Speculation: Mikko Koskinen set to leave SKA, sign in the NHL

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
As an islanders fan I hope he signs with the Rangers.
Why tho? The guy is a top 5 goalie on the international stage and probably the best not in the NHL. I'd be ecstatic if the Oilers signed him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wtf this is ridiculous. We want Sorokin!!!!

Koskinen May have developed into a better goalie but he’s still a question mark as far as the nhl.

Reactions: PWJunior

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wtf this is ridiculous. We want Sorokin!!!!

Koskinen May have developed into a better goalie but he’s still a question mark as far as the nhl.

Doesn't hurt to try, unless he's the only add.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Great....we're so desperate we recalled a past garbage goalie.

We couldn't trade for a goalie...so we Snow'd...err..cheaped out.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
garbage goalie, haha.. i really hope he doestn sign with none of the teams mentioned here, they dont deserve him.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
garbage goalie, haha.. i really hope he doestn sign with none of the teams mentioned here, they dont deserve him.
His stats since he joined the KHL compeletely nullifies your argument that he is garbage.

He has been in the KHL for the last 7 years and his average SVS% is 0.922 with a GAA of 2.05 during that time.

He was 22 when he played for the Islanders and he seems to have matured and grew into a very servicable goaltender.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As for that rumour that he was signing with the Isles on July 1st, why would he have to wait that long? He's a UFA now, he can sign wherever he wants. He just can't play in the playoffs if it happens to be with a playoff team.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
As for that rumour that he was signing with the Isles on July 1st, why would he have to wait that long? He's a UFA now, he can sign wherever he wants. He just can't play in the playoffs if it happens to be with a playoff team.

He's a UFA so cant officially sign until 1st July. Only players who's rights are owned by teams can be signed now. He can negotiate and agree deals in principle until the official Free Agency opens.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
His stats since he joined the KHL compeletely nullifies your argument that he is garbage.

He has been in the KHL for the last 7 years and his average SVS% is 0.922 with a GAA of 2.05 during that time.

He was 22 when he played for the Islanders and he seems to have matured and grew into a very servicable goaltender.

I'm very skeptical. 30 years old playing on a stacked team in the KHL doesn't give me the warm fuzzy about him.

For a comparison fellow 2009 Isles draft pick Anders Nilsson went back to the KHL for a year and looked great. But he's a sub par goalie at the NHL level. That's the ceiling I have for Koskinen. Anyone who thinks he's going to come in and be a top 20 goalie is sadly mistaken.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I'm very skeptical. 30 years old playing on a stacked team in the KHL doesn't give me the warm fuzzy about him.

For a comparison fellow 2009 Isles draft pick Anders Nilsson went back to the KHL for a year and looked great. But he's a sub par goalie at the NHL level. That's the ceiling I have for Koskinen. Anyone who thinks he's going to come in and be a top 20 goalie is sadly mistaken.
No one is saying he will be a top 20 goalie but comparing Nilsson who had 1 good season to Koskinen who has been very consistent for 7 years is not realistic.

Time will tell how good a Goalie he has become.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He's a UFA so cant officially sign until 1st July. Only players who's rights are owned by teams can be signed now. He can negotiate and agree deals in principle until the official Free Agency opens.

I believe that is only for players currently under contract with NHL teams. Contracts expire at the end of June 30th making them a UFA on July 1.

He doesn't have an NHL contract expiring. He should be able to sign whenever he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad