Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownies

I was listening to former NHL enforcer Enrico Ciccone the other day talking about how the Stars helped him when he came in the league. He said the GM (I think it was Gainey) showed him a schedule with the games he was going to play (or not play), so he would be well prepared each time and he'd have time between games to watch tapes of his play and practice on it.

He said the problem with going back to junior for a top prospect is that you are probably the best guy on the team, so the coach will focus on lesser players during practices to improve the team.

I still think that after a month or two this way he should go back to junior if he's not used more, but his experience right now is probably really usefull.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
My guess is they'll keep him until the world junior. Then he'll play with Russia, then finish the season in Juniors with the memorial cup.

Until then, he learns a lot just by the fact he's practicing with adults and watching them "be", while playing a few games here and there.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I think they are slighty different cases however. Sergy they know has all the talent and want him to learn from vets but McCarron they want him to develope his skills which he will get from playong more.
I am convinced that timing is also a factor... there are 2 veteran Russian D on the team right now, and it is quite possible that neither of those 2 will be on the team next year. The help that those fellow Russians can give Sergachev, not just in explaining how to play defense but also helping him feel at home adapting to life in the NHL, will be invaluable.

The timing isn't ideal, it would be a lost opportunity if Habs management didn't seize on the opportunity to have Markov and Emelin mentor Sergachev. In fact, I believe that if management felt certain that Markov (and Emelin) were to be on the Habs next year then Sergachev would have been sent back to junior already since they could have mentored him next year.

In McCarron's case, there is no such time factor at work.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pretty much this. Being around NHL players, practicing with them, training with them, travelling with them, it's all very beneficial for an 18 year old defenseman. It's clear he's the future of the blueline, but he's not there yet. They're letting him stay up so that he can learn as much as possible about being an NHL player. I imagine they let him play for Russia at the World Juniors, then return him to Windsor in the new year, with a wealth of experience. Everything he's learning right now, from guys like Weber, Markov, Emelin, Gallagher, Price, etc. will only benefit him next season and in the future when he becomes a full-time NHL player.

We aren't going to burn a year of his ELC. He'll be back for sure in a week or so.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think they are slighty different cases however. Sergy they know has all the talent and want him to learn from vets but McCarron they want him to develope his skills which he will get from playong more.

There's also the fact that McCarron is playing with men in the AHL and Sergachev would be playing with "kids" in the CHL.

The NHL is a little bit too fast for Sergachev right now but physically he's far ahead of the average CHLer. I personally don't think you learn that much by dominating lesser opponent. I think you learn by being challenged and by playing with the best.

While i think the AHL is grossly overrated by some around here it's still a league with men and there's good pro players very close to the NHL level like Barberio in it. MacCarron can still learn things from the AHL. I don't think Sergachev have much to learn from junior outside of the u20 tournament and the memorial cup tournament later this year.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Redmond is injured. And if we call Barbeiro up, then he has to go through waiver again when sent down.

And why does it have to be Barberio?

Could just as easily be a waiver exempt defenseman or one unlikely to be claimed who can warm the press box

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth's right now.......Sergachev is developing by not playing, and Big Mac was told to go down to the A and play alot and dominate....to help his development?

Actually, Big Mac was sent down so that he could be goaded into fights by career AHLers who are trying to make a name for themselves. :sarcasm:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's practicing with the team, that's important too. He needs to get used to competing against NHL caliber players, be it in a real game or in practice.

Sending him to junior won't accomplish much for him imo, his biggest issue is the amount of time it takes him to make a play in the d-zone. Junior players can't punish him for slow decision making, NHL players can and will.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Redmond is injured. And if we call Barbeiro up, then he has to go through waiver again when sent down.

Barberio already cleared waivers. Teams had their chance to claim him. He can be recalled at will without waivers. At least that's how I understand it. I am sure there is more to it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am torn on this particular issue. I think he should go back. He has to play in game situations. Practicing against your own teammates is clearly not the same thing. You can't hurt his development by sending him down but you can damn sure hurt his development having him eating hot dogs in the press box.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Barberio already cleared waivers. Teams had their chance to claim him. He can be recalled at will without waivers. At least that's how I understand it. I am sure there is more to it.

I think you are correct. Once a player has cleared, he can be called up and sent down over the rest of the season. I don't know if there is a minimum stay requirement but outside of that, the team doesn't risk losing him over the course of the current season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth's right now.......Sergachev is developing by not playing, and Big Mac was told to go down to the A and play alot and dominate....to help his development?

I think the difference is that McCarron is in the AHL, the closest thing to NHL in North America, and that he can get called up at any time.

Sergachev, on the other hand, can only go back to Junior, and once he goes down, they can't bring him back up. He will surely be playing more, but there is no reason to rush him. They can keep him up here where he can still learn from the real pros. If Sergachev was eligible to go to St. John's, he'd already be there and be playing.

Both players are in situations that they and the organization can benefit from.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think you are correct. Once a player has cleared, he can be called up and sent down over the rest of the season. I don't know if there is a minimum stay requirement but outside of that, the team doesn't risk losing him over the course of the current season.

I know they did away with re-entry waivers a few years ago. But if they want to send him back down, do they need to place him on waivers again?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know they did away with re-entry waivers a few years ago. But if they want to send him back down, do they need to place him on waivers again?

It's a one time exposure to a league wide waiver claim per season, as I understand it. After that, he can be sent down as often as needed within that season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am torn on this particular issue. I think he should go back. He has to play in game situations. Practicing against your own teammates is clearly not the same thing. You can't hurt his development by sending him down but you can damn sure hurt his development having him eating hot dogs in the press box.

A real good example of why it's beneficial for him to stick around for now is at yesterday's or Tuesday's practice, Petry took Sergachev to the side and started explaining to him what to do in a certain situation. And Sergachev was there listening to what the veteran D-man was telling him.

It's not a game situation, but no one's really gonna take him aside to explain to him such things in Windsor. His coaches can, but if the coach is busy with other players, it won't be a teammate who will teach Sergachev some NHL-level lessons. In his case now, if any of the coaches are busy elsewhere, guys like Petry, Weber, Markov, Gallagher, Plekanec, and others can share some NHL knowledge with the kid in the meantime.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A real good example of why it's beneficial for him to stick around for now is at yesterday's or Tuesday's practice, Petry took Sergachev to the side and started explaining to him what to do in a certain situation. And Sergachev was there listening to what the veteran D-man was telling him.

It's not a game situation, but no one's really gonna take him aside to explain to him such things in Windsor. His coaches can, but if the coach is busy with other players, it won't be a teammate who will teach Sergachev some NHL-level lessons. In his case now, if any of the coaches are busy elsewhere, guys like Petry, Weber, Markov, Gallagher, Plekanec, and others can share some NHL knowledge with the kid in the meantime.

However, there is the severe downside of playing limited minutes, being removed during key game situations, being taken out of the roster during certain games. And, should he stay beyond the 10-game threshold, he'll be a year closer to becoming a UFA. All for what -- missing out on a ton of development time that includes a Memorial Cup berth. I don't know how him being used as a depth defenseman helps his cause much.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

I said it earlier in this thread.

Once a player cleared waivers, he can be recall at will until he plays 10 games or stay 30 days on the roster. It's cumulative, doesn't have to be straight.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I said it earlier in this thread.

Once a player cleared waivers, he can be recall at will until he plays 10 games or stay 30 days on the roster. It's cumulative, doesn't have to be straight.

Hadn't read earlier contributions in this thread, so I missed it. So there is a minimum stay every time he's called up, I wasn't sure of the details. Thanks.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Practicing with the team is fine but the kid needs action, play a lot and improve his game. The kid just turned 18 not long ago. Send the kid down to the juniors already.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Keep him right where he is. Markov, Radulov, and Emelin are perfect mentors. Can you imagine the hazing? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad