Speculation: Mitch Marner #14 - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That's kinda absurd that Marner would say no to 7 years at $11 million, that seems like a perfectly reasonable offer from the Leafs.

Apparently he doesn't mind the 11 mill part but just wants less years than 7

Who knows if it's true, just a rumor they were discussing on tv

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So apparently Leafs now offering 11 mill over 7 years? Marner camp said Nope

Cmon Dubas just give him an AM contract.. we all know itll happen. Get this chaos over with!

if there were even a hint of truth to this, Dubas need to play hardball, and say sign, or you sit the year, or I trade you; pick one. ...and then regardless of what he picks, trade him to make an example that one player is not more important than the team!

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
if there were even a hint of truth to this, Dubas need to play hardball, and say sign, or you sit the year, or I trade you; pick one. ...and then regardless of what he picks, trade him to make an example that one player is not more important than the team!

Ya...great strategy. Make an example of a possible top 10 player in the league. The day that happens is the day the Leafs start their descent back to the standings basement.

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio

He should of made an example of Nylander then. Marner is following the path his peers (Nylander, AM) paved for him and Dubas laid that foundation. He sure can make an example out of Marner but the leafs will be a worse team and what's he really accomplishing? A hard contract negotiation with the next line of RFA's like Liljegren and Kapanen?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Marner waves 15 million dollars this year goodbye and the Leafs wave goodbye to a chance at competing because Marner's camp has the biggest case of little man's syndrome ever. "Not good enough to be the highest paid winger in the league I need to be the highest paid player cause respek!!"

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If he doesn't take 11 x 7 sit him the season. That's already an extremely generous offer
how can we even afford it?, when Hyman and Dermott are on IR its doable to run a 22 man roster but when everyone is healthy the best I can do with Marner at 11 is a 20 man roster

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Well, this is how I'm feeling after the ludicrous information coming out over the last 24h.
3 year bridge ending with a 12+m QO for year 4? Shoot me

Turning down an 11x7, making you the highest paid winger in the NHL by a million bucks, despite having won 0 personal awards and having no playoff success? Yup, I'm out.

Cant name a captain because he might get offended?

Love Mitch, but ya cant let one little babies bruised ego derail an entire team.

Dubas needs to feel the Leaf fan support to do whatevers in the best interest of the team, I including trade the kid. Here is a petition, sign it if your as fed up as I am.

Trade Marner

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He can't sign right now even if both sides agree. Leafs don't have any money. The only way he can attend camp is if he pays his own insurance and he isn't going to do that. They have to wait until October 2nd to sign Mitch. Thats when the LTIR money will kick in. So don't expect anything for 3 more weeks.
Yup - and even then I'm not certain how much will be available (the LTIR $$$ is sorta strange).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He should of made an example of Nylander then. Marner is following the path his peers (Nylander, AM) paved for him and Dubas laid that foundation. He sure can make an example out of Marner but the leafs will be a worse team and what's he really accomplishing? A hard contract negotiation with the next line of RFA's like Liljegren and Kapanen?
Kapanen signed in July, but
Liljegreni is coming up soon. Dubas will probably sign him as well.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Because it obviously would be better to have Matthew's and Marner unsigned then just Marner. Marner isnt Matthew's.

Dubas should've played a lil'hardball with Matthews...Instead of handing over more $$$ than what Tavares got - Dubas should've kept it in the$9 to $10 million range with Matthews.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dubas should've played a lil'hardball with Matthews...Instead of handing over more $$$ than what Tavares got - Dubas should've kept it in the$9 to $10 million range with Matthews.
9 was literally never going to happen with Matthew's...ever. Dubas caved on the term in order to have Matthews signed and not have to deal with the potential offer sheets that would have had to been matched(could have been even less team friendly then the current deal) and to have him at camp ready to go. Do I think the Matthew's deal is great? Absolutely not but it is far better then him not signed at all or having accepted an offer sheet at a 13 million aav.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Ya...great strategy. Make an example of a possible top 10 player in the league. The day that happens is the day the Leafs start their descent back to the standings basement.
the leafs will not lose a step by trading Marner, and may be better depending on the return.
Nylander was a Dubas error, and Dubas admitted it, because he could have got the same deal signed way earlier.
Marner's requests are unreasonable, and the extra baggage are what kill locker rooms. and this will be the new beginning of a bad situation.
Matthews wanted a max term deal, but the Leafs couldnt sign him to an 8 year deal because they had to leave $$ for Marner's demands.

Matthews vs Marner is an easy pick, and Marner does not in any way deserve Mathews $$

the team doesnt need prima donnas

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
9 was literally never going to happen with Matthew's...ever. Dubas caved on the term in order to have Matthews signed and not have to deal with the potential offer sheets that would have had to been matched(could have been even less team friendly then the current deal) and to have him at camp ready to go. Do I think the Matthew's deal is great? Absolutely not but it is far better then him not signed at all or having accepted an offer sheet at a 13 million aav.
With Matthews shoulder injury issues in 2 outta his 3 seasons - I'm not sure if many teams would be willing to give up that much in the form of an offer sheet, but I've been wrong before.

Issues with Marner is not surprising considering what he had accomplished thus far in his young career...Dubas has his work cut out for himself.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
While I think it's reasonable for team Marner to wait until the last minute to sign to see if Dubas bumps his offer up - if their ask isn't met it will be interesting to see if they follow through with sitting into the season.

If he doesn't sign by early October he is a madman. He will have to go. Leafs reported offers are already overpays. Take the cap space and move on with improving the team this season. Be patient and see what opportunities present themselves. Be active at the TDL.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
the leafs will not lose a step by trading Marner, and may be better depending on the return.
Nylander was a Dubas error, and Dubas admitted it, because he could have got the same deal signed way earlier.
Marner's requests are unreasonable, and the extra baggage are what kill locker rooms. and this will be the new beginning of a bad situation.
Matthews wanted a max term deal, but the Leafs couldnt sign him to an 8 year deal because they had to leave $$ for Marner's demands.

Matthews vs Marner is an easy pick, and Marner does not in any way deserve Mathews $$

the team doesnt need prima donnas
You already have them...If the Leafs don't win the Cup in the spring of 2020 - I'm not sure if/when they'll ever have a deep enough roster to do so...The situation on D will be a big concern next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad