Speculation: Mikko Koskinen set to leave SKA, sign in the NHL

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Koskinen is pretty similar to Anders Nilsson- type goalie from expectations standpoint. Both giants at 6'6"-6'7", Both 28-29 yrs old. Both posted over 93 save pct for one of the top teams in the KHL before coming over. Both had rather unimpressive 1st stints in NA. And i think both have some things that probably won't quite make them #1 goalies in the NHL - but you never know.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Koskinen is pretty similar to Anders Nilsson- type goalie from expectations standpoint. Both giants at 6'6"-6'7", Both 28-29 yrs old. Both posted over 93 save pct for one of the top teams in the KHL before coming over. Both had rather unimpressive 1st stints in NA. And i think both have some things that probably won't quite make them #1 goalies in the NHL - but you never know.

Both Drafted by the Islanders in 2009. lol

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I think Koskinen is pretty similar to Anders Nilsson- type goalie from expectations standpoint.

Koskinen has enjoyed constant Eurasian goaltending coaching for five seasons after his first Northern American trip while Nilsson did only one season and has since bounced all over the Northern American leagues.

St. Petersburg could also be the most high-pressure goaltending environment in the whole of Eurasia at the moment and he won the position in the play-offs with 15 games played while one was spared for his rival Russian minor international goaltender Shestjorkin. I think he should be a clear target for someone searching a new number one goaltender. Of course the ass has to endure some sea water when acquiring a new goaltender but I do not know if you can gather much better pedigree or experience than what Koskinen has managed to do in Euraasia. For a giant he is now very much in his prime age-wise.

Colorado Avalanche has this season the importance in goaltending coaching in hiring Jussi Parkkila, the man behind Rasks and Bobrovskis of this world.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Rangers fans should be happy. Likely means that Shestyorkin will be SKA's undisputed #1 next year, even if he should've been already.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe Tavares is more interested about staying if they can do few more signings like this.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Apparently he's going to the Isles. Finally, Shestyorkin can be the starter when he already should have been

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Apparently he's going to the Isles. Finally, Shestyorkin can be the starter when he already should have been

As an Islanders fan I would have 0 problems testing Koskinen in a 1a/1b situation, but With Greiss already as our 1b we need a much better and safer 1a

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
As an Islanders fan I would have 0 problems testing Koskinen in a 1a/1b situation, but With Greiss already as our 1b we need a much better and safer 1a
Koskinen isn't that guy. He can probably be a solid backup but i wouldn't want him as my 1A or 1B. Who knows though

Reactions: SI90

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013

Finnish news outlet reached out to him after the news broke out and Koskinen commented the "Koskinen to Isles" news with just saying fake news. He says the he has interest in NA for sure and goals he would still like to achieve (likely referring to Lord Stanley's Cup).

x4lusw.jpg

Suomen KHL-tähti Mikko Koskinen tyrmää venäläisten väitteen: ”Fake news”

Reactions: donut

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
hopefully its fake news, i dont want him the play for Islanders, 1 of the worst teams and has no other finns.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I do not know if you can even make a list of the best goaltenders in the world (based on the last three seasons) currently and place Koskinen outside the top-30.

For Finland in World Championships he has been better than Korpisalo and Rinne in example, if we hold Saros as the best goaltender who has played for Finland in the world championships recently.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
According to Sport Express the giant goalie has agreed to sign with the RangersIslanders[mod]. Not sure how credible this site is but since he has nothing to prove in Europe/KHL I could see him giving his NHL career one last shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like a lot of KHLers are coming back

Kovalchuk and Voynov also seem to be making their way here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->