Value of: Mitch Marner

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think John Cooper said it best when explaining Marner's game.

He's skating and one would think there is 1, maybe 2 plays to make, and Marner will come up with option 3 and 4 which you just didn't expect. That's hockey sense you can't teach. That is precisely why he should be untouchable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No you don't. Keep drafting and developing. I don't expect the leafs to win the cup in the next 3 years. They still have a lot of holes. I think in about 5 years they should be real cup contenders. They have a few defencemen to work around right now. Hopefully they can sign a very good stay at home D-Man as a stop gap till their own guys are ready.

5 years? try 2019

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

He's skating and one would think there is 1, maybe 2 plays to make, and Marner will come up with option 3 and 4 which you just didn't expect. That's hockey sense you can't teach. That is precisely why he should be untouchable.

People saying the Leafs turn this down don't watch him. He has top 5 player in the NHL potential rather easily. Just because he's a winger doesn't mean he can't be elite. The value hit people give to wingers on here is insane.

Leafs will keep him if they can't get what they consider fair value. We don't care what other teams think he is worth. Marner had 61 points in 77 games and he was playing injured AND had Mono...

He'll be around PPG next year.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

From the games I watched throughout the season, this was precisely why I liked him more than Matthews. With Matthews, you can kind of see a pattern of his playing style, he's great, but he usually sticks to the same kind of plays (which usually works anyways). Marner, on the other hand, is unpredictable, but not to the point that he leaves his teammates out to dry or completely lost like you'll see with players who don't have his hockey sense.

There are a number of players on the Leafs I wouldn't trade and Marner and Matthews would be at the top of that list.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
From the games I watched throughout the season, this was precisely why I liked him more than Matthews. With Matthews, you can kind of see a pattern of his playing style, he's great, but he usually sticks to the same kind of plays (which usually works anyways). Marner, on the other hand, is unpredictable, but not to the point that he leaves his teammates out to dry or completely lost like you'll see with players who don't have his hockey sense.

There are a number of players on the Leafs I wouldn't trade and Marner and Matthews would be at the top of that list.

This exactly why dont put him with Matthews. Match up nightmare.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
not with that defence. They just barely made the playoffs this year. I'm not talking about making the playoffs in 5 years. I'm talking about being cup contenders every year.

people like to talk like this D core needs a massive upgrade

it doesn't, it needs 1 guy it needs an Alzner or a Shattenkirk or a Fowler or a Vatenan

Gardiner Reilly and Zaitsev is a good start it just needs 1 guy to pull it together

you add any of Alzner or Shattenkirk or Fowler or Vatenan to Toronto's D and the Leafs are contenders, they are that close and they have money to spend so they could further augement their D at the deadline

the Leafs are a D man and a backup goalie away from being contenders

Mar 26, 2010
Marner will probably be the second best Canadian player in the world within a few years, people are delusional if they think there's even a 0.01% chance he gets traded.

Not far off!

Marner is incredible.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Marner will probably be the second best Canadian player in the world within a few years, people are delusional if they think there's even a 0.01% chance he gets traded.

Holy wow. Seguin, Benn, Stamkos, Toews, Subban, Doughty, Crosby, Giroux, Tavares, Pietrangelo, maybe O'Reilly, Monahan, Scheifele. And that doesn't even count guys not in the NHL like Barzal, Patrick etc. He's a magnificent player, but saying he'll be better than all those guys is a little bit ridiculous. Unless you're considering a few years to be 8 years, you're way, way off. Even then, it's pushing it

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
not with that defence. They just barely made the playoffs this year. I'm not talking about making the playoffs in 5 years. I'm talking about being cup contenders every year.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the Leafs can and will make moves to improve the blue line. Shocking I know. It's not going to take 5 years to find 1 or 2 D. They have Zaitsev,Reilly and Gardiner already. Add one or two others and you're legit.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'd offer Myers, Petan, and Brent Kichton for him. A complete second pairing + Marner lite in other words. Anything more would be an overpay.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd offer Myers, Petan, and Brent Kichton for him. A complete second pairing + Marner lite in other words. Anything more would be an overpay.

Cool sounds like a solid deal. We'll take Laine for Bozak, Leipsic, and Valiev too. He'll look great next to Nylander or Matthews for a long time.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Have you ever WATCHED an actual NHL game?!?! That offer for Laine is laughable... welcome to the ignore list.

I love both teams so I can see trades between them objectively... Leafs get horribly robbed in your proposal.

Myers is probably one more hip injury from retirement, so doesn't have much value, and Petan has a lot to prove before being considered a piece in any sort of major trade.

If Winnipeg wanted Marner, they'd have to offer Trouba, and from a Leafs point of view, I'd still be iffy about that trade since Trouba will probably want 10m/year to play for any Canadian team when his current contract expires.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Brenden Kichton doesn't have an NHL game to his name so idk where the other half to this complete second pair is.

At 5'7 and with the same number of career NHL points as Marner has goals, 22 year old Nic Petan is more of a Marner-light than a Marner-lite.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Trying to put value on Marner is just silly because it would take a MASSIVE overpay by the other team to get him. He's a local kid that loves the team, he's a legit first line guy in his first year, and he's on a entry level deal. Other teams should freak out when Toronto fans post a trade offer for Marner because it would take so much value coming back that the other team would be stupid to do it.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
people like to talk like this D core needs a massive upgrade

it doesn't, it needs 1 guy it needs an Alzner or a Shattenkirk or a Fowler or a Vatenan

Gardiner Reilly and Zaitsev is a good start it just needs 1 guy to pull it together

you add any of Alzner or Shattenkirk or Fowler or Vatenan to Toronto's D and the Leafs are contenders, they are that close and they have money to spend so they could further augement their D at the deadline

the Leafs are a D man and a backup goalie away from being contenders

Yes as the young guys get older they will improve but how can you say they are a DMAN and a back up goalie away from being contenders. They barely mad the playoffs. Their overall team defence sucks. Although gardiner had a good offensive season he makes some really bad decisions. Hopefully rielly gets better. I would like to have a guy like shattenkirk but he really isn't needed (I heard his defence has really gone down) with rielly, gardiner and zaitsev having fine offensive years. Alzner I would like(but will get a big pay day). Don't see Anaheim letting go of fowler. Let them steadily get into the playoffs and past the first round before labelling them contenders on 2 - 3 years. They could take a step back like Colorado did.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the Leafs can and will make moves to improve the blue line. Shocking I know. It's not going to take 5 years to find 1 or 2 D. They have Zaitsev,Reilly and Gardiner already. Add one or two others and you're legit.
but they are not just 1 or 2 D away. Their team team defence isn't that good. It isn't that easy to just go out and find another top 4 defence man. If it was they would have had one already. If over the next couple of seasons they can build on their defenceman I will be happy. I won't be upset in 2 years if they aren't contenders and haven't won a cup. I am willing to give them longer then that to build a strong foundation and have youth running through the pipeline. People see a good young team and want to put a label of contenders on them in 2-3 years. Let them keep building. Enjoy the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad