Value of: Mitch Marner

DrakeBlake

Feb 18, 2015
I believe I might one of the few Leaf fans who wouldn't mind trading Marner now. He's coming off a pretty darn good year and currently having a fantastic start with team Canada. His value is through the roof right now (on rookie deal, great first year and big part of team Canada).
My reasoning behind trading him is we all know leafs need a young top 4 Dman they can mold with this young group and they have a strong prospect pool in the forward department. The only way your getting a young Dman is by trading one of your stars.

Would a Marner for Hanifin straight up deal work? Or what other pieces could Marner fetch?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I believe I might one of the few Leaf fans who wouldn't mind trading Marner now. He's coming off a pretty darn good year and currently having a fantastic start with team Canada. His value is through the roof right now (on rookie deal, great first year and big part of team Canada).
My reasoning behind trading him is we all know leafs need a young top 4 Dman they can mold with this young group and they have a strong prospect pool in the forward department. The only way your getting a young Dman is by trading one of your stars.

Would a Marner for Hanifin straight up deal work? Or what other pieces could Marner fetch?

Hanifin will be a good young defenseman, but I don't see the offensive upside in him.

If the Leafs are thinking about trading Marner they are going big game hunting.

DrakeBlake

Feb 18, 2015
With Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. I don't think leafs are too concerned with offensive upside to be honest. They just want someone who is young and well rounded

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
With Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. I don't think leafs are too concerned with offensive upside to be honest. They just want someone who is young and well rounded

They're not trading Marner for a stay at home defenseman. The player would have to be two-way with very good offensive production. Otherwise I don't see the motivation.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I would only move Marner for a Provorov or Werenski type defenseman. Both I feel bring more to the game then Hanifin. Seeing how Columbus isn't moving Werenski and I doubt Philly trades Provorov, there really isn't a trade to be made

mayfield7

Jan 19, 2016
They drafted Marner over Hanifin, and have (so far) been proven right on that decision. They won't abandon that now.

It seems highly unlikely they deal him. Not saying it's impossible if the right young dman is offered, but it'll take a perfect storm.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would only move Marner for a Provorov or Werenski type defenseman. Both I feel bring more to the game then Hanifin. Seeing how Columbus isn't moving Werenski and I doubt Philly trades Provorov, there really isn't a trade to be made

This is the type of defenseman i'm talking about.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If there's a trade to be made with Philly regarding Provorov, I would definitely do that trade, regardless of how much I love Marner. Having a stud #1 defenseman like Provorov to go along with our core I think would have a greater impact then Marner.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

Pretty equal. Gun to my head, Nylander. Other Leaf fans would probably say Nylander, some would say Marner.

Mar 26, 2010

Willy Nylander easily.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

They're pretty even but I'd say Nylander, able to play C position, better shot, better defensively (positionally, Marner has more hustle but tends to float a bit more), and Willy just has a "swag" to him. Still a huge fan of Marner though

Both will be key parts in our future, and neither will be moved

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Or we could move JVR and Bozak for picks and continue to throw darts at draft picks in the first 2 rounds until we pick our own top end defenseman. I have the utmost faith in our scouting department. Best, most economical way to get a top end defenseman is to draft them like everyone else. Only way Marner is moved is if it is an absolute no brainer.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Or we could move JVR and Bozak for picks and continue to throw darts at draft picks in the first 2 rounds until we pick our own top end defenseman. I have the utmost faith in our scouting department. Best, most economical way to get a top end defenseman is to draft them like everyone else. Only way Marner is moved is if it is an absolute no brainer.

This x1000

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Clone Matthews and you have a deal to trade Marner. :)

Like another poster said, Marner is part of the core moving forward and a huge part at that. With the top 3 Dmen we currently have, we can be a cup contender one day without a outright #1 (if Rielly does not pan out as a #1 which he still might) so with that lets see what Dermott and a few others on the Marlies can bring and of course we should be open to trading for another #2-3 but not by selling off one of our big 3.

Kapanen is great trade bait but man, he has upped his game so much in the last year it would really sting to see him go as well but he might be the one to have to go to help upgrade the D even though I hope Lou finds another way.

mcdavid or nope.

Mar 26, 2010

I agree with this.

Nylander or Marner will not be traded.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
it's so annoying. Why do we have to trade any of the three?

I don't see them trading any of Nylander, Matthews or Marner. The only way they are not leafs forever is if they walk in UFA to be honest. They are just too valuable to the organization. The leafs will be patient and either draft their dman in 2018 or acquire through UFA. I don't see trading for one as an option for the club

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why not keep Marner (the best player on the team) and sign Alzner as a free agent?
Myers and this year's 13th overall for Marner???

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
0% chance Marner is moved unless the return is insanely insane. I wouldn't trade Marner for Provorov or Werenski even though I think they'll be really good top-pairing D-men. Marner is a franchise talent to me. We have other pieces to trade (numerous great prospects Fs(Kappy, Bracco, Grundstrom, Leipsic, Timashov, etc), many draft picks stockpiled, etc).

Stay patient with the rebuild my friend. We just finished year 2, next year will be year 3. 5 year plan remember. That stud #1D or whatever will join our Rielly/Gardiner/Zaistev group soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad