Value of: Mitch Marner

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kane is probably the most elite winger in the game right now, along with Ovechkin and Tarasenko...Marner would have to do a whole lot to be grouped among those 3.

You're reaching pretty hard...if you think future Marner = Kane, no wonder you don't want to trade him. You're also delusional.

Marner scored 61 points as a 19 year old rookie. I don't know anything about him equaling Kane but I see no reason to believe that Marner can't score 80 points at some point in his career.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Thats the thing about Marner, he is looking like he will be a 80-100 point player who also plays a 200 foot game and PK's
To me thats a franchise level player no matter the position.

So basically one of the greatest two way players (Federov type) of all time? Okay.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane is probably the most elite winger in the game right now, along with Ovechkin and Tarasenko...Marner would have to do a whole lot to be grouped among those 3.

You're reaching pretty hard...if you think future Marner = Kane, no wonder you don't want to trade him. You're also delusional.
I think he has that level of potential. He had a rookie season on par with Kane's rookie and sophomore year when you account for league scoring. Forwards development tends to be significantly less erratic. He can pretty comfortably develop into a top 10 winger in the league and has the potential to be in that upper echelon. Kane as a rookie averaged a point every 20 minutes and 55 seconds and in his sophomore year averaged a point every 21 minutes and 19 seconds. Marner at a comparable age put up a point every 21 minutes and 13 seconds.

You claimed number 1 centers are less valuable than number 1 d. Which simply isn't true. Teams have won the cup without a true number 1 d (and 2 of the 4 teams left don't really have one), as pointed out with Carolina. 3 of the 4 teams left all have bonafide #1 centers.

I'm far from delusional. I'm not saying he will be Kane, but he has that level of potential. I never said Marner equaled Kane, you are creating a strawman.

Last edited:

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
No, he didn't...you named three great centers and a great winger (Kane)...I named six #1 defensemen. All great because there's really not that many #1D in this league. Maybe 15 at the most right now? I can name 40 top 6 wingers in the game right now (including Marner) for you if you really really need me to.

I was just naming top line forwards from the same Stanley Cup winning teams you posted your Defense list from. Saying the teams won the cup based solely on the #1 D or Top line forwards on the team is foolish and short sighted.

edit: a good example of this is Montreal this year. #1 D in Weber but maybe only some borderline topline forwards and they haven't really had any major playoff success.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was just naming top line forwards from the same Stanley Cup winning teams you posted your Defense list from. Saying the teams won the cup based solely on the #1 D or Top line forwards on the team is foolish and short sighted.

edit: a good example of this is Montreal this year. #1 D in Weber but maybe only some borderline topline forwards and they haven't really had any major playoff success.
Weber isn't a #1D anymore. He's good on the powerplay and is physical. Habs got robbed in that trade.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Marner scored 61 points as a 19 year old rookie. I don't know anything about him equaling Kane but I see no reason to believe that Marner can't score 80 points at some point in his career.

Mitch marner was always one of my favorite prospect still love this player and might end up in my favorite player... but cmon, Patrick kane... maybe he'll score end up with similar points but Peak Kane will always be superior to Marner. people always thought it was about toews. Chicago is NOTHING without Kanes hands and hockey IQ is just off the roof.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Mitch marner was always one of my favorite prospect still love this player and might end up in my favorite player... but cmon, Patrick kane... maybe he'll score end up with similar points but Peak Kane will always be superior to Marner. people always thought it was about toews. Chicago is NOTHING without Kanes hands and hockey IQ is just off the roof.

I legitimately do not understand what's so blasphemous about this comparison. Same position, similar size, similar skill set, similar adjusted 19 year old production. And don't call it homerism; if Jonathan Drouin had Marner's rookie season I'd say the same thing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I legitimately do not understand what's so blasphemous about this comparison. Same position, similar size, similar skill set, similar adjusted 19 year old production. And don't call it homerism; if Jonathan Drouin had Marner's rookie season I'd say the same thing.
Yeah, they aren't carbon copies. Kane will probably always remain the better skater and shooter, while Marner plays with more grit and is more defensively aware. In my opinion, Marner skill set resides in between Kane and Claude Giroux. Better skating and shots than Giroux at comparable stages, but has better intangibles/shift to shift intensity than Kane did.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I don't understand why it is absurd to compare Marner to Kane but it seems perfectly reasonable for everyone in this thread to say that Provonov and Werenski are going to be the next Chara or Keith.

Marners pedigree is every bit that of Provonov's or Wernieski and his rookie season was every bit as impressive as theirs. Their values are all as close to = at this point as you can get and I doubt that any of their respective teams would trade them for the other at this point. The Leafs passed over Wernieski and Provonov to draft Marner. If you think anything has happened to this point to make them regret that you're wrong.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan, I would definitely not deal Marner. Kid has insane skill and great hustle, a very rare combination. Re: the Kane comparisons, he's not quite there skill wise, but isn't too far off - he's one of the most talented smaller wingers we've seen since Kane. Also has an edge on young Kane in terms of hustle and 2-way play. I definitely think he has "franchise winger" potential, and if Nylander moves back to centre, Marner will be our only truly high end young winger.

Having 3+ elite forwards makes a team damn hard to handle - just look at Crosby/Malkin/Kessel and Toews/Kane/Hossa. If we dealt Marner, and our forwards became more "Matthews, Nylander and supporting players", I think we become much easier to stop offensively. We don't need to make any crazy moves for a mega star dman, we just need a solid 2D to complement the 1, 3 and 4 Ds that we already have (Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev). We need a Tanev type, and we can and should get a player like that without giving up any of Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Pieces like Kapanen, JvR, 1st round picks, etc. can be on the table, but not Matthews/Marner/Nylander, these 3 are the core of our team going forward.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Kane is a phenomenal player no doubt. Is it possible that any player could ever hope to reach his stature?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
but cmon, Patrick kane... maybe he'll score end up with similar points but Peak Kane will always be superior to Marner.

Would you think Kane was a better player if he didn't get as many points but had a little more work ethic on the backcheck and was a better player in the defensive zone? Honest question.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Marner is making believers out of team Canada players and coaches. High praise for a guy who just turned 20. They love his skill but they love his personality too.

Cooper is glowing in his praise for marner.

Just watch the kid he loves the game. He loses a tooth and has a fat lip. His attitude - now I look like a hockey player.

He's not going anywhere

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is untouchable. This thread is hilarious.

It would take your teams best player to even think about moving Marner.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Marner is untouchable. This thread is hilarious.

It would take your teams best player to even think about moving Marner.

The way you value Leafs players is honestly ridiculous. Most teams would laugh at moving their best player for Marner.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
they wouldn't, but philly would never offer it

Of course they would. Marner is much better than Provorov.

Just take a look at Marner in the past couple weeks at the WHC. He's the best player on team Canada, on a team with Schiefele, ROR, Duchene, MacKinnon, etc. And he's still so raw with this skating and shooting. He's right up there as one of the most valuable assets in the league. Has dominated at every level he's played (unlike Provorov at the memorial cup) and had a terrific rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad