Minor league affiliation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Missouri Mavs announce a working affiliation with St. Louis, which means an "official" dual-affiliation (which I thought was going to be banned by the ECHL, but there are 27 teams and 30 NHL teams).

New Jersey, Columbus & Florida are currently without ECHL affiliates, but NJ co-oped Adirondack with the Flames last season; and CBJ co-oped Cincinnati with Nashville (while officially being affiliated with Kalamazoo, even though Vancouver maintained that in practice). Florida's AHL team is in New England, gotta think Manchester or one of the northeastern teams is prime for a co-op there.

Looks like Fort Wayne will be an independent, which seems to be what they prefer.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
2016-17 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - Calgary Flames (O&O)
Alaska Aces - Vancouver Canucks (2016-17)
Allen Americans - San Jose Sharks (no new deal)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2016-17)
Brampton Beast - Montreal Canadiens (2016-17)
Cincinnati Cyclones - Nashville Predators (2016-17)
Colorado Eagles - Colorado Avalanche (2019-20)
Elmira Jackals - Buffalo Sabres (no new deal)
Florida Everblades - Carolina Hurricanes (O&O)
Fort Wayne Komets
Greenville Swamp Rabbits - New York Rangers (2017-18)
Idaho Steelheads - Dallas Stars (2017-18)
Indy Fuel - Chicago Blackhawks (2018-19)
Kalamazoo Wings - Tampa Bay Lightning (2016-17)
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)
Missouri Mavericks - New York Islanders (2016-17)/St. Louis Blues (2016-17, unofficial)
Norfolk Admirals - Edmonton Oilers (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)
Orlando Solar Bears - Toronto Maple Leafs (2016-17 + option year, not sure whose option)
Quad City Mallards - Minnesota Wild (no new deal)
Rapid City Rush - Arizona Coyotes (2016-17)
Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2018-19)
South Carolina Stingrays - Washington Capitals (2017-18)
Toledo Walleye - Detroit Red Wings (2017-18)
Tulsa Oilers - Winnipeg Jets (2016-17)
Utah Grizzlies - Anaheim Ducks (2017-18 at least)
Wheeling Nailers - Pittsburgh Penguins (2017-18)
Wichita Thunder - Ottawa Senators (2016-17)

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Would anyone be shocked if the Komets jump to the SPHL if 31-31-31 and mandatory affiliations appear imminent?

They'd only do it if the perception was the SPHL was "equal to" the ECHL in terms of level of play.

If Fort Wayne, Evansville and Peoria could break off & create a northern SPHL that included a lot of few more old UHL markets (and, of course, was branded the IHL) and had something similar to the old UHL/CHL salary cap structure, it wouldn't surprise me to see them try.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
They'd only do it if the perception was the SPHL was "equal to" the ECHL in terms of level of play.

If Fort Wayne, Evansville and Peoria could break off & create a northern SPHL that included a lot of few more old UHL markets (and, of course, was branded the IHL) and had something similar to the old UHL/CHL salary cap structure, it wouldn't surprise me to see them try.

It may happen, but I think right now, Fort Wayne would rather be in the ECHL. The main issue to them is that it appears they don't want affiliation, in spite of what they say, and that may cause friction if the ECHL wants to adhere to mandatory affiliates.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
final year of each current affiliation deal noted in list above

In case anyone asks, "O&O" means the ECHL team is owned and operated by the NHL parent club (i.e. indefinite affiliation length).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Cleveland Monsters (Columbus Blue Jackets AHL affiliate) assign G Michael Houser to the Cincinnati Cyclones:

While it's too early to call it a repeat of last year's unofficial co-op affiliation, it is an early indication that that may be the case.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It may happen, but I think right now, Fort Wayne would rather be in the ECHL. The main issue to them is that it appears they don't want affiliation, in spite of what they say, and that may cause friction if the ECHL wants to adhere to mandatory affiliates.

It's not the 1st time the Komets have BATTLED leagues AND ITS resulting rules ie affiliations, they've done that off and on since the dissolution of the IHL IN 2001.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
2016-17 affiliations

Norfolk Admirals - Edmonton Oilers (O&O)

Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2017-18 at least)

The Oilers sold the Admirals a few weeks ago. They are still affiliated, but no longer O&O

Flyers Asst GM Barry Hanrahan stated the agreement with the Royals is a three year extension at the Royals pre-season Season Ticket Holders Town Hall Meeting.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The Oilers sold the Admirals a few weeks ago. They are still affiliated, but no longer O&O

Flyers Asst GM Barry Hanrahan stated the agreement with the Royals is a three year extension at the Royals pre-season Season Ticket Holders Town Hall Meeting.

Thanks! List updated.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
2016-17 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - Calgary Flames (O&O)/New Jersey Devils (unofficial?)
Alaska Aces - Vancouver Canucks (2016-17)
Allen Americans - San Jose Sharks (2016-17 at least)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2016-17)
Brampton Beast - Montreal Canadiens (2016-17)
Cincinnati Cyclones - Nashville Predators (2016-17)/Columbus Blue Jackets (unofficial?)
Colorado Eagles - Colorado Avalanche (2019-20)
Elmira Jackals - Buffalo Sabres (2016-17 at least)
Florida Everblades - Carolina Hurricanes (O&O)
Fort Wayne Komets - INDEPENDENT
Greenville Swamp Rabbits - New York Rangers (2017-18)
Idaho Steelheads - Dallas Stars (2017-18)
Indy Fuel - Chicago Blackhawks (2018-19)
Kalamazoo Wings - Tampa Bay Lightning (2016-17)
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/Florida Panthers (unofficial?)
Missouri Mavericks - New York Islanders (2016-17)/St. Louis Blues (2016-17, working agreement)
Norfolk Admirals - Edmonton Oilers (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)
Orlando Solar Bears - Toronto Maple Leafs (2016-17 + option year, not sure whose option)
Quad City Mallards - Minnesota Wild (2016-17 at least)
Rapid City Rush - Arizona Coyotes (2016-17)
Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2018-19)
South Carolina Stingrays - Washington Capitals (2017-18)
Toledo Walleye - Detroit Red Wings (2017-18)
Tulsa Oilers - Winnipeg Jets (2016-17)
Utah Grizzlies - Anaheim Ducks (2017-18 at least)
Wheeling Nailers - Pittsburgh Penguins (2017-18)
Wichita Thunder - Ottawa Senators (2016-17)

Last edited:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
list updated with Blue Jackets/Cyclones, Panthers/Monarchs, and Devils/Thunder added based on AHL transaction logs thus far this season.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Betting that's not correct. AEG owned the team so there was no need to have an affiliation agreement when they switched franchise locations.

It was something along the lines of "We look forward to having our hockey team for the next five years". Came across it a few weeks ago and of course I can't find it. Might've been in reference to keeping the team in Manchester and not having an LA Kings affiliate there.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It was something along the lines of "We look forward to having our hockey team for the next five years". Came across it a few weeks ago and of course I can't find it. Might've been in reference to keeping the team in Manchester and not having an LA Kings affiliate there.

The five years likely refers to their lease, which now runs through 2020-2021.

There has been no indication that an affiliation agreement for beyond the current season was signed, and my guess is this is LA's last year affiliating with Manchester.

BruinsHockey

Jun 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Manchester Monarchs will have a new owner next season. So I don't know if that helps LA stay or go.

I've seen rumors of them wanting the Bruins next year, also don;t know if they would be shared with LA or not.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Manchester Monarchs will have a new owner next season. So I don't know if that helps LA stay or go.

I've seen rumors of them wanting the Bruins next year, also don;t know if they would be shared with LA or not.

Boston's 2-year affiliation agreement with Atlanta ends this spring. Had always thought Worcester was the natural fit, but the Islanders were mentioned as a likely destination for Worcester (which makes sense given its proximity to Bridgeport). With Manchester no longer owned by the Kings, that would be another potential landing spot for the Bruins' affiliation.

Also wondering when the Blue Jackets and Cincinnati will make their very unofficial affiliation the last two years official. (one thing that's also notable is AEG owns the U.S. Bank Arena where the Cincinnati Cyclones play, so that could be a landing spot for LA's affiliation).

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Also wondering when the Blue Jackets and Cincinnati will make their very unofficial affiliation the last two years official.

The ECHL no longer permits teams to have multiple affliations, so LA/Boston can't officially share Manchester, and Cincy can't officially affiliate with Columbus (or LA) without first breaking their agreement with Nashville.

Obviously teams can "unofficially" work with a team other than their affiliate, and NHL/AHL teams can assign players to any number of teams they aren't affiliated with. However, the new model is one affiliate per team. The only thing holding them back from eliminating these "working relationships" is that there aren't 31 ECHL teams yet.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Albany just PTO'd players from Toledo and Mancehster as well as their unofficial affiliate Adirondack. It seems they prefer to be able to pull talent from more than one organization.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The ECHL no longer permits teams to have multiple affliations, so LA/Boston can't officially share Manchester, and Cincy can't officially affiliate with Columbus (or LA) without first breaking their agreement with Nashville.

Obviously teams can "unofficially" work with a team other than their affiliate, and NHL/AHL teams can assign players to any number of teams they aren't affiliated with. However, the new model is one affiliate per team. The only thing holding them back from eliminating these "working relationships" is that there aren't 31 ECHL teams yet.

I'm very aware the ECHL has banned dual affiliations, but there are such formal working agreements in place (St. Louis co-oping Missouri, New Jersey co-oping Adirondack), so an "unofficial" formal working agreement could work as a co-op arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad