Miro Heiskanen vs Quinn Hughes vs Rasmus Dahlin?

Who would you want on your team?

• Miro Heiskanen

Votes: 113 31.0%
  • Quinn Hughes

Votes: 122 33.4%
  • Rasmus Dahlin

Votes: 130 35.6%

• Total voters

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Realistically Heiskanen is probably the best choice, but I went with Hughes cause I love watching him play. Top tier skater of all time.

Solid poll btw, pretty even. We need more polls like this.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
They all add something to the table. All are excellent young defenseman.

It’s too tough to choose. I’ve been going over it my head and there are so many pros to choosing each guy. If my goal is to sell tickets, it’s Quinn Hughes.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
That was a long time ago and he was still a defensive liability back then

Hughes being a defensive liability is completely overblown.

In that playoffs, Hughes stats:

CF%: 55.2%
FF%: 54.7%
CFRel: 19.7%
FFRel: 18.6%

In that playoffs, Conn Smyth winner Victor Hedman's stats:

CF%: 56.6%
FF%: 56.6%
CFRel: 3.6%
FFRel: 3.8%

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
By what measure?

Heiskanen's CFRel this season is 13.4, Hughes' lowest is 11.8, his second lowest is 14.3.

Heiskanen's FFRel this season is 12.3, Hughes' lowest is 11.3, excluding the season where he played 5 games, his second lowest is 12.9, but if you do it's still heigher at 12.4.

That being said, I misspoke, I intended to say that with the exception of Heiskanen's best season, this one, Hughes' worst or second worse season is better than basically all of Heiskanen's other seasons.

Heiskanen's second best CF% is 57.3, Hughes worst full season was 57.6.

Heiskanen's second best FF% is 56.2, Hughes' second worst is 57.3.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Heiskanen's CFRel this season is 13.4, Hughes' lowest is 11.8, his second lowest is 14.3.

Heiskanen's FFRel this season is 12.3, Hughes' lowest is 11.3, excluding the season where he played 5 games, his second lowest is 12.9, but if you do it's still heigher at 12.4.

That being said, I misspoke, I intended to say that with the exception of Heiskanen's best season, this one, Hughes' worst full season is better than basically all of Heiskanen's other seasons.

Heiskanen's second best CF% is 57.3, Hughes worst full season was 57.6.

Heiskanen's second best FF% is 56.2, Hughes' second worst is 57.3.
Your numbers don't track with 5vs5 or even strength corsi. Are you using all-situations corsi? It makes no sense considering Heiskanen plays more on the PK, and often times hasn't even been part of PP1.

Q. Hughes has a slightly better 5vs5 corsi over their careers (53.02 vs 52.85) but Heiskanen is well ahead in xgf% and rel-xg%. Hughes does have better relative corsi.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Your numbers don't track with 5vs5 or even strength corsi. Are you using all-situations corsi? It makes no sense considering Heiskanen plays more on the PK, and often times hasn't even been part of PP1.

Q. Hughes has a slightly better 5vs5 corsi over their careers (53.02 vs 52.85) but Heiskanen is well ahead in xgf% and rel-xg%. Hughes does have better relative corsi.

I could have sworn I was looking at even strength numbers, maybe I messed it up, oh well.

I still take Hughes in this head to head, he's having an insane year, but closer now.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
People really overreacting to one season to say that anybody is far ahead of anyone.....as if anyone is magically going to put up points on a Sabres team where pretty much all the forwards decided to get hurt or simply lose their scoring touch this year.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Hughes is still the best of the three, but it's closer than I originally said. I have Heiskanen as a top 5 D this year, I really like his game, but the answer here is Hughes. He's controlled the game like no other D in the league this year, especially relative to his team. That's not even mentioning that Hughes is on pace to have 30+ more points than Heiskanen when you calculate PPG over an 82 game season.

Last edited:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Hughes > Heiskanen > Dahlin, opinion is skewed by how bad team Dahlin plays for. Maybe if Dahlin was in a good team i would feel different.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Because you don't look at any context. Dahlin is on the youngest team in the NHL with one of the lowest GF. He still has 20 goals and when the team scores more, his assists will go up.
A team that was able to score 3rd most goals after Boston and Edmonton last season?

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
A team that was able to score 3rd most goals after Boston and Edmonton last season?
Is Dahlin the one that hurt Thompson's wrist? He's been playing perfectly fine the rest of the team needs to score and they need a coach that will learn to adjust when their PP plan stops working. Would also be nice to have Jack Quinn healthy to start the season too. Also whoever calls Dahlin an offensive D-man is ridiculous he plays all over the ice and is the most physical D-man on the team.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Is Dahlin the one that hurt Thompson's wrist? He's been playing perfectly fine the rest of the team needs to score and they need a coach that will learn to adjust when their PP plan stops working. Would also be nice to have Jack Quinn healthy to start the season too. Also whoever calls Dahlin an offensive D-man is ridiculous he plays all over the ice and is the most physical D-man on the team.

He's young, the coach is mean, still growing, Tage is hurt, PP not working, no one else is doing anything..

The excuses with this guy. Everything gotta be in precise and perfect alignment for him to function?

Reactions: Miro4Norris

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He's young, the coach is mean, still growing, Tage is hurt, PP not working, no one else is doing anything..

The excuses with this guy. Everything gotta be in precise and perfect alignment for him to function?
Yes like every other player in the NHL.....list the problems the Sabres have compared to Dallas and Vancouver then realize its the same stuff people said about Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, etc. Yes believe it or not you most definitely have to have a lot of good forwards to be productive when you aren't selling out offensively as a D-man who don't normally pickup goals themselves. Put anybody on Chicago and their production sinks like an anchor its not rocket science.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere

Yes, Dahlin is a bust. He's second defenseman in goals-one off the pace. 3rd in ice time. Tenth in points. And among the top-20 scoring d-man in the league he's the youngest. Also, among top-20 scoring d-man he has the most hits.

All this, playing on a historically bad team (12 straight years out of the playoffs or something) and in what most would call a bit of an off-year.

Hughes is having a better season but I'd take Dahlin over the long term.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad