MiLB and Indy Regular Season Thread

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
With Irma looming, the Florida State League, the Southern League, and the Carolina League have all canceled their league championship seriesand the winners of their divisional round playoff games will be declared co-champs. In the Southern League that will be either the Pensacola Blue Wahoos or the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp and either the Chattanooga Lookouts or the Montgomery Biscuits. In the CL, it'll be either the Frederick Keys or the Lynchburg Hillcats and either the Down East Wood Ducks or the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Down East is currently up on Myrtle Beach 1 games to 0 while Frederick is up on Lynchburg 1 games to 0. The FSL already wrapped up their divisional series and the Dunedin Blue Jays and Palm Beach Cardinals have been crowned co-champs.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Astros have announced they're pulling out of the Appalachian League, leaving Greeneville, TN without a team for next year as of now. Pioneer Park is lauded on that circuit so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody placed a team there in short order.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You don't see a MLB team ditch a minor league team in an odd-number year, do ya?

It's a rarity on account of PDCs being renegotiated in even-numbered years and the need to maintain an affiliate at each full-season level, but I suppose a team owned by their MLB affiliate, especially at a short season level could get ditched at any time.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
A few quick hits...

First, my Durham Bulls won the Triple-A National Championship last night over the Memphis Redbirds thanks to a grand slam by Kean Wong who fell a triple short of the cycle and was named the game's MVP.

cut.JPG

Two teams have renewed their affiliations early. The Boise Hawks (Short Season A, Northwest League) have renewed their contract with the Colorado Rockies and the Williamsport Crosscutters (Short Season A, New York-Penn League) have renewed their contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. Both renewals will take both teams to the end of the 2020 season.

Lastly, the Mexican League may make a return to the US with a return to Laredo, TX following the removal of the Laredo Lemurs. In the past, Laredo was a partial home to Los Tecolotes de los Dos Laredos who split their time between Laredo, TX and Nuevo Laredo in Mexico. Los Tecolotes abandoned Laredo in 2004 and played solely in Nuevo Laredo until 2010. The team moved to Ciudad del Carmen (where they played as the Dolphins) in 2012 and subsequently to Durango in 2017 where they're now the Generales de Durango.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
I figure this thread is as good a place as any for affiliation-related news, so that said, Mets are buying AAA Syracuse, will move AAA affiliate there in 2019:

Great move by the Mets, no question about it:

-AAA affiliate will now be much closer to home
-AA (Binghamton) and AAA affiliates will now be a mere one hour drive on I-81 apart from each other
-Causes the rival Nationals to need a new AAA affiliate, potentially in an unideal location (Vegas would obviously be available :laugh:) depending on what else changes between now and then.
-Creates a rivalry with the Yankees' AAA team in Scranton, a 2 hour drive on I-81 away.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad