Value of: Mitch Marner

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Oh right, another guy the leafs had the chance to pick but liked marner more than.

this is silly. leafs obviously did their homework on marner, hanifin,provorov and werenski. they took mitch. he looks like he is gonna be a star. only werenski has established himself as much of an impact player as marner. hanifin in particular looks lost

Hanifin came along nicely later in the year. Defenseman take longer to develop too, that's not rocket science.

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
You keep bashing the sens, I'm not a sens fan.

And top pairing defensemen are more valuable than top line centers, there are definitely more #1Cs in this league than there are 1st pairing defensemen.

2 out of the last 13 Conn Smythe winners were defensemen. Unless you take into account the quality of the players holding the position throwing the blanket statement of #1 C's vs D's is really useless.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
A rookie had more points than the entire Sens team minus Karlsson/Hoffman in the regular season. I'd be trying to downplay anything leafs related if I were a Sens fan these days too... Hopefully Karlsson can carry them to a cup this year...

Ottawa is in the ECF....

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You keep bashing the sens, I'm not a sens fan.

And top pairing defensemen are more valuable than top line centers, there are definitely more #1Cs in this league than there are 1st pairing defensemen.

Is this thread about Marner? Or Centers Vs Defensemen? Just wondering... Marner isn't even a Center.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He's a habs fan, makes it a little more funnier to be honest lol.

Marner isn't going anywhere, even for Werenski. The kid is incredible. He's going to be a corner stone for this team for the next decade+.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A rookie had more points than the entire Sens team minus Karlsson/Hoffman in the regular season. I'd be trying to downplay anything leafs related if I were a Sens fan these days too... Hopefully Karlsson can carry them to a cup this year...
He's a Habs fan.

I wouldn't trade Marner for either Werenski or Provorov (not that I expect Philly to do the same), the development of defenceman is insanely rocky. Actually, most rookie defenders who get nominated for the Calder don't have a season that replicates their first one offensively for another 5 years after. Pretty much all defenders who get nominated for the Calder are so dependent on secondary assists and the production of others, they find it extremely difficult to replicate it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
2 out of the last 13 Conn Smythe winners were defensemen. Unless you take into account the quality of the players holding the position throwing the blanket statement of #1 C's vs D's is really useless.

And almost every cup winner had a #1D, which the Leafs don't have...you won't get far with Rielly considering he's not a #1D.

So look at the #1Ds on the recent cup winners that carried their teams dense, going back to 10 years...is a first line winger like Marner (assuming he maintains 60pts+ a season) worth any of them?

I'm talking Keith, Letang, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermayer.

Top pairing defensemen are definitely more valuable than first line wingers...I'm not saying Werenski and Provorov will end up like any of the defensemen mentioned above, but they clearly are on track to becoming top pairing defensemen.

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
And almost every cup winner had a #1D, which the Leafs don't have...you won't get far with Rielly considering he's not a #1D.

So look at the #1Ds on the recent cup winners that carried their teams dense, going back to 10 years...is a first line winger like Marner (assuming he maintains 60pts+ a season) worth any of them?

Top pairing defensemen are definitely more valuable than first line wingers...I'm not saying Werenski and Provorov will end up like any of the defensemen mentioned above, but they clearly are on track to becoming top pairing defensemen.

Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kopitar, Carter, Bergeron, Datsyuk, Zetterberg.

Can go both ways :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

#1 centers are more important than number 1 d in building a cup contender. Carolina didn't have a number 1 d, but had Eric Staal. Anaheim is the closest team not to do it with a #1C but they had a breaking through Getzlaf and Andy MacDonald.

We think Marner can be a Kane level winger, a playmaking top 3 winger in the league. Those guys like Kane and MSL have been pretty damn important in cup runs. Other high-end wingers of the sniping variety such as Kessel and Selanne were damn important for their teams.

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
I agree...

#1D/#1C > 1st line winger (Kane is the exception on that list)

And I agree with that as well. But Elite 1st line players can be just as important as a top defenseman regardless of position. (which is the point I was trying to make)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
#1 centers are more important than number 1 d in building a cup contender. Carolina didn't have a number 1 d, but had Eric Staal. Anaheim is the closest team not to do it with a #1C but they had a breaking through Getzlaf and Andy MacDonald.

We think Marner can be a Kane level winger, a playmaking top 3 winger in the league. Those guys like Kane and MSL have been pretty damn important in cup runs. Other high-end wingers of the sniping variety such as Kessel and Selanne were damn important for their teams.

Kane is probably the most elite winger in the game right now, along with Ovechkin and Tarasenko...Marner would have to do a whole lot to be grouped among those 3.

You're reaching pretty hard...if you think future Marner = Kane, no wonder you don't want to trade him. You're also delusional.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I agree...

#1D/#1C > 1st line winger (Kane is the exception on that list)

Thats the thing about Marner, he is looking like he will be a 80-100 point player who also plays a 200 foot game and PK's
To me thats a franchise level player no matter the position.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think you missed the post I quoted...

No, he didn't...you named three great centers and a great winger (Kane)...I named six #1 defensemen. All great because there's really not that many #1D in this league. Maybe 15 at the most right now? I can name 40 top 6 wingers in the game right now (including Marner) for you if you really really need me to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad