

van,nj, car, SJ, det, and anaheim all say hi

Wouldn't say for sure on ANA. And no, I don't think the Nucks would give Horvat and Boeser lol

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
In the Leafs games I watched this season, Marner was more impressive to me than Matthews, so I don't know why Toronto would move him as there is no real need to do so.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I believe I might one of the few Leaf fans who wouldn't mind trading Marner now. He's coming off a pretty darn good year and currently having a fantastic start with team Canada. His value is through the roof right now (on rookie deal, great first year and big part of team Canada).
My reasoning behind trading him is we all know leafs need a young top 4 Dman they can mold with this young group and they have a strong prospect pool in the forward department. The only way your getting a young Dman is by trading one of your stars.

Would a Marner for Hanifin straight up deal work? Or what other pieces could Marner fetch?

The whole reason the Leafs did not make the playoffs for years was the very reason the team kept trading young assets and first round picks for "help" or "positional need/veteran prescense."

Didn't Leafs fans learn that trading for Phil Kessel was a bad idea when Burke made the move? This was not hindsight, when the trade happened many fans including me were not happy as the Leafs were entering a rebuild stage.

Then Boston ends up trading Tyler Seguin to change things up in the locker room.

George McPhee in Washington needed veteran presence for Washington and trades Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

Then there is that Ryan McDonagh for Scott Gomez deal....get the picture?

How about the Maple Leafs stay the course and use their brain trust to draft the defenseman. Hanafin was drafted by Carolina and not traded for, so the best thing to do is wait to draft these players.

There is no hurry to make any major trades. The big 3 forwards are young and still have many years before hitting prime years. Leafs can afford to be patient.

I know it's been 50 years since the last Stanley Cup, but Leafs fans need to be a little more patience and not set back the franchise yet again by trading away a great young controllable asset in Mitch Marner.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

Nylander, but it's definitely close. Love Marner as well.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Nylander, but it's definitely close. Love Marner as well.

Honestly, the gap between them now is virtually non-existant, it would come down to pure preference. When Nylander moves to center there could be a discussion for Nylander but I wouldn't say it's the case right now.

Initially I thought that Marner was the better prospect, but Nylander turned it up past the halfway mark of this season and was playing lights out. They are both A++ prospects with superstar potential.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marner had mono the last month and a half of the season and his game suffered. Nylander played great the last month and into the playoffs.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
I would never trade marner but you need to make a trade for a top 2 d
Drafting one is great but the leafs are going to be contenders in the next 3 years any dissemination you draft now won't be playing till the
3rd or 4 year and probably be a 5 or 6 d at that time

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
Drafting one is great but the leafs are going to be contenders in the next 3 years any dissemination you draft now won't be playing till the

What if we draft Dahlin next year?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What are with fans of other teams? They want Toronto to pay a premium for guys who are not sure things (Marner for Hanfin... Really? At this stage if they continue their progression this is one of the worst deals of all time).

Then when Leaf fans reasonably say no, we get the "Have fun not winning a cup" and all this. Are we trying to win a cup next year? If it happens ok but they are not accelerating anything.

Who says Rielly can't become a Letang type D? No one knows, the team is still so young, and if they go out in the first round again next year is it a big deal? No, and a move can be made then when everyone is more aware of what the team has.

Plus there are several #1 D approaching UFA. Hell 2 years from now the Leafs might have the choice of Doughty, OEL, Karlsson etc depending on if they go to UFA which all might (If Sens never get closer to the cup and Karlsson wants to go where he feels ownership lets the team win, Doughty not wanting to play for a bottom feeder kings team, OEL wanting stability, etc).

This "You need to make a deal now" thing is so dumb. Hanifin is not worth Marner, and if you disagree, good for you. We'll keep Marner and watch him be a PPG player for years while Hani most likely develops into a nice 2nd pairing D.

If both take huge strides, then maybe we can discuss a deal once Hani has shown he can actually BE a #1 D.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No you don't. Keep drafting and developing. I don't expect the leafs to win the cup in the next 3 years. They still have a lot of holes. I think in about 5 years they should be real cup contenders. They have a few defencemen to work around right now. Hopefully they can sign a very good stay at home D-Man as a stop gap till their own guys are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad