Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
this is laughable the guy hasnt prove anything at an NHL level and you guys are putting him ahead of Duchene, you guys clearly doesnt have a clue of how good Duchene actually is...

Yes maybe Sergachev will turn into a 1D who knows, who knows EXACLY, the kid could still bust. we're talking about Duchene here. not tyler bozak.

dont get me wrong i love sergachev as a prospect.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I agree that this is a worry. He needs to protect himself better because one big hit might end his career.

He seems to get hit a lot skating with the puck confidently but without knowledge that he's being lined up.

I'm thinking that at 6'3" and 220 lbs he previously has not had to worry too much about getting hit. Wake up time. Hopefully he will learn before he catches a concussion.

For sure...it's a bit of a concern. We all want a super HEALTHY development path for our Sergachev, so here's to hoping he somehow learns to stay away from those bone-crushing hits that may hinder his development (and give ulcers to Hab fans like us/me!).

Give the Kid some time, he was only 18 1/4 years old playing with Men (NHL) - Boston game I believe, He will fiqure it out, As long as they don't Rush him in.

I'm pro-time/patience...pro FULL development...whatever it takes for him to be VERY solid once he becomes a Hab. And, I still understand some Hab fans who want to see him in our Habs' lineup for next season (it's a strong possibility...especially IF we lose one of Emelin and Beaulieu to Las Vegas). But, still...I'd lean towards patience and FULL development. Heck, PK Subban played (at least) one full season in the AHL (or was it more?). So, if one season or 3/4 of a AHL season is good for Sergachev's development...so be it.

I just get nervous (worry-bug!) when I come here to read that he got demolished...again. I worry about concussions and delay in his development with a possible serious injury that can keep him away from ice to rest a concussion or another injury.

Same as you...I really hope he figures it out and hope it's sooner than later ('cause I don't want to see more threads about him getting demolished yet again).

Wondering...maybe he's a target sometimes since he himself likes to throw huge hits?

Sergachev just scored his 8th of the season

This is what I prefer reading!!:handclap:

Glad he's back to 100% healthy and doing what he does best...play solid/entertaining hockey (but...I still have to keep hoping he finds a way to stay away - a la Subban - from the players who are lining him up for a huge hit).

Sergachev...third in PPG (.97) in OHL behind Raddysh (1.29) and Centorame (1.00).
Both are two years older.

Mete is 10th at .89 ahead of Juolevi who is 14h at .80.

Great info...really getting more and more excited about our Mete.
Juulsen, Sergachev, Mete...lots of great value...good young D-depth. Really looking forward to watching Mete at next year's WJC...hope he makes the team.
(hoping Lernout's value will also rise).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2010
this is laughable the guy hasnt prove anything at an NHL level and you guys are putting him ahead of Duchene, you guys clearly doesnt have a clue of how good Duchene actually is...

Yes maybe Sergachev will turn into a 1D who knows, who knows EXACLY, the kid could still bust. we're talking about Duchene here. not tyler bozak.

My thoughts exactly.

Im ready to gamble the future.

It's been 24 years........ gotta be all in now.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
My thoughts exactly.

Im ready to gamble the future.

It's been 24 years........ gotta be all in now.

25th anniversary coming up!?;) (or maybe not?!:popcorn:).

I just hope if they make that ''big deal''...it's going to be similar to the Nieuwendyk for Iginla deal...where Dallas wins the CUP.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
25th anniversary coming up!?;) (or maybe not?!:popcorn:).

I just hope if they make that ''big deal''...it's going to be similar to the Nieuwendyk for Iginla deal...where Dallas wins the CUP.

They won it three years after the trade. By then Iginla was scoring almost 30 goals a year. But yes, they won it with Nieuwendyk and he was great in that Cup run.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I believe GM Joe Sakic is asking for a roster player, Sergachev + (1st or picks equivalent). Evaluating a young prospect like Sergachev isn't a hit or miss gamble, as many fans seem to think, while he's not Connor McDavid/ Crosby/ Gretzky, he's definitely going to be a good if not great NHLer.(Probably an outside chance he may only be a #3 Dman, most likely a 1st pairing with a very good chance to become a #1 with possible Norris candidacy in his career. (Basically a franchise type of Defenceman, a leader maybe future Captain.) This is most likely what the Habs braintrust envisions for him and the team, going forward with Shea Weber, Markov, Emelin, Petry as mentors, amongst many great character players in the Habs lineup & system. When one considers the salary cap, having many yrs. before his bridge contract(RFA yrs.) compared with two yrs. Duchene is signed for before becoming a UFA, that's a huge possible loss. Which is why both Ottawa & the Habs are balking at the Sakic demands for Landeskog & Duchene, rarely will a team give up this type of prospect unless they believe a SC Championship is a certainty by making the trade. Dallas traded Jerome Iginla for Joe Niuewendyck and won the SC, Calgary certainly won over the long term with Iginla, IMHO.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I don't want to to trade Sergachev, but if he's the asking price (along with a bit more like maybe a 1st) for a PROVEN #1C like Duchene and MB says no, then it's time for a new GM.

0.75 ppg (65ish points a year) and plays a complete game...you don't turn that down unless they're asking for the moon. And Sergachev isn't the moon.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Sergachev is the only habs prospect that has the potential to be a first liner or d pairing. You have to think about the future. Maybe if the Habs had other good young defencmen like Carolina... but they don't. And I"m not sure if Duchene will fix all of the Habs problems. Also, Duchene hasn't scored 60+ points in 3 SEASONS. He is not this true number one center everyone thinks he is.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Also, Duchene hasn't scored 60+ points in 3 SEASONS. He is not this true number one center everyone thinks he is.

I also answer this to you Hope. For your information, Tyler Bozak has a better season than Duchene. For me, Bozak, like a 50-55 pts pace player and one of the best at circles this year, should be the primary file on MB's desk. He wouldnt cost us a 1st, likely a 2nd + b prospect a la Hudon or Lernout. I would enjoy that bet a lot because. Also, when you bet on Duchene, you should be a top leader of this league because you'll probably agree to lose all or young valuables assets. Montreal is just the 5th in the East and could be eliminate in 1st round by the Blue Shirts. If this happen, I think a lot of people would be on mea culpa mode for the next decade.

he's definitely going to be a good if not great NHLer.(Probably an outside chance he may only be a #3 Dman, most likely a 1st pairing with a very good chance to become a #1 with possible Norris candidacy in his career. (Basically a franchise type of Defenceman, a leader maybe future Captain.) :

Dont play with your bone that much. I Like Sergachev like everybody, but he's about to be of Top 4 in the making for the moment. If Sergachev would be seen as a 1st pair, he would have been picked 3rd overall or 4th max. Also, he has an awesome season, but I cant tell he progresses as good as a Charlie MacVoy has done this year. Tough call

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Issue isn't that you're giving up our best prospect & potential top pairing D, but you're giving him up & the 7 years of cap control you get with that. We get 2 with Duchene. No guarantee he stays with us. We also have to sign Chucky, Price, Radulov & Pacioretty during the same time frame. And, cap isn't going up. We may not be able to afford Duchene. Then what? Lose him in UFA or trade him for a lot less because now he's a year or less from UFA.

If we had magically drafted Chabot then sure, because you have depth & can waste a prospect. But we don't have that.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
At this point, I don't think the habs are a Duchene away from contending for a cup. That's why I wouldn't trade Sergachev. Now a team like Pittsburgh or Washington will trade a Sprong or Bowey to make a big splash, but it just seems that the new CBA has constricted significant movement further. I would only accept trading Sergachev if we already got a serviceable top 4 D a la Petry , but on the left side, to play with Weber.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Any great players have all been prospects before playing in the NHL, thats a pretty poor argument, you have to watch the kid play to know he has tremendous upside and is close to be NHL ready.. Thats all about projection here and I would never trade a such kid with top pairing and quarterback potential for only 2 more years of Duchene, who is a very good player but not part of the elite in the league.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I don't want to to trade Sergachev, but if he's the asking price (along with a bit more like maybe a 1st) for a PROVEN #1C like Duchene and MB says no, then it's time for a new GM.

0.75 ppg (65ish points a year) and plays a complete game...you don't turn that down unless they're asking for the moon. And Sergachev isn't the moon.

65 points a year isn't first line centre on this board

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Friedman - who's your untouchable prospect?
Bergevin - the obvious one, you figure it out. :)
Friedman - Sergachev
Bergevin - you're smart guys.

pretty much. :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have been saying I wouldn't give up Sergachev for Duchene. We have zero chance to replace Markov if we trade Sergachev. Not that I wouldn't trade Sergachev, but for me it has to be a major move in order to so. Duchene did have one season over 59 pts but for 2 years of that plus the playoffs, I would rather try and either get him for a different package or look for something else. Granted maybe I underrate Duchene and of course Sergachev could end up a bust but it's too risky for me, guess we'll see if management feels the same way or not as clearly the pressure is on.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

Duchene is so good that his team sucks, and he has very few points. A team with McKinnon, and Landeskog. I think Duchene is overated by many people, none more than Joe Sakic. I think Roy knew something when he left that train wreck.

Keep Sergachev.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Friedman - who's your untouchable prospect?
Bergevin - the obvious one, you figure it out. :)
Friedman - Sergachev
Bergevin - you're smart guys.

pretty much. :laugh:

I've been preaching this for months now....SERGACHEV AINT GOING NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kid is incredible!

Jul 6, 2016
Habs already lost a young first pairing d-man for a so called #1 center: Torrez

Bergevin won't do the same mistake... I hope.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think Duchene is vastly overrated. I might trade Galchenyuk straight up for him but he is not remotely worth what Sakic believes he is. Can't blame Sakic because the laws of averages dictate that some idiot GM will sell his team's future at the deadline for him. Sergachev is not being moved period.

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Problem is that Avs are probably looking for something like:
Beaulieu + Sergachev + Gallagher + 1st for Duchene.
So it is not only Sergachev.
Most of us would do Sergachev for Duchene but this will never satisfy AVs.
Basically, we would not be much better, having to replace Beaulieu and Gallagher.

So far Sergachev is getting better.

We also have to remember our last top-12 picks in the last 10 years:
  • Galchenyuk;
  • McDonagh;
  • Price.

So far, only Chychrun seems to be better.

I understand that for the next 3-4 years Duchene >> Sergachev.
But Sergachev could be with us for 7 years with low SCap whereas Duchene will either be a 'two years rental" or will cost us 7-9M X 7 years in two years.

Trying to compete with Pens who are paying Crosby 8M (or Edm who will likely pay McDavid at 8-9M) with Duchene at 8M in a Cap world is going to be tough.

With Price, Pacioretty, Radulov contracts in the pipeline we would be in worse situation than Chicago who have pretty good deals with Crawford/Keith/Seabrook/Anisimov/Panarin.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Problem is that Avs are probably looking for something like:
Beaulieu + Sergachev + Gallagher + 1st for Duchene.
So it is not only Sergachev.
Most of us would do Sergachev for Duchene but this will never satisfy AVs.
Basically, we would not be much better, having to replace Beaulieu and Gallagher.

So far Sergachev is getting better.

We also have to remember our last top-12 picks in the last 10 years:
  • Galchenyuk;
  • McDonagh;
  • Price.

So far, only Chychrun seems to be better.

I understand that for the next 3-4 years Duchene >> Sergachev.
But Sergachev could be with us for 7 years with low SCap whereas Duchene will either be a 'two years rental" or will cost us 7-9M X 7 years in two years.

Trying to compete with Pens who are paying Crosby 8M (or Edm who will likely pay McDavid at 8-9M) with Duchene at 8M in a Cap world is going to be tough.

With Price, Pacioretty, Radulov contracts in the pipeline we would be in worse situation than Chicago who have pretty good deals with Crawford/Keith/Seabrook/Anisimov/Panarin.
I would not trade Sergachev vs Duchene straight one for one.

He is a rare breed. Not many defenseman are like him.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I think Duchene is vastly overrated. I might trade Galchenyuk straight up for him but he is not remotely worth what Sakic believes he is. Can't blame Sakic because the laws of averages dictate that some idiot GM will sell his team's future at the deadline for him. Sergachev is not being moved period.
Galchenyuk can get to PPG. So far, it is pretty doubtfull that Duchene will ever get at PPG pace.
He may never get 70 points again.
At 26 years old, players have already show their best baring a few exceptions (one over 100).

So far Galchenyuk has one 30 goals season at 22 while Duchene had one 30 goals season at 25 years old.

One must remember that Duchene always had top line icetime and top PP TOI during his whole career while Galchenyuk only had top PP TOI since mid-season last year.

To me: Galchenyuk > Duchene (offensive upside >>, Defense <)
and two years from now we may find that
Galchenyuk >> Duchene.

One thing for sure Galchenyuk has being doing better year in year on.
At his age, he still has room to improve.
Give him a full season on top line and top PP before judging.
I am pretty confident that he could get top-10 a few seasons and stick around top-20 most of his career.
For now, he has a pace of 64 points and by the end of the season he might very well have a pace of 70+ points.

Was Duchene ever a top-10 scorer in the league?
I don't think he will ever be in the future.
Back in 2012-13 he was 26th and in 2013-14 he was 18th (9 points behind the 10th player).

Finally, Galchenyuk is taller, heavier and stronger than Duchene.
He's not scoring 65 points a year. His year to year scoring resembles Plekanec at that age quite closely.
He is a little bit better than Plekanec (54 points pace vs 62 points pace) but Plek had more defensive responsibilities.

Plek was not the first center when Koivu, Gomez first two years, DD for a few years and Galchenyuk last year.
Meanwhile, Duchesne was a top PP TOI year in year on.

So the real difference might be even lower than 54 vs 62.
This season, Duchene is not impressive anyway: 34 points (pace of 51 points is less than Plek last year).

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

The thing is, he is not a #1C if you want to win a cup. He's a #2C on a good team. Sergachev projects to be at least a top pairing LHD PMD with size. That is something that this team needs significantly more than a #2C. He is also cap controlled for 7 seasons whereas Duchene is a UFA in 2 seasons.

Valuewise, that is a bad trade for Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad