Miro Heiskanen vs Quinn Hughes vs Rasmus Dahlin?

Who would you want on your team?

• Miro Heiskanen

Votes: 113 31.0%
  • Quinn Hughes

Votes: 122 33.4%
  • Rasmus Dahlin

Votes: 130 35.6%

• Total voters

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Dahlin>Heiskanen>Hughes.

It’s quite clear imo, Dahlin was very highly touted no.1 pick and it’s now becoming very evident to everybody why, Heiskanen is the ”safest” of them and proved he has untapped offensive potential, while Hughes has proven he is a great offensive defender.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Perhaps you shouldn't come here and vote for something while you at the same time declare yourself uninformed and too lazy to look it up then?
I'm sure 131 other voters look up advanced stats after every game.. lol this is hfboards 85% of voters only check point totals. even with knowing their advanced stats from last year I'm way more informed than most of voters.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Owen Power is pretty good as well. Actually plays more than Dahlin 5v5 this season. But they're all great in terms of GAR.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Before this season - Heiskanen. This season - Dahlin. If he keeps going and progressing its Dahlin. He seems to have found another gear. Earlier he was mediocre in the defensive zone as Heiskanen was a 200ft player. Now both are, but Dahlin is better offensively. Hughes is miles away, even he also is a good player. I expect all 3 will be Top10 D:s in a few years.

I’d like to have all three on my team please.
Quoted for truth.

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
Sorry for the necro, but I saw some Canucks fans take the other 2 guys over Hughes before. Has your answer changed with the great year Hughes has been having so far?

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Always thought Dahlin had the highest upside until Hughes this season showed upside I didn't know he had.

Edit: Ignore that idiotic message I posted on my phone earlier.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hughes is currently playing like the best defenceman in the league, going with him.

Always thought Dahlin had the highest upside and he's showing it this season. Heiskanen is right behind him, as he's also an elite D. Hughes is really good, but not as well rounded as the other 2.
Saying he's not as well rounded as those two is ridiculous given how this season (and last season) has currently turned out.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Sorry for the necro, but I saw some Canucks fans take the other 2 guys over Hughes before. Has your answer changed with the great year Hughes has been having so far?

I think his second half last year and start this year shows he can play at a level I didn’t expect from him. I’m not sure if he’s the best option going forward as all three are exceptionally talented, but I don’t think he’s a clear 3rd like I did a year ago.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Probably deserves a new poll but Hughes right now. Even if he arguably has a bit of a points boost with 3 games againsy an imploding Oilers and the Sharks, he’d still be easily outscoring the other two and generally getting great results

“2nd best defenseman in the league” Dahlin is probably just struggling with his team but he needs to bounce back to build on last season

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dunno, Hughes's 5on5 GF% is 74% and xGF% is 50%. Heiskanen's are at 55% GF% and 62% xGF%. Also, from zone starts, Heiskanen also leads the play to the offensive zone at a higher rate than Hughes(more offensive zone faceoffs vs starts, while Hughes's are the opposite).

So what I'd say is that 16 games is 16 games, and it'd be good to wait and see how the stats develop.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Prior to this season I had Heiskanen on top and I still think that's the case.

Hughes has been better this season but not enough to surpass him.

Hughes vs Dahlin is a closer battle.

Reactions: Gifu and LokiDog

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Prior to this season I had Heiskanen on top and I still think that's the case.

Hughes has been better this season but not enough to surpass him.

Hughes vs Dahlin is a closer battle.

Hughes is PPG above Heiskanen this season. 17 more points in 17 total games.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Hughes is PPG above Heiskanen this season. 17 more points in 17 total games.
It’s 16 points and Dallas has played two fewer games. Still impressive so I’m not sure why you felt you had to lie about the numbers. Stars power play definitely needs to get going for miro’s points to start ratcheting back up to the top ten area he will likely end up in.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
It’s 16 points and Dallas has played two fewer games. Still impressive so I’m not sure why you felt you had to lie about the numbers. Stars power play definitely needs to get going for miro’s points to start ratcheting back up to the top ten area he will likely end up in.

No lie, just miscounted numbers. Either way, Heiskanen is still one of the top young defensemen, just seems a bit silly to say that Hughes "has been better, but not enough to surpass" Heiskanen when Hughes has 16 more points in 2 more games and is leading the NHL in points.

Heiskanen is on pace for about 60 points, 13 less from last year, and I do expect that to increase, but Hughes is on pace for 130 points, which would be more than any NHL player the last 40 years outside of McDavid's 150+ point campaign. Of course it's not just about points, but Hughes' all around game is among the best in the league at this point. On November 9th there was a stat where Hughes had puck on stick posession for over 40.5 minutes with 286 minutes of ice time, the seccond highest was Theodore with 330 minutes played and 31.5 minutes with the puck. That's 9 more minutes with the puck on his stick in 45 less minutes on the ice.

Even though I don't see Hughes reaching 130, even 100 would be very tough, it's just outright wrong to say that Hughes isn't at Heiskanen's level despite being "better this season" when "better this season" is Hughes is playing like the best defenseman in the NHL right now, and an argument could be made for the best player in the world. Saying he's closer to Dahlin than Heiskanen is ignorant at best.

edit: also the 17 games I was referring to was Hughes' total games, not Heiskanen's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
you should have just left off the edit. the PPG concept relies on miro also playing 17 games. anybody can make a mistake of course.

I think what the poster you are responding to was getting at is that 17 games doesnt overshadow the rest of their careers so far. Quinn is playing better so far this season but Miro has the enduring proven ability. Could go either way going forward but there's plenty of season and career left for that to play out.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
you should have just left off the edit. the PPG concept relies on miro also playing 17 games. anybody can make a mistake of course.

I think what the poster you are responding to was getting at is that 17 games doesnt overshadow the rest of their careers so far. Quinn is playing better so far this season but Miro has the enduring proven ability. Could go either way going forward but there's plenty of season and career left for that to play out.

If that's what they meant, which I'm not sure they did, they can defend themselves. Until they do, I will continue to call them a silly person.

Reactions: Call me K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad