Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 5 (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wouldn't you agree the RFA market has changed since 2011 when Kane signed his deal coming off ELC? And it's not just how the Leafs are overpaying, RFAs across the league are getting paid far more as a percentage of total cap in the last few years.

I would have agreed with you after Nylander's, but we may be witnessing a bit of a reversal - look at guys like Teravainen and Meier who have helped to bring the bar back down after the Nylander deal seemed to solidify the paradigm change.

P Kane got 11% of the cap in 2010. Coming out of his ELC he was seen as a talented yet "one dimensional" undersized winger and had yet to establish himself as the clutch playoff performer he is today.

Draisaitl, a big bodied centerman coming off an excellent contract and dominant playoffs, secured a similar cap hit %, and I'd say at the time they were seen as roughly equivalent coming out of their ELC.

Obviously McDavid and Eichel deals exceed that of Kane, but their reputation as generational / franchise C's helped to bolster their case as being more valuable than Kane (and in Eichel's case, his 'impressive" size and athleticism - plus, it's quite evident in Eichel's case that he was forced to do a lot more on his own vs guys like Kane and Stamkos).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's great that you are shifting the goal posts of the discussion I was having. I can safely assume you are a believer in contracts for guys like Clarkson.
Are you trying to say that Clarkson's contract year was good? He scored at a 40p pace and was paid 8.2% of the cap, 5.25M over 7 years lol.

He was paid for the year before (30g 48 points), which was clearly a mistake, as he was very obviously carried by Elias and an unsustainable sh% for a player of his skill. Adjusting for sh% would have him at 20g. Adjusting for being carried by Elias would probably have had him at 10g.

The Clarkson contract is one of the reasons you shouldn't put much weight into previous years. Evaluate the play from their contract season, take into account things like PDO and linemates, and you'll do fine.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I would have agreed with you after Nylander's, but we may be witnessing a bit of a reversal - look at guys like Teravainen and Meier who have helped to bring the bar back down after the Nylander deal seemed to solidify the paradigm change.
Actually, what this proves is that more than just the final year is considered when determining contract value. Both had significantly less productive prior seasons.

You also clearly don't understand the structure of the Meier contract. There's a reason he has a 10 mil base salary in his final year.

Obviously McDavid and Eichel deals exceed that of Kane, but their reputation as generational / franchise C's helped to bolster their case as being more valuable than Kane (and in Eichel's case, his 'impressive" size and athleticism - plus, it's quite evident in Eichel's case that he was forced to do a lot more on his own vs guys like Kane and Stamkos).
Boy, sure sounds like somebody else...

Weird how context comes into play all of a sudden...

Are you trying to say that Clarkson's contract year was good? He scored at a 40p pace and was paid 8.2% of the cap, 5.25M over 7 years lol.

He was paid for the year before (30g 48 points), which was clearly a mistake
Clarkson played every possible game in his contract year and scored at a 26 goal pace. He was not solely paid for the year before. This actually further proves that multiple years are considered when determining contract value, because there is no way he gets that based on just the one season.

Though I am quite amused by the fact that once presented with a contract that didn't fit your narrative, despite spending the thread arguing that only the final contract year matters, your mind instantly went to "they based the contract on solely some random year before the contract year" instead of the much more likely reality.

Another case of arguing against yourself to avoid admitting you were wrong.

take into account things like PDO and linemates, and you'll do fine.
Why do linemates suddenly matter when you weren't accounting for them before?

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

P Kane got 11% of the cap in 2010. Coming out of his ELC he was seen as a talented yet "one dimensional" undersized winger and had yet to establish himself as the clutch playoff performer he is today.

Draisaitl, a big bodied centerman coming off an excellent contract and dominant playoffs, secured a similar cap hit %, and I'd say at the time they were seen as roughly equivalent coming out of their ELC.

Regardless your attempts to say otherwise, the escalation in RFA contracts started with started with Draisatl and Eichel, not Nylander.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Both Draisaitl and Eichel had their deals pretty much imposed on them by McDavid.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Alright, judging by this thread, this saga has officially jumped the shark.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
For example, of the 1,098 minutes that Stamkos played without St. Louis, 889 of them came in his rookie year. You’re essentially comparing his performance in his rookie year to his performance in his other two seasons.

I am just going to respond to this because it is not true at all. Stamkos played 490 minutes away from St Louis in years 2 and 3 - and yes his productions still dropped quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
well it's pretty obvious no GM is giving up 4 first rounders
none of them will get that offer
now u may see a trade but never a deal for 4 first rounder s
none are McDavid
marner like laine point and rantanen are in a corner
actually AHO might have got the best deal
Really ? I bet all four of those guys could get ahos deal today if that's what they want tbh .

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Interesting. So following that logic, you believe David Pastrnak was GROSSLY overpaid compared to Nylander. In Pastrnak's 2 seasons preceding his contract, he was the 19th highest producing player at his position yet signed the 6th highest paying contract in the league at his position, including all UFA aged players at his position.

And he was 5th in scoring among RWs in his contract year. Obviously, teams place some additional weight on the contract year. It’s best to take both into account.

Oh reeeeeallly?

Where were you in the whole discussion about Marner getting 9m after a 69 point season, and that affecting other contracts then? You conveniently disappeared until you came back to take shots at me and boost up the guy arguing against your own position.

I assume you agree that paying Marner 9m last offseason after a 69 point season would have been beyond stupid, right?

Oh, so context matters now, when the numbers don't say what you want them to say.

Maybe, just maybe, having consistent elite production throughout an ELC regardless of linemates and role is an important aspect of Matthews that is ignored when people only look at Marner's production in 1 year with a linemate many times better than anybody Matthews has played with to determine his contract valuation.

I definitely know one thing this thread would be far more civil without.

Yes, I agree that paying Marner $9M/8Y last off-season would have been a stupid idea at the time. It would look like a genius move now with the power of hindsight, but it would’ve looked pretty dumb at the time.

The “context” here is stuff that you and other Maple Leafs fans have brought up - linemates. I’m just applying additional context to that context, since the information itself presents a false narrative without it. Stamkos’ production in his rookie year without MSL on the ice is the largest driving factor of the variance in those splits, and his production in that year simply isn’t all that relevant to what he was paid as a Rocket winner with two top-5 scoring finishes.

I can agree that Matthews’ ability to maintain his elite scoring rates with any linemate is something that shouldn’t be ignored and something that was probably taken into account when signing his contract. But it’s not nearly enough to explain the major discrepancy between his contract and Stamkos’. Linemates don’t factor into contract negotiations nearly as much as Leafs fans in this thread are saying they do. They’re a consideration but not remotely enough to pay a 69 point player 25% more than a Rocket winner with two top-5 scoring finishes.

In Marner’s case, I definitely think it’s a concern that his production has only been elite with Tavares. But remember, he matched Tavares’ 5-on-5 scoring rate, and his primary scoring rate exceeded that of Tavares and any other player in the NHL. You also have to consider that Tavares’ scoring rate of 2.87 P/60 was more than 20% higher than it had been in any other season of his career. This is a 28 year old center who had never finished in the top-10 in 5-on-5 P/60, and in his first season with Mitch Marner, he finished 3rd. You don’t think that is strong evidence that Marner is an elite offensive driver in his own right?

Again, you keep subtly flaming people and then telling yourself that somebody else is the reason the thread isn’t civil. I’ve never personally attacked anybody in this thread, and never once trolled or flamed anybody because that really isn’t my intention in this thread. Criticizing Kyle Dubas or Auston Matthews isn’t flaming even if it manages to offend some people.

I am just going to respond to this because it is not true at all. Stamkos played 490 minutes away from Stamkos in years 2 and 3 - and yes his productions still dropped quite a bit.

Yes, I must have made a mistake somewhere there.

In reality, Stamkos played 1,097 minutes without MSL on his ELC. 607 of those minutes - 55% of them - came in his rookie year. I think I accidentally used MSL’s TOI without Stamkos in 2008-2009.

However, the fact is that Stamkos played over 600 minutes without MSL in his rookie year, and then less than 500 without him in the following two years. Him suffering a drop in production in the aggregate of all 3 seasons makes sense since he played most of them when he was an inferior player. Him suffering a drop in production in his minutes without MSL in years 2/3 is something that most star players with star linemates go through when they are separated from their star teammate with whom they have the most chemistry and when the sample isn’t that large without them. It isn’t automatically an indictment of their performance or their abilities or a sign that they’re being carried. It’s not remotely enough to suggest that a player deserves a huge decrease in pay because of it.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Extending marner long term sure would have been bold vs giving him a prove it year. That tends to be the only way you can extend someone long term early tho.

Overpay at the time and trust your scouts / your gut / the salary cap going up that the player will outperform it.

I guess no-one really expected contracts to go a bit crazy over a year either tho.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Regardless your attempts to say otherwise, the escalation in RFA contracts started with started with Draisatl and Eichel, not Nylander.

Draisaitl and Eichel (and McDavid) actually represent a suppression of RFA deals relative to previous stars

2001 1st overall Kovalchuk 16.41 x 5
2002 1st overall Nash- 13.85 x 5
2003 2nd overall Staal 10.34 x 3
2004 1st overall Ovechkin 16.82 x 13
2004 2nd overall Malkin 15.34 x 5
2005 1st overall Crosby 17.3 x 5
2006 3rd overall Toews 11.09 x 5
2007 1st overall Kane 11.09 x 5
2008 1st overall Stamkos 11.66 x 5

Then the game changes, Tavares takes a team friendly deal + stars start taking backdiving deal with ridiculous av's for their value

2009 1st overall Tavares 8.55 x 6
2010 1st overall Hall 10 x 7

Followed by three drafts where no one really earned star status by the end of the ELC, followed by McDavid taking a bath relative to his peers and setting a low ceiling for everyone else

Reactions: Seanaconda

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
As I sit at McDonald's eating my egg mcmuffin this morning I'm hearing from my source that Marner should sign an OS by lunchtime. Ba da da da da....... he's signing it.

Please believe me this time.......

Paul Dreger

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The “context” here is stuff that you and other Maple Leafs fans have brought up - linemates.
And something that you consistently ignored until it fit your narrative to discuss it.

But it’s not nearly enough to explain the major discrepancy between his contract and Stamkos’.
Wonder why you suddenly started using only Stamkos when it's the least relevant example and the biggest outlier for obvious reasons...

Linemates don’t factor into contract negotiations nearly as much as Leafs fans in this thread are saying they do.
According to you, with no evidence to support it.

a 69 point player
???

You don’t think that is strong evidence that Marner is an elite offensive driver in his own right?
Never said he wasn't. I think this is evidence that when 2 elite players play together, production and play is significantly different than when one elite player plays by himself, and this needs to be accounted for, especially when trying to determine contract value solely off of one outlier season.

I’ve never personally attacked anybody in this thread, and never once trolled or flamed anybody
Untrue.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just give him AM money Dubas... Its quite obvious that it is gonna happen.

Quicker it happens, the quicker every second of every sports show on TV can start talking about something else.

Atleast the Kawhi Leonard situation gave everyone a break for a few days!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But it’s not nearly enough to explain the major discrepancy between his contract and Stamkos’.

Have you considered that maybe you should flip the analysis and take a look at the Stamkos contract?

A. He looks underpaid relative to the All-star level top picks that came before him
B. When up for UFA he signed well under his in year peers (8.5 vs. Benn's 9.5 and Kopitar's 10)
C. Tampa has built a known history of getting player's less than they're worth

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Have you considered that maybe you should flip the analysis and take a look at the Stamkos contract?

A. He looks underpaid relative to the All-star level top picks that came before him
B. When up for UFA he signed well under his in year peers (8.5 vs. Benn's 9.5 and Kopitar's 10)
C. Tampa has built a known history of getting player's less than they're worth
Seems to me that people love to ignore Stamkos regarding Matthews but will cite kucherov with Marner.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Seems to me that people love to ignore Stamkos regarding Matthews but will cite kucherov with Marner.
Kucherov is a pretty horrible comparable for Marner too.

He at least plays the same position, so in that sense he's better than 90% of the comparables people have been using, but Kucherov was a UFA, is in a no-tax state, and had proven infinitely more than Marner has.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Kucherov is a terrible comp for Marner and shouldn't be used, the best part is there's arguments from both sides - both suppression and "pay him what he's worth"

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Kucherov is a terrible comp for Marner and shouldn't be used, the best part is there's arguments from both sides - both suppression and "pay him what he's worth"
I can see why leafs fans would want to use kucherov. He took a bargain contract as basically an Ufa (1rfa year) , and marner has no claim to being anywhere near as good as he is . So it's an easy if kucherov took 9.5 marner should get like 7 or something .

(Idk what leaf fans want him to take tbh )

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
say marner comes in at 10.5.. interesting way to ask it two different ways.

is Marner 3.5 million better than nylander?
is Marner 1 million less better than matthews

which sounds more reasonable?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I can see why leafs fans would want to use kucherov. He took a bargain contract as basically an Ufa (1rfa year) , and marner has no claim to being anywhere near as good as he is . So it's an easy if kucherov took 9.5 marner should get like 7 or something .

(Idk what leaf fans want him to take tbh )

I see no problem with scaling things similarly to Staal/Kane
ie. ~8-8.5 x 3 , 9-9.5 x 5

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kucherov is a pretty horrible comparable for Marner too.

He at least plays the same position, so in that sense he's better than 90% of the comparables people have been using, but Kucherov was a UFA, is in a no-tax state, and had proven infinitely more than Marner has.
Back up....stamkos is a ufa in a no tax state. He has proven infinitely more than Matthews has.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
say marner comes in at 10.5.. interesting way to ask it two different ways.

is Marner 3.5 million better than nylander?
is Marner 1 million less better than matthews

which sounds more reasonable?

Marner is probably not 3.5m (50%) better than Nylander in the future. Not because Marner is bad, but because Nylander is still a very good hockey player. (Don't @ me)

Matthews is well over 1 million better than Marner.

I'd put Marner square in the middle between the two in an ideal world. 9.5m x 5, 10.5 would need at least 7 years term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad