MiLB and Indy Regular Season Thread

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
went back to Whittaker Bank Ballpark tonight in Lexington to watch the Legends take on the Grasshoppers.
it is the site of the Sally League all star game this year and it is just an underwhelming park to me and the game was also underwhelming.. Best performance of the evening was by G'boro starter Chris Paddack.
Saw some of the worst swings I have ever seen at the minor league level on stuff that was not that high quality. best part of the night was the quarter hot dogs that they have at every Tuesday home game; i only had one though.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Things are looking worse for the Hartford Yard Goats...

City officials ordered the developers of the still-unfinished $63 million minor league baseball stadium to vacate the premises Tuesday in advance of an insurance company investigation of the construction fiasco.

The project's insurer, Arch Insurance, is expected to come in to investigate the city's claim and determine the next steps, including who should finish the work. Arch officials could recommend that the developers, Centerplan Cos. and DoNo Hartford LLC, finish the project.

The developers have said that the park, located just off I-84 near downtown Hartford and the future home of the Double A Eastern League Hartford Yard Goats, is about 95 percent complete. It is unclear whether any games will be played at the park this year. The Yard Goats have been playing their games on the road and at Dodd Stadium in Norwich.

Originally the stadium was scheduled to open April 7, but cost overruns and construction delays that came to light in December pushed the opening date to May 31. The developers were supposed to hand over the park to the Yard Goats by May 17, but missed the deadline. Last week the city declared that the developer was in default of the contract.

:shakehead The whole move from New Britain, CT, has been a disaster. And what will happen when the Connecticut Tigers need their ballpark? :facepalm:

Whoa, deja vu?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
And the Hartford situation continues to deteriorate. The city better wrap that place up in bubble wrap and stop anybody from even breathing on it as it is now uninsurable due to the termination of the construction contract. It can be insured once it's completed under a permanent policy, but yeesh. I knew one of the two parks that were slated to open this year would turn into a cluster. I'm glad it wasn't Columbia.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Osprey finally had their home opener this Tuesday; bought a 10 voucher plan for $90, as I really don't know which games I want to go to, other than most the promotional ones. My voucher got me a ticket, off to the right of home plate, 5 rows back....the joys of minor league baseball.

Anyhow, the team last year won the Pioneer League, but this year....woof. The first 3 games over the weekend in Billings, they lost like 10-3 every game, and Tuesday, they started off well, a single and HR in the first two hits, but their pitcher had zero control, and the relievers weren't much better.

Great Falls pitcher got tossed in the 8th for plunking a batter, and then their manager got tossed for arguing the call. Still, they ended up losing 9-3.

Last night they lost 10-4. It's all about advancing the players, and making them better, but they could be bad, bad, bad.

Hopefully, the D-Backs top pick coming over to Missoula will add to the offense:
http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=185714648&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t518&sid=t518

Curious though, what could be the possible reasoning for the D-Backs moving Grier from one rookie level league (NW) to another? Playing time?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Osprey finally had their home opener this Tuesday; bought a 10 voucher plan for $90, as I really don't know which games I want to go to, other than most the promotional ones. My voucher got me a ticket, off to the right of home plate, 5 rows back....the joys of minor league baseball.

Anyhow, the team last year won the Pioneer League, but this year....woof. The first 3 games over the weekend in Billings, they lost like 10-3 every game, and Tuesday, they started off well, a single and HR in the first two hits, but their pitcher had zero control, and the relievers weren't much better.

Great Falls pitcher got tossed in the 8th for plunking a batter, and then their manager got tossed for arguing the call. Still, they ended up losing 9-3.

Last night they lost 10-4. It's all about advancing the players, and making them better, but they could be bad, bad, bad.

Hopefully, the D-Backs top pick coming over to Missoula will add to the offense:
http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=185714648&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t518&sid=t518

Curious though, what could be the possible reasoning for the D-Backs moving Grier from one rookie level league (NW) to another? Playing time?

Northwest League isn't rookie level, it's Short Season A. This is actually a demotion for Grier.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Brevard County Manatees have announced they've signed a deal to move to Osceola County Stadium starting next season. This'll be the first time a FSL team has played there since the Kissimmee Cobras became no more 16 years ago.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Got to see Harrison Bader' AAA debut last night and was underwhelmed. He was clearly battling nerves at the plate. 1 for 5 with one double to right center field. Also got to see a Michael McKenry CS and a triple; left before his walk off though. Highlight of the night was the squirrel who was traipsing around the backstop screen support wiring for the first two innings.

Also had the pork nachos, can never go wrong with them

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Six Potential Names Revealed for Central Florida Team

The Brevard County Mantatees announced the names that it could take when it moves to Kissimmee, FL. The names are:

Florida Dragonflies: Known for their resilience and fighting spirit, a name among the likes of these prehistoric Florida insects falls in line with other wacky names in Minor League Baseball.

Florida Fire Frogs: Going head-to-head with a fire frog is not for the faint of heart. The fire from these frogs is as hot as a Central Florida summer and will leave their opponents feelin’ the burn.

Florida Mud Kickers: In a nod to Osceola’s strong heritage, the Florida Mud Kickers will help preserve two great American traditions – baseball and rodeo. Saddle up, and let’s play ball!

Florida Rodeo Clowns: The Rodeo Clowns commemorate the world famous Silver Spurs Rodeo. So grab your hat and boots and join the team for an experience more fun than a barrel of Rodeo Clowns.

Florida Sorcerers: The Florida Sorcerers speak to the region’s strong entertainment industry. Fans can expect an enchanted ballpark where the mystical forces of good and evil come to life.

Florida Toucans: The Florida Toucans celebrate the area’s tropical climate that the world “flocks” to (more than 66 million visitors a year in fact!). Imagine steel drum bands, tropical shirts, and an umbrella in your favorite ballpark drink.

Toucans and Sorcerers are my choice. The others are not up my alley.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yikes again, but also what the hell is up with naming a team 'Florida' when it plays in the ****ing Florida State League. All 12 teams in the Florida State League are, shockingly, based in Florida. Kissimmee isn't that obscure of a location, certainly less so than a place like Dunedin or Lakeland that I only know of because of their baseball ties.

There'd be nothing wrong with them being named the Kissimmee Toucans, or even the Osceola Toucans. Osceola County Stadium used to play host to the Osceola Astros and Kissimmee Cobras in the Florida State League...

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Weird double play in single A. A ground ball deflects off the picture, hits off the umpire, fielded by the 2nd baseman, tags the 2nd base for the out, and throws to 1st for the double play. Somebody tweeted that the play should be scored "1-Blue-4-3."

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Weird double play in single A. A ground ball deflects off the picture, hits off the umpire, fielded by the 2nd baseman, tags the 2nd base for the out, and throws to 1st for the double play. Somebody tweeted that the play should be scored "1-Blue-4-3."

What teams were involved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad