Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Bergevin won't trade Sergachev for Duchene. If he was going to do that it would be done already because COL won't get anything better for Duchene.

You have to be really careful trading young players because with someone like Sergachev you are giving up, most likely, a top 4 defenseman on a rookie contract for a few years. Which is very valuable just as is.

Now if he reaches his potential, you ****ed up...

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I would not trade Sergachev vs Duchene straight one for one.

He is a rare breed. Not many defenseman are like him.
For now he has:
  • NHL size;
  • Can rush the puck pretty well;
  • Physical/punishing game;
  • A great shot.
We will see next year if he can play in our team.
If he could become like Werenski.

But trading him one for one for Duchene would give us a better center line.
Not sure the improvement over Plek is worth to trade Duchene for Sergachev.

Still Avs want a lot more: Beaulieu + Gallagher + Sergachev + 1st (or 2nd).

Not sure we are a better team removing all those players leaving glaring holes on bottom LD and second line RW. Just looking at RW, Gallagher can score 50-55 points while Shaw could only get 30 points and Scherback is not NHL material for now.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Bergevin won't trade Sergachev for Duchene. If he was going to do that it would be done already because COL won't get anything better for Duchene.

You have to be really careful trading young players because with someone like Sergachev you are giving up, most likely, a top 4 defenseman on a rookie contract for a few years. Which is very valuable just as is.

Now if he reaches his potential, you ****ed up...
Let's say he has 90+% chances to become a top-4 and 50% chances to become a top-2.

There are about 50-60 top-2 d-men in the league (unless you assume that only best 30 are top-2).
Basically about 4 every draft.
So Sergachev is in the picture for becoming a top-2 d-men.

A top-2 D-men >> #2C.
We are not talking about Tavares here.

A Sergachev-Weber duo could be pretty good. Both at 6'3"/230 lbs physical punishing d-men with great shot.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The thing is, he is not a #1C if you want to win a cup. He's a #2C on a good team. Sergachev projects to be at least a top pairing LHD PMD with size. That is something that this team needs significantly more than a #2C. He is also cap controlled for 7 seasons whereas Duchene is a UFA in 2 seasons.

Valuewise, that is a bad trade for Montreal.

Exactly how many centers get well over 0.75ppg per season? I'd imagine a handful. So realistically there's only like 5-8 #1 centers if your definition of a first line center is near ppg

IMO a center that hits 60 points a season is at the very least a low end #1C...this isn't the old days anymore where we see people regularly hitting 100pts

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Totally agree. Blue chip prospect with immense upside.

IMO,

Next season in a sheltered role (3rd pair, 2-PP), he could contribute to this hockey club. He could really shine playing with Markov... let him learn from him while he's still here.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Just call him up. We need him NOW.

It'd be a dik move to Sergachev's team who are also hosting the Memorial Cup, but we don't have any affiliation with them anyway, if you can have a player who can help your reeling team now, you use him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just call him up. We need him NOW.

It'd be a dik move to Sergachev's team who are also hosting the Memorial Cup, but we don't have any affiliation with them anyway, if you can have a player who can help your reeling team now, you use him.

We can't call him up.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
They won it three years after the trade. By then Iginla was scoring almost 30 goals a year. But yes, they won it with Nieuwendyk and he was great in that Cup run.

Oh totally forgot about that, thanks. Thought it was the same season.
I was actually going to write ''maybe they could have won it by keeping Iginla vs trading Nieuwendyk'' (but I thought they won it that year...when they acquired Nieuwendyk and so I thought Iginla was too raw for a CUP run...but it was 3yrs later...thanks for correction...totally forgot about that, cheers).

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The only reason that a Sergachev for Duchene trade makes sense is if he puts us over the top into undisputed contender territory. Thing is even if he get Duchene I still think we need a top 6 winger to be a top level contender.

Another factor to consider is we don't have any nhl ready defenseman that are LHD right now and Markov is going to retire in a few years.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The only reason that a Sergachev for Duchene trade makes sense is if he puts us over the top into undisputed contender territory. Thing is even if he get Duchene I still think we need a top 6 winger to be a top level contender.

Another factor to consider is we don't have any nhl ready defenseman that are LHD right now and Markov is going to retire in a few years.

Serg isnt a ld

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

We arent top seed in the worst NHL division and we could actually miss the playoffs. Pitching Duchene's proposals type is a king of gamble that I dont realy like

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Serg isnt a ld

He's both, why would you thnk he's STRICTLY RD? on his 8th goal he was LD in the vid

every single defenseman can play both sides, its not "one or the other" its not like the other side of the ice is this strange foreign mystery to defenseman

there's a preference sure, but if asked, you could still put Weber on LD

Jul 6, 2016
He's both, why would you thnk he's STRICTLY RD? on his 8th goal he was LD in the vid

every single defenseman can play both sides, its not "one or the other" its not like the other side of the ice is this strange foreign mystery to defenseman

there's a preference sure, but if asked, you could still put Weber on LD

Weber likes the left side ONLY to shoot on PP. Same with Subban.

RH d-men are rarely able to play defensively on their "wrong" side. Lefties, for some reasons, do better on their offside when needed.

Habs NEED left shooting d-men. the team is pretty much stucked with righties. That is why they would prefer Sergachev to play left side. On PP, of course, he could switch to right side.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Weber likes the left side ONLY to shoot on PP. Same with Subban.

RH d-men are rarely able to play defensively on their "wrong" side. Lefties, for some reasons, do better on their offside when needed.

Habs NEED left shooting d-men. the team is pretty much stucked with righties. That is why they would prefer Sergachev to play left side. On PP, of course, he could switch to right side.

Lol.. yeah you dont get what im saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad