MiLB and Indy Regular Season Thread

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The new Astros High-A team will play their first two years in Buies Creek, NC at Campbell University's Jim Perry Stadium while their permanent home gets built in Fayetteville. Their interim name will be the Buies Creek Astros. Interesting that they're not going with their permanent name from the start. I guess Brandiose doesn't have enough time to generate a logo for them in six months.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=209072660&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

About ******* time!

More than likely the Buies Creek logo is the Houston logo with "Buies Creek" replacing "Houston, and "BC" replacing "H".

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
About ******* time!

More than likely the Buies Creek logo is the Houston logo with "Buies Creek" replacing "Houston, and "BC" replacing "H".

You called it.

Buies_Creek_960_o04o5l5r_9s5k9g0d.png

Interestingly, Buies Creek will be the smallest city in the US with a full-season minor league team until the team moves, at which point, I think it'll revert back to Kinston with that honor.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
And people complain about weird minor league logos when you have this **** happening.

How do you mean, Murray? The team will be wholly owned by the Astros - this is akin to Appy League or Florida State League teams that use modified versions of their parent club's logos - or just about any non-Fire Frogs Braves affiliate.

A few examples:

Burlington_Royals.PNG

BluefieldBlueJays.PNG

E-Twins.PNG

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I absolutely hate it. South Bend Cubs included.

It makes things so bland and uninteresting.

I got you and I'd agree, but that said I think there's also a line between something completely bland like the Buies Creek Astros and something like the Binghamton Rumble Ponies or the New Orleans Baby Cakes. Where that line is, I'm not sure. I recall people didn't like the Lugnuts name when that was first announced but that has sort of become a staple of a branding that really worked. For what it's worth, my beef with Brandiose is that I feel that their branding is beginning to look more alike than different so in a sense we're going back towards blandness.

When I'm right, I'm right. Not a bad logo.

Does this mean that 2017 Logo thread should be lock up, garnetpalmetto?

Nope, we're still waiting on the Down East Wood Ducks branding to be released.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
mid-April
AAA starts early April.
AA starts a week later
A another week later.

There's no staggered start like that. Opening Day for MiLB is April 6 at all the full-season levels (AAA down to Low-A) and in all the full-season leagues. At the Rookie and Short Season-A levels, the Northwest League starts on June 15, the New York-Penn and Pioneer Leagues start on June 19, and the Appy League starts on June 22.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Tim Tebow will be assigned to the Columbia Fireflies, Mets low A ball (South Atlantic League)

Not a huge surprise. It's the lowest full season classification and it's either start him there or hold on to him through extended spring training until the short seasons start up. I know plenty of FB friends from back home who are excited to see him take the field for the Fireflies this season and others who're a little wary of their former nemesis playing in Gamecock country.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Durham Bulls this year will have fan voting to choose a special food item that will be sold each homestand with the most popular item being put on the menu for the final homestand. The choices for the first homestand:

• Chili Mac - Chili served with fried gouda mac and cheese bites
  • Tater Tot Waffle - Tater tots, bacon, cheese, and jalapenos pressed into a waffle iron and served with sour cream
  • Blue Munster Burger - two burger patties served with blue cheese and Munster cheese topped with lettuce and tomato

Other items that will be voted on later include:

• Pork Chop Sandwich - Hand-breaded pork chop sandwich served with lettuce, tomato, and pickle
  • Brat Burger - Bratwurst meat shaped in the form of a burger patty, topped with coleslaw on a pretzel bun
  • Pepperoni Roll - Pepperoni and mozzarella rolled into dough, served with dipping sauce
  • Fish and Chips - Beer-battered Alaskan Cod served with fries
  • Brussels Sprouts - Fried Brussels Sprouts tossed in a secret seasoning and bacon

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The Durham Bulls this year will have fan voting to choose a special food item that will be sold each homestand with the most popular item being put on the menu for the final homestand. The choices for the first homestand:

• Chili Mac - Chili served with fried gouda mac and cheese bites
  • Tater Tot Waffle - Tater tots, bacon, cheese, and jalapenos pressed into a waffle iron and served with sour cream
  • Blue Munster Burger - two burger patties served with blue cheese and Munster cheese topped with lettuce and tomato

Other items that will be voted on later include:

• Pork Chop Sandwich - Hand-breaded pork chop sandwich served with lettuce, tomato, and pickle
  • Brat Burger - Bratwurst meat shaped in the form of a burger patty, topped with coleslaw on a pretzel bun
  • Pepperoni Roll - Pepperoni and mozzarella rolled into dough, served with dipping sauce
  • Fish and Chips - Beer-battered Alaskan Cod served with fries
  • Brussels Sprouts - Fried Brussels Sprouts tossed in a secret seasoning and bacon

Tamer than what is served at MLB parks.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Some news round-ups from MiLB of note

• The Iowa Cubs (Triple-A, Pacific Coast League) have gotten an early jump on the 2018 Affiliation Dance, renewing their PDC with Chicago through 2020. The I-Cubs also renewed their lease on Principal Park with the City of Des Moines through 2037 and extended their naming rights deal with Principal Financial Group through 2027.
  • Dunkin' Donuts Park has finally opened, meaning the Hartford Yard Goats (Double-A, Eastern League) actually play in Hartford now!
  • The Elizabethton Twins (Rookie, Appalachian League) are facing an uncertain future due to stalled talks between the City of Elizabethton and Minnesota
  • The Pawtucket Red Sox (Triple-A, International League) are looking to replace 77-year old McCoy Stadium with a complete replica of Fenway Park

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The 5 finalists for the name of Fayetteville's team (currently the Buies Creek Astros) has been revealed:

• Fayetteville Woodpeckers – which references the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker which calls Fayetteville home
  • Fayetteville Wood Dogs – references the Dogwood tree that can be found across the city
  • Fayetteville Jumpers – Obviously comes from the 82nd Airborne based at nearby Fort Bragg
  • Fayetteville Fatbacks – references the delicious treat that comes from a pig’s back
  • Fayetteville Fly Traps – refers to the Venus Fly Trap, which is found in North and South Carolina

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The 5 finalists for the name of Fayetteville's team (currently the Buies Creek Astros) has been revealed:

• Fayetteville Woodpeckers – which references the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker which calls Fayetteville home
  • Fayetteville Wood Dogs – references the Dogwood tree that can be found across the city
  • Fayetteville Jumpers – Obviously comes from the 82nd Airborne based at nearby Fort Bragg
  • Fayetteville Fatbacks – references the delicious treat that comes from a pig’s back
  • Fayetteville Fly Traps – refers to the Venus Fly Trap, which is found in North and South Carolina

I'd go with Woodpeckers, just so Woody have a team of his own. Although, the Buies Creek Astros logo isn't half bad.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Are the PawSox still looking at Pawtucket or are they shifting to Providence, RI?

I believe they're still looking to Pawtucket but are looking around if that falls through. I believe Worcester, MA has expressed interest in them if no deal can be had in Pawtucket.

In other news, the Albuquerque Isotopes (AAA, Pacific Coast League) and the Colorado Rockies have renewed their PDC through 2020. The PDC had been set to expire next year, so that's one of the first renewals in advance of next year's affiliation dance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad