Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
He's learning a hell of a lot from practices and watching the team from the press box. I'm all for this. He'll go back down sometime after Christmas.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They want to be sure that everybody else is doing the job and that they might not have that great of a confidence in Barberio who would be the first callup.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Pat hickey said that he things he will stay up till the world juniors because the habs think he will learn more practicing and working out with the Habs. Expect him to go back to Windsor in the new year.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's learning a hell of a lot from practices and watching the team from the press box. I'm all for this. He'll go back down sometime after Christmas.

This is how I see it as well. He's learning from the pros what needs to be done day in, day out to be able to succeed in the NHL. Spend time with his Russian buddies, spend time around Weber/Gallagher to watch how they practice, understand what to pack and how to handle road trips etc....it's all beneficial.

He'll get in a couple more games before he's sent back and then he can go on his Memorial Cup journey. Perfect situation for him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth's right now.......Sergachev is developing by not playing, and Big Mac was told to go down to the A and play alot and dominate....to help his development?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Looks like he's been spending a lot of time with Markov & Emelin, being around 2 veteran Russian D will help him prepare more to be a full time NHLer next year especially since both train very hard. Also, being around Weber in practices will help.

He'll still have a ton of hockey to play in Windsor this year with the Memorial Cup.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Seems to me he needs to be playing hockey, be it in the NHL or not. I feel he can do better then Pateryn so what not play him there?

Several reasons why he's not playing:

He's 18.

They're giving him a chance to understand the NHL game and lifestyle. He's being surrounded by professionals on and off the ice.

The Habs are deep on defensemen, and Pateryn has played well.

He's a left handed shot and shouldn't be playing the right side at such a young age.

He's soaking up everything right now.

Sergachev is the future on the blue line and a decision will be made on him in a couple weeks would be my guess.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Redmond is injured. And if we call Barbeiro up, then he has to go through waiver again when sent down.

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013

I agree to a certain point, but does that out weigh actual game play? I would like to see against Tampa tonight.

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013

He's 18.

They're giving him a chance to understand the NHL game and lifestyle. He's being surrounded by professionals on and off the ice.

He's a left handed shot and shouldn't be playing the right side at such a young age.

Sergachev is the future on the blue line and a decision will be made on him in a couple weeks would be my guess.

Yeah I agree on that. Can they still not have him play a few more games then he is?

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth's right now.......Sergachev is developing by not playing, and Big Mac was told to go down to the A and play alot and dominate....to help his development?

I think they are slighty different cases however. Sergy they know has all the talent and want him to learn from vets but McCarron they want him to develope his skills which he will get from playong more.

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
You're right. Barberio must be put on waivers again after 10 games played or 30 days on the roster (cummulative).

Good reason to keep Sergachev for a few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback, I am not fimiliar enough with waiver details, so I guess they do have a reason to keep him up.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011

He's 18.

Pretty much this. Being around NHL players, practicing with them, training with them, travelling with them, it's all very beneficial for an 18 year old defenseman. It's clear he's the future of the blueline, but he's not there yet. They're letting him stay up so that he can learn as much as possible about being an NHL player. I imagine they let him play for Russia at the World Juniors, then return him to Windsor in the new year, with a wealth of experience. Everything he's learning right now, from guys like Weber, Markov, Emelin, Gallagher, Price, etc. will only benefit him next season and in the future when he becomes a full-time NHL player.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015

Respect the D said it better than me.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

McCarron already had his NHL trial last year, now it's time to dominate his level to get to the next one.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I recall reading somewhere, maybe Hockey I/O, that Sergachev himself stated he has learned a lot from the pressbox.

So, the real issue is if he plays nine games and/or sticks around for 40. The nine games burns his first contract year. More than 40 games gets him closer to UFA.

I didn't count but I think they can let him practice and learn then send him back for the WJC and Memorial cup before burning up either.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Not all prospects are created equal. The things they need to work on to become solid pros vary. Sergachev already has the size, strength, skating, shooting, offensive awareness and poise of a good NHL defenseman. His biggest flaw to me is his reaction speed. It's indeed a big flaw for a defenseman in this league.

Question should be what will help him improve on his reaction speed most? Playing games against other junior players who are smaller, slower than him? Or playing hard in practice defending against guys like Pacioretty, Radulov or Gallagher, while getting pro tips on the daily by world class defensemen like Weber and countryman Markov?

It's a tough call for sure but I understand management's preference for the ladder, for now. He can learn a great amount by practicing with the pros and playing the occasional game in this league.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Big Mac had his chance, 2x. If he could skate like Sergachev, he would be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino