GDT: Minnesota Wild Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:30PM | Good Friday Eve

What is better?

• Total voters

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, you often win shootouts when your players put zero of yours in the net. Truly a surprise.

The one Lehner let in was entirely his fault. It posted and he backed into it and scored it for them. Should have cleared as soon as it passed him for that reason.

Maybe the next up(Wild Bill?) Would have scored and the Panda would have saved.

There are two parts to a shootout. Scoring AND saving. If he hadn't deflected it in, the SO goes on......

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He's been really, really underwhelming. I know it's mostly due to rust/injuries, but yikes.
We are surely looking at different things. I want some calm blueline stability without panic. Pietro gives us that. The details will come back to him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Yes he was - he always sucks in shootouts, if he did ten of them, he'd be lucky to win 2.

Hard to blame him when the shot goes off the post and then off him, that's just a bad bounce. Hard for Lehner to be as good as first half MAF, but fair to ask is second half MAF as good as current Lehner? No assurances MAF can keep up the Vezina level he had but seems to have drifted from recently.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Karlsson should have scored on his first shot on the PP. Had some open space and shot it towards the other corner where the goalie was. Smith did something similar late in the 3rd period. Those were worse than the Kolesar misses IMO.
At least he didn't pass it.

Reactions: Vegas07

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Hard to blame him when the shot goes off the post and then off him, that's just a bad bounce. Hard for Lehner to be as good as first half MAF, but fair to ask is second half MAF as good as current Lehner? No assurances MAF can keep up the Vezina level he had but seems to have drifted from recently.

For me MAF is really top-flight when he mostly stays and guards the net. One of the few goalies athletic enough to take away the top half of the net while still good on the bottom. When he roams and tries to do too much seems to be when he gets in trouble. Not just a coincidence he's been worse since Lehner returned, it's like he's trying to do too much to show everyone who's the true #1, hope he can just go back to being the MAF of February.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Even though we usually suck against the Wild, I'm pretty sure we'll beat them in the playoffs if we play them. Still not sold on the Avs goaltending, but I see their skaters as the best in the league.

In my humble opinion, VGK is a year away.

A year away with this management gives me no confidence. They are going to keep signing expensive contracts and not trust young talent. HSK are going to look great but maybe one player will get moved up.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
We are surely looking at different things. I want some calm blueline stability without panic. Pietro gives us that. The details will come back to him.

That's fair, but doesn't change the fact that he's been underwhelming since the season started. The injuries, etc have surely factored in, but I think it's reasonable to expect a whole lot more from him.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's technique. And Lehner has no technique to battle penalty shots. Fleury would have been floating out from the net so no rebound. Subban, the best I've ever seen, wouldn't have let it hit the post.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
A year away with this management gives me no confidence. They are going to keep signing expensive contracts and not trust young talent. HSK are going to look great but maybe one player will get moved up.

We also have some really good contracts, like Theodore, but yes, I'd like to see them give a shot to Krebs, Elvenes and the big kid (forget his name) next year. Still think the biggest mistake was spending so much on Lehner, but it was understandable, as no one thought we'd have MAF bounce back. Also, remember Avs got real good because they were so awful they got a chance to draft MacKinnon, Makar, Bowen, etc.. I give them credit for picking well, but we are still only in year 4 (really 3.5) and being so good the first year we never got a chance at top-5 draft choices. Moreover, we've had to sign some over-priced veterans while our kids percolated through the system.

Remember there is also an expansion draft this summer and we're exempt.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That's fair, but doesn't change the fact that he's been underwhelming since the season started. The injuries, etc have surely factored in, but I think it's reasonable to expect a whole lot more from him.
I think this comes down to defensive philosophy. I love defenders that, well, defend......others want to see pinching and scoring.

From the beginning of the season, barring injury, Pietro has been pretty solid at keeping puck in the ozone and making safe outlet passes. Contrast with Hague, who I heavily criticize while others love him......he pinches to the point that he gets constantly walked the other direction. He can't hold a puck in the blueline to save his life. His occasional brilliant passes are peppered by times where he either freezes with the puck lying between his skates, or tries to clear in a panic, right into an opponent who can now rush center, or he ices it. But, because he pinches, he contributes to scoring where Whitey and Pietro don't so much. Defense and puck possession first, scoring second. Pietro will contribute more to scoring as he matriculates back in. I'm not sure Hague can contribute to puck possession, ever.

Then there is Theo, who is fast and savvy enough to be both a responsible blueline holder and a pinching offensive contributor without getting constantly burned.

To emphasize, every player makes mistakes, even Mark Stone, but I look at the body of work in any particular game.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The one Lehner let in was entirely his fault. It posted and he backed into it and scored it for them. Should have cleared as soon as it passed him for that reason.

Maybe the next up(Wild Bill?) Would have scored and the Panda would have saved.

There are two parts to a shootout. Scoring AND saving. If he hadn't deflected it in, the SO goes on......

It's just funny thing to be upset about tonight or cast blame. I'm more concerned that Marchessault gets a shot all the time. You get done showing Pacioretty potting goals in OT and who scores for fun when healthy with us since he got here and he doesn't get a shot?

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I don't get the Pietrangelo hate at all. He was a bit underwhelming, not bad but underwhelming, to start the year (probably missing a training camp) but he's mostly been solid for us.

Today he was on the ice a lot and tried pushing the play and didn't ever get caught and did well on both ends, got us a PP and was a positive presence.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's just funny thing to be upset about tonight or cast blame. I'm more concerned that Marchessault gets a shot all the time. You get done showing Pacioretty potting goals in OT and who scores for fun when healthy with us since he got here and he doesn't get a shot?
Patches doesn't score on the rush a lot. He and Stone would be my first choice if they went to two man shootout.

Marchessault is at about 31% in SO. Not world beating, but not awful. I was too lazy to look up the others. I'm sure the staff keep tabs on this skill and put who they put out there for a reason other than height.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I don't get the Pietrangelo hate at all. He was a bit underwhelming, not bad but underwhelming, to start the year (probably missing a training camp) but he's mostly been solid for us.

Today he was on the ice a lot and tried pushing the play and didn't ever get caught and did well on both ends, got us a PP and was a positive presence.

No hate here, but I think it's reasonable to expect a lot more from him on both ends, considering we traded away our 2C & 2D from last season to fit his salary. It's not fair to blame the cap situation on him, but it's fair to say his play has not lived up his previous standards. He's also been a non factor on the PP...which again it's not all his fault, as the PP needs a giant overhaul.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
No hate here, but I think it's reasonable to expect a lot more from him on both ends, considering we traded away our 2C & 2D from last season to fit his salary. It's not fair to blame the cap situation on him, but it's fair to say his play has not lived up his previous standards. He's also been a non factor on the PP...which again it's not all his fault, as the PP needs a giant overhaul.

Kind of think he'll improve with time. Question is always not whether he is good, he certainly is, but whether he's worth the 9x8 mil I think we're paying him. Five years from now his contract may become an albatross, hopefully until then he earns his keep.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even though we usually suck against the Wild, I'm pretty sure we'll beat them in the playoffs if we play them. Still not sold on the Avs goaltending, but I see their skaters as the best in the league.

In my humble opinion, VGK is a year away.

How do they get a 1C in just a year (without trading for Eichel)? Don't want to be the Predators.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
How do they get a 1C in just a year (without trading for Eichel)? Don't want to be the Predators.

Can't fit Eichel under the cap without trading far too much. We need to shed a few bad contracts (Reaves, Holden, Roy) and replace then with good youngsters on ELC's. Also, while I think for now Glass belongs in HSK, he beefed up tremendously in one year, now work on his skating and he's potential 1C on an ELC. Same with Hague - power skating lessons for you, son. I also like Coughlan's game, though we're stacked at RD.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I guess I can see having disappointment based on how he got here. And he has not been as effective offensively as in seasons past.

Although Schmidt hasn't set the world on fire this season. Stastny has been good but we wouldn't have kept him even without Pietrangelo. I have wondered if Roslovic for Schmidt was ever a thing though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Can't fit Eichel under the cap without trading far too much. We need to shed a few bad contracts (Reaves, Holden, Roy) and replace then with good youngsters on ELC's. Also, while I think for now Glass belongs in HSK, he beefed up tremendously in one year, now work on his skating and he's potential 1C on an ELC. Same with Hague - power skating lessons for you, son. I also like Coughlan's game, though we're stacked at RD.

Trade Reaves; include Tuch & Holden in the deal for Eichel. Don't re-sign Martinez.

doumtang

May 14, 2012

How can Roy be a bad contract at 750 000$ ? The guy has been moved from lines to lines, from C to RW to LW season long. Pretty good versatility for the money.

edit : it must also be hard to adjust to all those changes, even for a NHL player..

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I wouldn't call Roy's almost league minimum contract a bad one. And even shedding it would require a replacement as we're running at 20 and would only save $50,000 at most and I don't know what you'd expect more from a different 700k player.

Reactions: doumtang

doumtang

May 14, 2012
I wouldn't call Roy's almost league minimum contract a bad one. And even shedding it would require a replacement as we're running at 20 and would only save $50,000 at most and I don't know what you'd expect more from a different 700k player.

Let's not forget that he registered 8 pts in 20 playoffs games last year. As I wrote earlier, being moved each 5-6 games to a different line or a different position isn't helping either.

And yeah, Nic is my buddy. I will cheer for him no matter what :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad