Speculation: Mikko Koskinen set to leave SKA, sign in the NHL

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I believe that is only for players currently under contract with NHL teams. Contracts expire at the end of June 30th making them a UFA on July 1.

He doesn't have an NHL contract expiring. He should be able to sign whenever he wants.

Its the same situation with Kovalchuk. He becomes full UFA on 15th April but he cant officially sign for anyone until 1st July.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Its the same situation with Kovalchuk. He becomes full UFA on 15th April but he cant officially sign for anyone until 1st July.

I thought Kovalchuk was due to New Jersey still owning his rights until July 1? July 1st is when he can sign with a team without having to give NJ assets or have him go through waivers .

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I thought Kovalchuk was due to New Jersey still owning his rights until July 1? July 1st is when he can sign with a team without having to give NJ assets or have him go through waivers .
His rights with NJ ends when he turns 35 which is in 2 days. Then he will become full UFA and be able to speak to teams and agree a deal in principle before it becomes official on July 1st

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hadn't heard about those, but I just read into it and am sufficiently grossed out. Nonetheless, I don't think him getting a free pass means other scum bags should get the same chance.

Yes but precedent exists now.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Russian sports magazine Sports Ekpress has stated that Koskinen will sign with the Islanders on july 1st. Huge goalie with great numbers both in KHL and finnish national team. Could this fix Islanders' goalie problems?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Maybe he’s finally devolved and ready to succeed in the NHL but until I see it I won’t be too excited.

I want Sorokin!!!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Russian sports magazine Sports Ekpress has stated that Koskinen will sign with the Islanders on july 1st. Huge goalie with great numbers both in KHL and finnish national team. Could this fix Islanders' goalie problems?

Thing I don't get is why does any team have to wait till July 1? He is a UFA right now

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Big 6'7 Finn. Played in the KHL a long time after being drafted by the Isles. Finally coming over to NA. Thoughts on him if you've seen him play,

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Great....we're so desperate we recalled a past garbage goalie.

We couldn't trade for a goalie...so we Snow'd...err..cheaped out.
Mikko wasn't good than but that doesn't mean he's bad now. Plus who do you want them to get?
You think the free agent market is oozing talent.
I'd like to see them draft Skarek in rd 3

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
In 2016 Koskinen said he received plenty of offers from the NHL but he decided to stay in SKA because of three main reasons.

First was the role he would get in the NHL compared to KHL. Said he didn't wan't to start from zero in the NHL and for his way up to a starter role. Also stated that a european goalie has to work harder than a north american goalie to get a spot in many teams.

Second was conditions since SKA is such a well handled organisation and he's also just a few hour train journey away from Finland.

Third was just simply the money.

Would like to see him in the NHL but would have had to have quite a turn in thinking from 2016 if he goes now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->